Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #41716
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Having a light dinner.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:35 AM   #41717
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
There is still no resolution in the Family Thing. The deadline for my uncle to send in his Letter of Grievances was two weeks ago. But apparently if you don't send it you get an automatic extension of four weeks.

The point it's now being delayed for is some declarations of my uncle's lawyer. Instead of paying the lawyer directly from my grandmother's account my uncle first transferred money from my grandmother's account to his and then paid his lawyer. Or so he says. We did get a copy of the lawyer's bill, but the bill is addressed to my uncle, not to him and my grandmother like other bills we already have.

But my father gave his okay to finish up negotiations, it still feels wrong to pay my uncle a certain amount of money, but it's been dragging on for so long and my aunt is having a really hard time. So my father just wanted to get it over and done with. Our lawyer wasn't too happy about it either.

However, then we received a message from my aunt's lawyer. Who noted that the bill was addressed to only my uncle, and it doesn't specify what work was done. Since we know my uncle also uses this lawyer for his own business (which is what my uncle's lawyer is specialized in; business law) my aunt's lawyer doesn't want to accept that bill until it's specified what work was done for that money.

It's been just over a week since we last heard from our lawyer. It's vacation time and we know that always slows things down. On the one hand you want things to be resolved as quickly as possible. On the other you want to bring down the amount of money my uncle gets.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #41718
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Recovering. We had a two week bought of a very sick cat, who was a few days away from The Green Mile before she was diagnosed and properly treated. She is back to 100% now and eating like a horse. So I am finally relaxing again.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #41719
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
There is still no resolution in the Family Thing. The deadline for my uncle to send in his Letter of Grievances was two weeks ago. But apparently if you don't send it you get an automatic extension of four weeks.

The point it's now being delayed for is some declarations of my uncle's lawyer. Instead of paying the lawyer directly from my grandmother's account my uncle first transferred money from my grandmother's account to his and then paid his lawyer. Or so he says. We did get a copy of the lawyer's bill, but the bill is addressed to my uncle, not to him and my grandmother like other bills we already have.

But my father gave his okay to finish up negotiations, it still feels wrong to pay my uncle a certain amount of money, but it's been dragging on for so long and my aunt is having a really hard time. So my father just wanted to get it over and done with. Our lawyer wasn't too happy about it either.

However, then we received a message from my aunt's lawyer. Who noted that the bill was addressed to only my uncle, and it doesn't specify what work was done. Since we know my uncle also uses this lawyer for his own business (which is what my uncle's lawyer is specialized in; business law) my aunt's lawyer doesn't want to accept that bill until it's specified what work was done for that money.

It's been just over a week since we last heard from our lawyer. It's vacation time and we know that always slows things down. On the one hand you want things to be resolved as quickly as possible. On the other you want to bring down the amount of money my uncle gets.
As an attorney, I have to admit, your Uncle's attorney seems rather shady. It always annoys me to see lawyers who are gaming the system. Gives all the rest of us a bad name.

I hope you see some sort of resolution soon!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #41720
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
As an attorney, I have to admit, your Uncle's attorney seems rather shady. It always annoys me to see lawyers who are gaming the system. Gives all the rest of us a bad name.

I hope you see some sort of resolution soon!
He is shady. He isn't very good in court either. Early on, during one hearing the lawyers had 5 minutes to tell their story. He had pages and pages he wanted to read. The judge cut him off after his 5 minutes were up. This was something he should have known. During the last hearing he wasn't able to tell his story properly, either. The judge had to help him out several times.

Our lawyer isn't specialized in this section of the law (my aunt's is), but she makes sure she does her research and she's good.

Which reminds me of the sign I once saw in Bayswater, London.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #41721
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

I am actually beginning to hate your uncle, and his lawyer. It's bizarre; I don't get this caught up in my own family dramas. Of course, in my family's dramas, I get to a certain point, and then turn the lawyers loose and tell them not to come back without scalps, and a certain history of that has a bit of a chilling effect on nonsensical legal posturing and behavior, esp. for those souls that might, perhaps, be trying to finagle their Trust account distributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Recovering. We had a two week bought of a very sick cat, who was a few days away from The Green Mile before she was diagnosed and properly treated. She is back to 100% now and eating like a horse. So I am finally relaxing again.
Yeah!!!! I'm so glad for you and the Puddy. The only thing worse than sick animals is sick babies, for pretty much the same reasons--defenseless, reliant, can't talk English (or whatever).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 AM   #41722
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I am actually beginning to hate your uncle, and his lawyer. It's bizarre; I don't get this caught up in my own family dramas. Of course, in my family's dramas, I get to a certain point, and then turn the lawyers loose and tell them not to come back without scalps, and a certain history of that has a bit of a chilling effect on nonsensical legal posturing and behavior, esp. for those souls that might, perhaps, be trying to finagle their Trust account distributions.
Hitch
Everyone's we told about it (not many people) are invested in it. We have a regular customer who owns a painting company that's specialized in big, complicated projects and old buildings. He's also in real estate; buying buildings, renovating them and either renting them out or sell them. He regularly comes by not to buy something but to just get an update. He knows his stuff and has given us advice during the whole thing. He can't believe it's taking so long and my uncle just keeps going and got permission of the judge overseeing his being conservator to do so.

The biggest problem is that it's a unique case and judges are not fond of setting a precedent with their ruling. Which is why it has been dragging on for so long. It looks like now we have a judge who is less afraid, or at least more willing to get it over with without (too much) delay.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #41723
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday my aunt's lawyer (who is specialized in this type of law) made a concept of an agreement between my uncle and my father and aunt. We agreed with it, had a couple of things that needed to be changed because they were either wrong or needed to be more specific. When that's changed the agreement will go to the solicitor dealing with my grandmother's inheritance to see if he has anything to add or change. When he signs off on it it will go to my uncle's lawyer. He probably wants some things changed, my aunt's lawyer put in that my uncle can't, in future, make any claims on my father or aunt and that my father and aunt can't claim back the money my uncle used from my grandmother's account for his own purposes.

Meanwhile my uncle's lawyer also had emailed that he wanted an agreement signed by this Friday (he emailed this on Wednesday), because the court gave him until the 7th to get an agreement. Either that or we have to agree to an extension. Last week our lawyer had already checked with court what my uncle's deadline was and according the the court it's the 21st, not the 7th. Our lawyers had already agreed on an extension (since it's vacation time and a lot of people, including our lawyers, go on vacation), but now they will first kick up a bit of a fuss with my uncle's lawyer first, as pay back for his lying.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #41724
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Pottering about and starting to get ready to go to bed. I had planned to do some watercolouring today, since it was cooler today. But I got engrossed in my book, 'Salem"s Lot. Tomorrow is going to be another hot day, but maybe I will give watercolouring a try.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #41725
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Did a spot of pro bono work this morning for a legal aid client. Baking cookies now
Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #41726
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I'm back from my first holiday in 20 years! The New Forest in Hampshire, is a beautiful part of the world,which my late wife and I visited many times. A few things have changed, not always for the better (Costa or Starbucks on almost every corner? I think not!) Scorching hot weather for the duration,aside from one ten minute pitter patter of rain around midnight one night.Next day, no trace of it, ground baked well hard! Thanks for the good wishes earlier, which I was unable to reply to, as the forest is virtually an Internet free zone.Which was actually a nice change. Still got a 4g phone signal everywhere though!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #41727
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm very tired, and it isn't even 9.30pm. Today's hot temperature hit me hard. Which is strange since over the past two weeks it has been hotter and sweatier. I think it's because the temperatures will drop to normal level from Wednesday and they are predicted to stay there for at least the next two weeks. But first I'll have to survive tomorrow's 35C daytime temperature and over 20C nighttime temperature.

I'm going to bed early today, at least upstairs it's slightly cooler than downstairs.

I didn't watercolor, I was just too lethargic. I did finish another book, so at least this weather is good for me reading challenge.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #41728
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Pottering about and starting to get ready to go to bed. I had planned to do some watercolouring today, since it was cooler today. But I got engrossed in my book, 'Salem"s Lot. Tomorrow is going to be another hot day, but maybe I will give watercolouring a try.
LOL, Salem's Lot. The only book I ever read that actually left me scared at night, like a kid. I was serving in Germany, at the time, in Ludwigsburg, before I ended up in Berlin, and anyway, I read it. At night, I had to leave the lights on, because my landlady (I was living on the economy) had this damned tree, in the backyard, that constantly tapped/scraped against the window, right? I'd wake up terrified, with the book causing vampire dreams, and that tree would tap-tap/scrape/scrape me into woken terror. Gosh, that was a looooooong time ago. (early 70's!).

I remember it so clearly because typically, movies don't scare me, books don't...but that one, helped along by my lovely landlady's tree, definitely spooked me. :-)

Hitch
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #41729
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
LOL, Salem's Lot. The only book I ever read that actually left me scared at night, like a kid. I was serving in Germany, at the time, in Ludwigsburg, before I ended up in Berlin, and anyway, I read it. At night, I had to leave the lights on, because my landlady (I was living on the economy) had this damned tree, in the backyard, that constantly tapped/scraped against the window, right? I'd wake up terrified, with the book causing vampire dreams, and that tree would tap-tap/scrape/scrape me into woken terror. Gosh, that was a looooooong time ago. (early 70's!).

I remember it so clearly because typically, movies don't scare me, books don't...but that one, helped along by my lovely landlady's tree, definitely spooked me. :-)

Hitch
I don't scare easily, either. I found it creepy, but not scary. The only book that scared me was Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, the scene with Theo and Eleanor in bed when something tries (and succeeds?) to enter the room. Stephen King quotes this book at the start of 'Salem's Lot. So it looks like I'll have to reread it soon.

There are very few films that scare me. Except Asian horror films. I think because of the language barrier, but also their settings seems more realistic than those of American and British films. The Blair Witch Project also scared me, at least the first time I saw it. Which was due to the abrupt ending; you're full of adrenaline about what you see and the possibilities what will happen next and then it ends, without a real ending and you're still all amped up.

I can also remember seeing a bit of a horror film when I was 7, it was black and which and the scene I saw was set in a long hallway and there was a mirror involved. I've no idea which film it was, but that little clip I saw scared me terribly. But not so much that it scared my love of horror away.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #41730
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I don't scare easily, either. I found it creepy, but not scary. The only book that scared me was Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, the scene with Theo and Eleanor in bed when something tries (and succeeds?) to enter the room. Stephen King quotes this book at the start of 'Salem's Lot. So it looks like I'll have to reread it soon.
You simply need my landlady's tree! I didn't think I was spooked, y'know? And then I awoke to that scratching tree, mwahahahahaha!

Quote:
There are very few films that scare me. Except Asian horror films. I think because of the language barrier, but also their settings seems more realistic than those of American and British films. The Blair Witch Project also scared me, at least the first time I saw it. Which was due to the abrupt ending; you're full of adrenaline about what you see and the possibilities what will happen next and then it ends, without a real ending and you're still all amped up.

I can also remember seeing a bit of a horror film when I was 7, it was black and which and the scene I saw was set in a long hallway and there was a mirror involved. I've no idea which film it was, but that little clip I saw scared me terribly. But not so much that it scared my love of horror away.
I remember a woman at our stable, who said that she'd had to leave Jurassic Park, because she was terrified of the dinosaurs (during the T-Rex scene with the kids in the car). I was positively gobsmacked. I've been grossed out at movies, yes. But I've never had to leave a film due to it actually SCARING me. OTOH, Salem's Lot scared me, so who am I to laugh?

I don't think I can recall another book that did. I can definitely remember movies that did when I was a kid, though!

Hitch

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?