Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #31
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Why would you want to keep it if it's an abomination? If all you're looking for is a way to use KOReader, why wouldn't you buy a Kobo? The Aura One is available with 32 GB of space now.

Shari
Form factor is also important to me, although not as important as the software, but it weighs nonetheless. I bought the first KOA mainly because of KOReader and ergonomic design both, but returned it for abysmal battery life.

Aura One lacks that asymmetric design; if I'm going to settle for lack of that factor, I'd rather just hold on to my 8" AMOLED (maximal contrast, nice and crisp white on black), rooted, with CF.lumen (for color temperature) + matte screen protector + Lux Auto Brightness for subzero brightness adjustments, and with a host of PDF readers to choose from (to crop and scroll AOT).
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
So maybe exchange this unit for a new one and block the update... hmmm... have to consider this.
The developer who discovered that the jail break does not survive an update to 5.9.2 had to do exactly that.

There are enough complaints in the main Kindle form about the screen lighting, that maybe you don't like the way the one you have now looks.
Or maybe you want one with different options.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #33
raybies
raybies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Where are we at with the jailbreak? This is my first kindle, but I must always have root.
I haven't updated, or registered the device... FW 5.9.0.5.1

Apart from installing KOReader, which offers epub, and custom screensaver what can it do jailbroken?

UPDATE: I connected the internet so I could change the Home screen to default to My Library (wtf amazon?); received a phone call > saw the kindle rebooting > updated to 5.9.2 >

Last edited by raybies; 11-06-2017 at 01:03 AM.
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #34
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The developer who discovered that the jail break does not survive an update to 5.9.2 had to do exactly that.

There are enough complaints in the main Kindle form about the screen lighting, that maybe you don't like the way the one you have now looks.
My new one is going to be here tomorrow.

I really hope the screen is as crisp as the one I am replacing!

I ma still hoping someone will figure out how to get these into flash mode - these have got to be made with that in mind, since there is almost no way to take them apart.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #35
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:

How is it going?
Any update for 5.9.0.6 (3234010012)?
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #36
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
My new one is going to be here tomorrow.

I really hope the screen is as crisp as the one I am replacing!

I ma still hoping someone will figure out how to get these into flash mode - these have got to be made with that in mind, since there is almost no way to take them apart.
My bet is on a special flash cable. But shouldn't there any reference about this in the platform documentation?
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1984 View Post
How is it going?
Any update for 5.9.0.6 (3234010012)?
Don't let it update!

Yes, that version can be jail broken.
But the "hotfix" code has to be re-written for the KOA-2

So even if you jail broke it now, you still could not update it without losing the jailbreak.

I am old and slow, but hang in there, it will not be much longer.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 AM   #38
Julian1984
Enthusiast
Julian1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Don't let it update!

Yes, that version can be jail broken.
But the "hotfix" code has to be re-written for the KOA-2

So even if you jail broke it now, you still could not update it without losing the jailbreak.

I am old and slow, but hang in there, it will not be much longer.
Nice, thanks for the info.

Don't worry. Since the file i sent you the other day, i've blocked the updates and put it in plane mode.

If need some help writing code, i can try to help.
Julian1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1984 View Post
Nice, thanks for the info.

Don't worry. Since the file i sent you the other day, i've blocked the updates and put it in plane mode.

If need some help writing code, i can try to help.
Someone is already working on the "hotfix" code.

I am working up a set of "test version" packages and special directions for people to use that want to try things out.
We will do the testing and such via PM, just so possibly broken packages don't escape into the general public.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Preview of KOA2 jail break post

Quote:
Someone is already working on the "hotfix" code.

I am working up a set of "test version" packages and special directions for people to use that want to try things out.
We will do the testing and such via PM, just so possibly broken packages don't escape into the general public.
The directions being developed are in the public eye now:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbreak

If you want to see it in formatted style, take a copy of the forum markup file:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbre...orumMarkup.txt
Click 'RAW' and then Cut&Paste into a PM text box and send the PM to yourself.

We will not be ready to start testing things until the "Jail Break Survival Code" package is fixed for the KOA2.
(Someone is working on that now.)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #41
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Is it edited main-htmlviewer.tar.gz or the old one?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepricon View Post
Is it edited main-htmlviewer.tar.gz or the old one?
Sorry, I don't see your nickname on my list of people who provided research images.

The directions are public, the files are password protected.
Currently only people who contributed research images have access to the jail break preview files.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #43
Lepricon
Nameless Being

I didn't receive my oasis yet. Hope to receive it soon. But ok, I'll wait for the end of research. Thought that if the directions are public then anyone can test the jb.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepricon View Post
I didn't receive my oasis yet. Hope to receive it soon. But ok, I'll wait for the end of research. Thought that if the directions are public then anyone can test the jb.
When you do get it, contribute a surface image of the USB storage area.
PM me for details on how to do that.

That is the only price I am asking, contribute to the effort.

Just because you do not have to spend money on it does not mean it is free.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't feel confident doing that on my own. Happy to follow a translator's instructions though.

EDIT: One other change I forgot to mention -- my Kindle shipped with Special Offers, but I had them removed.
You can install Bash on OS X.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote