Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo takes forever to talk to Calibre

I have a regular Kobo reader, and I find that when I hook it up to my computer and run Calibre it takes over ten minutes to complete "Get list of books on device". I do have a lot of books on it, but it still shouldn't be taking like ten minutes.

Any tips?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
lot of books = ?

2,000; 5,000; 10,000 How many books do you have on your Kobo?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I had that happen with a particular version but once I updated the issue went away. What version of Calibre are you running?
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Running welcome wizard setting Kobo as my reader in Calibre solves this problem for me.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
whichgrep
whichgrep began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you have a lot of books and little free space, the indexing on your storage may be having trouble reading them.

Are the books saved to the Kobo or the SD card? Kobo: I'd copy them all off, factory reset, and copy them back. SD card: I'd connect the card to the computer and defrag, or copy books off, reformat, and restore.

Just a suggestion ...

Last edited by whichgrep; 05-27-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: pressed Enter before I finished typing :)
whichgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I have a regular Kobo reader, and I find that when I hook it up to my computer and run Calibre it takes over ten minutes to complete "Get list of books on device". I do have a lot of books on it, but it still shouldn't be taking like ten minutes.

Any tips?
I would recommend not using calibre to manage your books on the touch. It tends to corrupt the kobo touch on a regular basis. Instead manage your books with calibre but save them to a directory on your computer that is easy for you to get to then exit calibre once all your tweaks and such are done and your books are saved. Then connect your touch and push the books to your touch main memory or sd card. I use the sd card incase you have to do a system restore, all your books are safe on the card but in the main memory you will loose them.

just my opinion

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I hate to say I have NEVER had a corruption using Calibre and the Touch! Also I do not use an SD card....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have never had a Db corruption from using Calibre with the Touch either.

I have though had one with a "bad" book (in my case a public domain work) that created a severe double tap/screen responsiveness problem until it was removed. Once it was removed, there was a minor (but still annoying) residual problem with some books so I reset my device. I should have, btw, known that the book was going to be a problem because the file size was ridiculously large. Something was going on there.

All my sideloaded books are on the SD card.

EDIT:

People use their readers in all sorts of ways. I usually add one book at a time, as I generally buy one book at a time. When a problem exists, it is therefore pretty easy to know if it is likely to be a particular book that started it. People who load large numbers of books onto their devices simultaneously have a harder time figuring that part out.

Last edited by taming; 05-28-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote