Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The vnc viewer will connect back to the host PC. So please describe what exactly is timing out and what error you see then.

I'm not sure what the blog post you linked to is really about, but it seems to be horribly outdated. Note that "tethering" is banned from this forum, too. However, that post isn't really about tethering at all. I'm not exactly sure what it is about, though. Please ignore it and refer to tinyapps.org's description when you're on MacOS (and even if you aren't, the kindle side of things would be equal), otherwise refer to the kindlevncviewer thread in this forum.

I notice again that you're running a Kindle DXG with 3.2.1. It might be messed up regarding debug mode, which might be why it does not react properly to the debug commands.

What are you talking about regarding your second point? Is it stuck at a "USB plugged" screen? Would be strange, since this screen is not supposed to appear when in USB network mode.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
^^ Thanks for your patience hawhill

Yes, I have been using tinyapps' mac description and adapting to my windows 8 config so:
1) VineServer's windows version, set up authentication to "none" then "only use protocol 3.3" in the legacy tab
2) currently hovering the mouse over the icon says "vnc server (user): not accepting connections"
3) Add new client --> 198.162.2.2 --> connection failed

4) I then used that blog's simply written steps:
Quote:
On my machine, the new ethernet connection was created as "Local Area Connection 3" and shows up as "DIRECTV HDPC20". YMMV

Go into Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center.
Click on "Change Adapter Settings"

Do a right click on your main network adapter, click on the "Sharing" tab
Check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection"

Click "OK"
You will get prompted that the adapter interface will be changed to "192.168.0.1". That's okay, confirm.

Now go and edit the other network adapter "DIRECTV HDPC20" (or whatever it's called on your machine)
Click on the "Internet Protocol Version 4" and "Properties"
change the IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 , subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Validate with OK.
---

Open a command line (windows + R, cmd)
(Note Telnet isn't activated by default in Vista / Windows 7, go into the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features", click "Turn Windows Features on or Off" and check "Telnet Client").
Another alternative is HyperTerminal from Hilgraeve...

telnet 192.168.2.2
It is telnetting in- whether it be by tinyapp's description or the outdated blog that fails: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed."

Attached some pictures ("Enabling" the disabled RNDIS gadget shows "enabled" as a windows prompt but remains disabled)
http://imgur.com/a/17PEn

PS: Permanent usb drive mode began after changing file name to "Auto"
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bloor: Yep, apparently, toggling usbnet through the search bar is broken in the FW-3.x-on-DXG case, so, just forget about it, and use it in auto mode like geekmaster said, or use launchpad/kite to toggle usbnet. (Don't have a DXG to debug this, and too damn lazy anyway ^^).

Keep in mind that if you see the 'USB Drive Mode' screen, your Kindle is probably *NOT* in usbnet mode, it's still in mass storage, or, worse, 0-byte fake mass storage mode.

Also check that you're using the latest USBnetwork version, auto mode was finicky/broken in earlier version, and might very well still be in the FW-3.x-on-DXG case. If it still fails with the latest version in auto mode, disable it, and try toggling it via launchpad, which is known to work.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
bloor

Hi

Wouldnt "mass storage device" show up in Devices instead of rndis adapter if the dxg wasnt in usbnet mode? I'd been running under the assumption that the display screens just a glitch...0-byte fake mass storage mode? Sounds exotic

I'd been using the latest USBnetwork version from your sticky page. I'd love to access the kindle again and fiddle around but ofcourse it doesnt show up anymore as a storage device in My Computer.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloor View Post
...0-byte fake mass storage mode? Sounds exotic
This mode is mentioned in the GPL source code for the Kindles. It is a fallback mode for charging a Kindle from the USB port with a depleted battery, such that most of the electronics in the Kindle are turned off (including the SDRAM memory) so that it draws no more than 100mA. It uses the same USB VID/PID as "normal" mass storage mode.

Are you sure that your battery has a full charge? Kindles charge well in fastboot mode, from my experience, but they need *some* charging from a wall charger to get into fastboot mode, if battery is TOO discharged.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
bloor

Permanent usb mode happened **as soon as** I changed file name to "auto". However, to rule out all "normal" issues, I'll let this baby charge from an outlet for a few hours.

Thanks!

EDIT: No luck :/ the device remains at USB drive mode after hours of wall charging

Last edited by bloor; 04-09-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
So to get things sorted, let me check my assumption: The device currently shows the USB drive mode logo, no matter if you plug it in or out of the PC? It does not react to any key presses? So it is essentially non-working at all right now? Or is it still just not in USB network mode and otherwise functioning normal?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Permanent usb mode happened **as soon as** I changed file name to "auto". However, to rule out all "normal" issues, I'll let this baby charge from an outlet for a few hours.

Thanks!

EDIT: No luck :/ the device remains at USB drive mode after hours of wall charging
Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling your USBnet hack? Perhaps it is damaged. Try reinstalling it but verify that it is the correct version. And verify that it is configured properly. It installs a startup script in your kindle, which runs the dropbear SSH server when the kindle reboots (if it sees the "auto" file in the usbnet folder).
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Also, just to check another thing: When in auto mode, *don't* boot with the Kindle plugged in to a compter, or exactly this kind of stuff might happen.

And, like hawhill said, if it's still showing the USB screen when unplugged/plugged to a wall charger, your best bet is probably a hard reboot ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
bloor

!! Success! Hard booting (hold for 30 secs) sent it back to happy kindle mode!

Now...all I'll do is boot again with it plugged to the compu..

A small miracle...on rebooting, I plug the dxg to the laptop and there it is..rndis. Follow tinyapp's advice and the first bytes start pouring into the DX

I now have the same problem as ddd12323 on hawhills original megathread and will follow up there.

Thank you all for troubleshooting this with me...guess the old joke about computers is right: when in doubt, restart.

-Cheers
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
guess the old joke about computers is right: when in doubt, restart.

-Cheers
What "old joke?" -- restarting is always the first advice I give for fixing computer problems. It is not a joke.

Which reminds me -- when I was a child, one of my mentors was a TV repair man. The vast majority of service calls to houses to fix their TV turned out to be that after somebody unplugged the vacuum cleaner, they forgot to plug the TV back in. Houses only had two electrical outlets per room back then. People did not want to pay his minimum service call fee just for him to plug in their TV, so he would clean their TV tuner (mechanical switches that corrode) before giving them his bill.

The point is, the majority of computer problems (and the kindle IS a computing device) is that they need a restart, like the majority of TV (and other appliance problems) was that they needed to be plugged in to an electrical outlet.

Anyway, we are glad that you got past that problem, and on to the next one.