Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Applescript to resize/greyscale Kindle Screensaver Files

Hello all,

When I first got my Kindle, I spent some time looking for a very (very!) simple way to batch convert my existing jpg files to greyscale (colour renders poorly on the Kindle) images of the appropriate size for my Kindle 3.

There are many options, but none of which were suitably easy to use. However, I did find that any joe can create an Applescript to do this. It's ridiculously easy.

As it may save other readers the notional effort of creating their own script, I attach mine. It outputs to a file called "Kindled" on the desktop. You may need to create such. Simply drag and drop any file or folder with source jpgs on it.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: zip Resize.zip (224.6 KB, 398 views)
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Barney Stinson
ಠ_ಠ
Barney Stinson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Barney Stinson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Barney Stinson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Barney Stinson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
You, good sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I'm working on a website for Kindle Screensavers and I feel as if this'll come in really handy.

Edit: Ah, spoke to soon.

Last edited by Barney Stinson; 01-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Barney Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
Is imagemagick available for macosx? This is how I'd do it in linux:

$ convert -colorspace gray input.jpg output.jpg

and to resize as well:

$ convert -colorspace gray input.jpg -resize 800x600! output.jpg

Last edited by azit; 01-05-2011 at 03:41 AM.
azit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
soymicmic
soymicmic began at the beginning.

Device: AmazonKindle 3
I use this:

Code:
convert $FILE$ -colorspace Gray -resize 600x800> -gravity center -background Gray -extent 600x800 kindle_$NAME$.png
"!" --> aspect ratio KO
soymicmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymicmic View Post
I use this:

Code:
convert $FILE$ -colorspace Gray -resize 600x800> -gravity center -background Gray -extent 600x800 kindle_$NAME$.png
"!" --> aspect ratio KO
So what do you want to do? Add border trims to the image?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
soymicmic
soymicmic began at the beginning.

Device: AmazonKindle 3
Yes, I prefer to maintain the aspect-ratio and fill the remaining space with gray
soymicmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymicmic View Post
Yes, I prefer to maintain the aspect-ratio and fill the remaining space with gray
Well, your choice. I prefer to crop them.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screensaver files, screensaver hack