Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Kobo touch(n905)vs kindle latest touch

i have a kobo touch n905b, compare to latest kindle touch(basic), in terms screen quality, how different its? I really like in kobo you can change font size whatever I want, but in kindle, font size either too small or too big, if screen quality similar, i will just keep kobo

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Maybe go to a Best Buy and see one of the 7th gen. Kindles to see what you think. I think the screen is very nice for the price point. It is not high res., but Amazon is good (better than anyone else, IMO) at making text look good on e-ink screens, even the lower end ones.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Comparing the specs, the Kindle has some plusses, but the screen isn't one of them. The screen on the Kindle "Basic" is the exact same as your Touch.

If you're looking for a bit of an upgrade, I'd consider the Kobo Aura which is now only $99, $20 more then an ad-supported Kindle Basic. Or, in other words, if you wanted to buy an ad-free Kindle, you could get the Aura with a better screen plus a front light for the same price.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Comparing the specs, the Kindle has some plusses, but the screen isn't one of them. The screen on the Kindle "Basic" is the exact same as your Touch.

If you're looking for a bit of an upgrade, I'd consider the Kobo Aura which is now only $99, $20 more then an ad-supported Kindle Basic. Or, in other words, if you wanted to buy an ad-free Kindle, you could get the Aura with a better screen plus a front light for the same price.
Forget the Aura. For an upgrade, go with the Glo HD. From what I have seen in a roundabout way, the Glo HD screen might be better than the new PW3 screen. I've seen the Glo HD vs the Voyage and the screens are very similar except the Glo HD has a better front light. I've seen the PW3 vs the Voyage and the screen on the Voyage is better (my guess is due to the difference in the layers). So that would make the screen on the Glo HD better than the PW3. The only thing I havbe no way of doing any sort of comparison yet is the front lights between the Glo HD and the PW3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
This is where figures and tech specs can be misleading. I don't think the screen on the Kobo Aura looks better than either the basic Kindle nor the Kobo Touch, as its not a good example of a lighted e-ink screen. A far better upgrade would be the Kobo Glo HD.

If the OP doesn't want a lighted screen, the only big plusses of the basic Kindle over the Kobo Touch is the fact that its better supported (since its new while the Kobo Touch is about 4 years old), it will feel a lot faster as it has a faster processor.

Side by side the screen might look a little better (I am sure Amazon improved the contrast on the Kindle over the original 'basic' model when the previous model was released) whereas the Kobo hasn't been updated. But even if that is the case, its minimal and there will be very little to choose between the screens.

Also, there are definitely not the same font options available on the Kindle compared to your Kobo. So unless you are looking at changing for reasons other than the screen, no, it's not an upgrade.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Oh, I agree that the Glo HD is a good way to go. However, as the OP was looking at going from a Touch to a Basic, I figure price is a consideration here.

Smartie, if you're happy with how Kobo does things, there's a Kobo upgrade at every level for just about the same price as a Kindle.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Thanks all. Decided to keep Kobo. I really like the flexibility of font size(I am short sight)

Last edited by Smartie; 06-23-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote