Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Dahaniel
Dahaniel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
central server library

Hi,

some friends and I would like to combine our calibre librarys on a server, so that everybody has access to all the ebooks.

I thought this would be possible with the calibre-server, but apparently it isn't.

So I wanted to know if there are plans to integrate something like that? The scenario would but something like:

- calibre server running on a pc connected to the internet
- people are able to connect their calibre clients to the calibre server and upload/download/edit entries (somehow equal to connecting an ebook-reader but the reader is the calibre-server)

ideally this would be password protected....

I have no idea how comlicated this would be but as I said, in general it should not be different from connecting to a device but the device is just another calibre instance on the web.
Dahaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahaniel View Post
Hi,

some friends and I would like to combine our calibre librarys on a server, so that everybody has access to all the ebooks.

I thought this would be possible with the calibre-server, but apparently it isn't.

So I wanted to know if there are plans to integrate something like that? The scenario would but something like:

- calibre server running on a pc connected to the internet
- people are able to connect their calibre clients to the calibre server and upload/download/edit entries (somehow equal to connecting an ebook-reader but the reader is the calibre-server)

ideally this would be password protected....

I have no idea how comlicated this would be but as I said, in general it should not be different from connecting to a device but the device is just another calibre instance on the web.
Not at this time.
The Content server can provide read access for all, write/update for one.

You could make a Shared folder,where the Librarian can 'find' the books to be added and do so, then moving the added source book out of the TBA folder.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Dahaniel

This sounds like a good first solution!

With the read access, do you mean the Webinterface or is there a way to connect the Calibre client to a server?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahaniel View Post
This sounds like a good first solution!

With the read access, do you mean the Webinterface or is there a way to connect the Calibre client to a server?
Web interface (started from Preferences: Sharing)
The 'Librarian' will use the normal GUI or command line.

Note: Anyone can become the Librarian (No other user on the PC ) if the PC allows VNC or Remote Desktop control.

Last edited by theducks; 09-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Dahaniel

Just saw that I can connect a directory the same way as a reader, if I would be able to connect a FTP directory I think all would be perfect, people could sync their librarys then
Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that the main Calibre program is NOT multi-user aware. If two people try and update the calibre database at the same time, they will trample on each others changes and may even corrupt the Calibre metadata database.

Work is under way to re-architect the Calibre database layer so that multiple clients can run against the same database. There is no ETA, however, for when this work will be completed. It is a non-trivial change that affects a lot of the Calibre internals.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Itimpi, I await that update with great enthusiasm.
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
Itimpi, I await that update with great enthusiasm.
Don't get too enthusiastic - it could be many months away (although I hope not).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, library, server, share