Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Davet
Davet began at the beginning.

Device: none
a question about a couple "less popular" ereaders

Hey again everyone. So my christmas didn't go quite as planned...but I'm still getting an ereader (yay). but I am curious as to what people think of aluteks "the book" or the pandigital ereader. Are they decent or would I just be wasting my time/money with these? thanks for your help
Davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi Davet,

as far as I know none of them is a proper e-reader. Anything decent has e-ink technologie which means it loads the text up once and won't load it up constantly like TFT or computer screens do. This is why an e-reader does not strain your eyes.

Sometimes it just pays to fork out that extra Dollar.

Regards
Poppaea
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Ask yourself.

Do you want to read, or do you want your device to be a multipurpose?

If reading is your main function, (like me!) stick with the dedicated ebook readers. Preferably in e-ink.

If you live in the US, Amazon will give you 30 days to try it , and if it doesn't meet your needs, return it paying only shipping charges.

Bet if you try it, you won't want to return it......$139 is a very reasonable price.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
Hey again everyone. So my christmas didn't go quite as planned...but I'm still getting an ereader (yay). but I am curious as to what people think of aluteks "the book" or the pandigital ereader. Are they decent or would I just be wasting my time/money with these? thanks for your help
It depends. Do you know your way around computers? If not, stick with a nook. But if you don't mind a little more hands-on and poking around to choose an ereader sync tool, then I highly recommend the Aluratek Libre Pro. I just picked one up at Staples for $99 and it compares favorably with my wife's nook.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
sedgr
sedgr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Totally anecdotal but my friend just got a Augen "The Book" for christmas and hates the thing. She intends to return the device asap. Meanwhile I got a Sony PSR-650 and adore it, couldnt be happier.
sedgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have the pandigital novel and a pocketbook 302. For reading, I much prefer the 302. It weighs about 1/2 as much as the novel and has a much longer battery life. Your preference for eink over lcd might be important too. When I read on the novel I get a little more tired at the end of the day. Some people don't experience this. But at $125 (after rebates) the novel is a good backup reader for when my wife borrows my 302 or I forgot to charge the batteries. The novel is also a decent android tablet if you root it and update the firmware.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (gifted), Ectaco Jetbook Lite
There is a big difference between backlight LCD screens like the Pandigital and reflective LCD screens like the Libre Pro. I bought the Aluratek Libre Pro for my mother and the Jetbook Lite for myself. They are both very easy to read on, IMO. I am 100 actual pages (not screen pages) into a novel on the JBL and I find it at least as easy as reading on a paper book, if not easier. These are no frills machines: no 3g, no wireless, no web browser. Easy to use with Calibre, especially the JBL. I purchased my first epub book for the JBL the other day and it was a breeze transferring it to the ereader using Adobe Digital Editions.
demingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'll add another testimonial for the Jetbook Lite and its TFT display. I got mine just before Christmas and I've already read three short novels and a few short stories on it. That amounts to several hours of reading (I'm 57 and use reading glasses even with the font size boosted up) and no eyestrain to report. I read in the same chair with the same lamp that I use for reading conventional books.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
December issue of Consumer Reports (before Nook Color, and Sony's new models) -- scores based on readability, ease of navigation, flexibility, etc.).

Amazon Kindle (3G model score 72; WiFi 68)
Nook (3G score 56, WiFi 53)
enTourage eDGe – 54
Pandigital Novel – 50
BeBook Neo – 50
Spring Design Alex – 49
Aluratek Libre eBook – 46
ViewSonic VEB620 – 44
Kobo eReader – 40
Augen The Book – 40 ‘
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote