Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1,T2,T3->Kobo Forma&Likebook Ares
Easier access to "Find in calibre library" function

Dear Koreader users,

I am a recent migrant to KOReader, but already feel quite at home here:-) However, there are still a few quirks I am trying to figure out. I have a large library and found that to search the library, I have to first open the Filemanager and then go to the Search menu within the Filemanager to actually search in the Calibre metadata. Is this correct? Or is there an easier way to access this? Ideally, I would like to define a tap-action to quickly access this, but having it on the document menu would also be enough.

Another question is the browsing of the library. On my previous reader, the Sony PRS T3, I could order all books by "date added" and look at the most recent ones first. Often I do not remember exactly what I added to read later, so I would use this to find books to read. It would be great, if the "Find in calibre" could also have an option to browse "Newest" books.

All the best,
Ctop
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Welcome!

Ideally someone who uses calibre would look into those kinds of things.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
It's FM only, so having it in the Document menu doesn't make much sense to me?

As for sorting the results, it's been a while since I checked, but I don't recall if there's a date in there. If there is, it might be doable if someone cared enough. If there isn't, not going to happen, as the only interest in going that route is not having to deal with the local FS .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's FM only, so having it in the Document menu doesn't make much sense to me?
Well, my use case is: While I am reading, I come across a reference to another book, which I would like to check. So I want to search for it and open it! No need for the FM at all.

Ctop
Old 02-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctop View Post
Well, my use case is: While I am reading, I come across a reference to another book, which I would like to check. So I want to search for it and open it! No need for the FM at all.

Ctop
Is that possible on other software? I mean search within a book for other books in your device.

Right now, that feature is part of the filemanager app, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader...agersearch.lua. For most of us that makes sense as "search" is somewhat context aware: you can search for books/OPDS in the filemanager but you cannot search full text.

Anyways, if you feel like it is an improvement to have that menu entry available within a book, you can submit a PR on github. "Feature creep" is not in our vocabulary and that's somehow weird because both dictionary and wikipedia lookups are available on the file manager and the reader
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a pretty big distinction though. Opening a random book just to look up a word in the dictionary feels weird and unnecessary even if in practical terms it's only one simple extra step. Because the book you want to open is the dictionary, not something random. Going to the file manager to look up another book isn't comparable because that's logical.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
ctop
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
There's a pretty big distinction though. Opening a random book just to look up a word in the dictionary feels weird and unnecessary even if in practical terms it's only one simple extra step. Because the book you want to open is the dictionary, not something random. Going to the file manager to look up another book isn't comparable because that's logical.
I do not follow you here. I read a book which has a reference to, let's say the "Art of Loving" by Erich Fromm. Now I remember that I do have that book in my library and want to go there. Why would I want to use the file manager here? And in fact looking for any book with the file manager is so tedious and impractical, that I would always prefer to look for the book in the catalog and open it right there. So I could put it the other way round: I do not even understand why there needs to be a file manager. And why the library search should be on the menu of the file manager, but not on the main reader menu.

Ctop
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
ctop: the filemanager is an app (like the reader or the opds client). The search in calibre is a function of the filemanager app.

You want to refactor the code, so the search in calibre will become available on all the apps. Feel free to do so. The code you need to refactor is in my previous post.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
Frenzie
Guru

@ctop I was responding to what @pazos said about it being conceptually weird that the dictionary is available in both while the calibre metadata search is not.

Going through the file browser may be a mildly undesirable extra one or two steps if you just want the calibre metadata search, but it's not illogical in the way opening a random document to access the dictionary would be. You're going into the interface where you select documents to pick another means of selecting documents.

Think of it in physical terms. You wouldn't grab a random book in order to consult a reference work. But you would walk up to your bookcase to get at your index catalog contained within.

That's not any kind of objection. I'm perfectly happy with someone adding this action to the gesture manager (less sure about the reader menu).
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
From the sound of the post, you might be looking to adding a "file search" action to the selected text actions. The options provided for the "File Browser" fit its expected purpose very well, in my opinion. The File Browser's search options should provide more control/scope than anything added to the reader. Since the user can establish his own file structure, it can be made so finding files is very easy. I have over 7000 ebooks in 50+ category folders, that and the long press Go to options, make navigating to a book easy.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote