Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Suggestion on choosing theme colors

Maybe this is just me but I think a change in the way one chooses colors would be simpler if M had color choices more like the way paint programs chose colors, i.e. from a grid of colors and with the ability to enter the RGB for the color of choice.

With the current method, I forget which color I thought might work when I've scrolled by so many. Don't get me wrong here. I like having many choices. It just seems laborious to scroll down through so many.

The grid solution would put it all in a concise form, all on one page. Admittedly these examples don't have color names. However they do have RGB numbers that identify the chosen color.

I've attached two examples of what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PaintShopPro7.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	110982   Click image for larger version

Name:	WordPad.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	110983  
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@slayda I think that the UI to do that would be too complex (remember you have to choose 2 colours not one). Also, many people want to know the name of the colour they picked so that they can easily reconfigure their themes if they need to reinstall.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
and we are still waiting for some colours like an old papper or something like this...thats the main reason im not using marvin so far and i never will until it has something less borring to choose for background colour...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
and we are still waiting for some colours like an old papper or something like this...thats the main reason im not using marvin so far and i never will until it has something less borring to choose for background colour...
There must be dozens of colors available for both fore/background. You can't find ONE that you like?

Really......

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 09-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Tacty - Textures are on the (really long) to do list.
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
There must be dozens of colors available for both fore/background. You can't find ONE that you like?

Really......

Art
no, i hate solid colors...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Tacty - Textures are on the (really long) to do list.
and it's probably easiest thing to do but whatever...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
no, i hate solid colors...
Ahh, I see. Your post was not clear to me. I didn't realize you wanted textured backgrounds.

It's not a deal breaker for me, really a non-issue, but many find that a necessity.

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 09-14-2013 at 04:12 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I agree with Tacty that textured backgrounds are an essential improvement. Here is the GitHub thread on textured backgrounds:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/15

However, not to use Marvin just because they aren't available at this point, is sheer madness.

The top 2 improvements I currently expect from Marvin are: syncing annotations, and textured backgrounds.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
I found out that you cannot use Themes if you don't use a custom layout?! I had a problem with formatting text in the new version of Marvin (Problem that I did not have with the old version), reverted to default publisher formatting and then could not use the Themes colors?

Finally by fiddling around I was able to correct the problem using my custom layout and thus could get the color again but that was uncalled for in my opinion. Anyway, it is still a great and probably the best reader out there!

And yes, textures, would be a great plus! Old paper for me too, please! I just love a bit of skeuomorphism! (I just wanted to use that word! Call me pedantic, I know... )
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
I found out that you cannot use Themes if you don't use a custom layout?! I had a problem with formatting text in the new version of Marvin (Problem that I did not have with the old version), reverted to default publisher formatting and then could not use the Themes colors?
Many people seem to be requesting this: a combo of "publisher's settings" with the ability to override them with one's own font/background colours, or even one's own font faces...

The question, of course, then is: are they truly publisher settings any longer at the point when you start overriding all those things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
And yes, textures, would be a great plus! Old paper for me too, please! I just love a bit of skeuomorphism!
C'est vrais! I don't get all this bashing of skeuomorphism lately. Steve Jobs would shudder. If something deserves bashing, in my opinion, it's the new iOS 7 design. Yes, many people enjoy those pastel-coloured bubbles, but I don't. I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 on any of my iDevices next week, because there seem to be no really important new features in iOS 7, and I find the published screenshots of iOS 7 (ugly app icons on the home screen, too!) sufficiently hideous to make me want to stay away from iOS 7. If I get introduced to iOS 7 by buying a new iDevice and iOS 7 wins me over that way, fine... but I won't be going there voluntarily.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
Tacty
Zealot

textured backgrounds were promised more than a year ago, or something like that...i suppose we are couple of clicks away from that, but what do i know...

@faterson

i simply cannot read ebooks on ipad with solid colors...it gives me all sort of headaches and letters are dancing on the screen...we need textures to calm them down :-)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
i simply cannot read ebooks on ipad with solid colors...it gives me all sort of headaches and letters are dancing on the screen...we need textures to calm them down :-)
Tacty, you will not find a more passionate proponent of textured backgrounds, than myself. Just ask Kris. I've been badgering him about this particular feature request, on and off, for many months now.

I understand, however, if Kris has different priorities for the moment. For example, I absolutely agree with Kris that it was more important to release Marvin for iPhone, than to add textured backgrounds to iPad first.

Even at this point, I believe that enabling the full synchronisation of annotations in Marvin is more important than textured backgrounds. Following those sync issues, though, I'd place textured/photographic backgrounds at #2 of my personal priorities list. But I'm not Marvin's developer...

Quote:
textured backgrounds were promised more than a year ago, or something like that...
Feels like eternity, doesn't it? However, Marvin did not even exist a year ago. It was born in December 2012 (or late November 2012). It's possible we started badgering Kris about textured backgrounds, in that awful mega-thread, right then in December -- I don't even remember anymore.

Quote:
i suppose we are couple of clicks away from that, but what do i know...
Well, take a look at Marvin's GitHub listing:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues

As you can see, Kris has 101+ issues/feature requests to tackle there. Our particular preference for textured backgrounds is just one of them... The more of us request this from Kris, though, the likelier it is Kris will oblige us sooner rather than later. Feel free to post your support for the textured backgrounds idea to this GitHub thread:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/15
Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
kguil
Addict

@Tacty - Marvin didn't exist a year ago Still, they're on my priority list.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Tacty - Marvin didn't exist a year ago Still, they're on my priority list.
peace of cake...just throw away all those blue, red, green and such backgrounds ( i think you'll be hard pressed to find ANYONE who is using those weird colors for reading background), put instead some textures and you re all set i'm not a developer but it looks like 1-2-3 job...

you know if something is waiting 6 months on your priority list it sounds like "don't call us we'll call you"