Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #1
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Serve aiuto per la traduzione!

Attualmente sto traducendo un libro di Antonio Fogazzaro in tedesco per MobileRead. Poiché rende molti dialoghi in dialetto (piemontese o veneto), alcuni non li capisco e non ci sono dizionari che mi aiutino.
Pertanto, mi rivolgo alla comunità italiana qui presente!
Che cosa significa?
«El sarà el caldiero de le strie che fuma.»
«Al manco’ pensò la Raselli "che le strie me trovasse el me fiocheto’.»
Grazie mille per l'aiuto!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I'm sorry, I'm Tuscan so I don't know the northern dialects, when someone speaks them I don't understand a word.

However, "strie" should be the plural of "stria" which means "strega" witch, and that's the one thing I'm pretty sure about. Only in Puglia "stria" means girl but Puglia is in the southern Italy and I am sure that Fogazzaro didn't want to means girl with "stria".
I can't find "caldiero" anywhere, but if it smokes it could be "calderone" the cauldron, a word that resembles it, a large pot where the witches heat or boil something. it's a guess.
Fiocheto could be "fiocchetto" diminutive of "fiocco" that would be "bow" or maybe a "nastro" ribbon or something like that. But again it is a guess.
I waited if someone could help you a little better than me but since there is no one I do what I can.
Of course I have not read the sentences that are around those you report so I cannot know if my assumptions make sense or not.

Last edited by ps67; 10-30-2022 at 04:05 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
"caldiero" is very similar to "caldero" (Spanish), cauldron.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is it a question about the novel "Piccolo mondo moderno" by Fogazzaro, Antonio, 1842-1911?

Which is actually Italian. https://archive.org/details/piccolomondomode00fogauoft
I recommend that the PDF might be the more useful download. Mostly Archive Org ebook formats are bad automatic OCR.

Would appear to be public domain everywhere.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:26 AM   #5
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all!
Meanwhile, I found a dictionary of the venetian "language". I'll see whether it can help. Indeed, the word "stria" or "strie" causes mostly the issue. And, in fact, it is the book that Quoth mentions. I have downloaded the Italian version from an Italian site, as well as the English translation from IA. The last one doesn't help, because they left out the part in discussion.
I'll keep on poking around!
Advert
Old 10-31-2022, 05:43 AM   #6
Leonatus
Wizard

Well, I think I've got it by your support:
El sarà el caldiero de le strie che fuma.
It might be the witches' pot that smolders.
Al manco’ pensò la Raselli "che le strie me trovasse el me fiocheto’
If at least ... the witches could find me my ribbon.
Any objections to this solution? - If not, then thanks once more!
Old 10-31-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I have found "fiocheto" (fiocchetto) in a dictionary of the dialect of Verona in the web. May be not "ribbon" but "bow"? I don't know, bow is more a literally translation, but it could be ribbon if it is intended with the material used to do a bow...

Translation is a complicated matter

https://www.larenadomila.it/sito/l%C...nese.html#e_gu

Last edited by ps67; 10-31-2022 at 09:28 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I have found "fiocheto" (fiocchetto) in a dictionary of the dialect of Verona in the web. May be not "ribbon" but "bow"? I don't know, bow is more a literally translation, but it could be ribbon if it is intended with the material used to do a bow...

Translation is a complicated matter
Yes, it is! In German, I have translated fiocheto with "Schleife", that is bow in English. Thanks for the hint, though!