Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
angharad09
Enthusiast
angharad09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
changing cover image

For changing the cover image in an azw3 file, most of the advice I've seen online says (1) use Calibre; (2) change the image in the Edit Metadata window; then to make the image show up, either (3a) do an azw3 to azw3 conversion or (3b) use the Polish Books function.

For me, both 3a and 3b generated a file that was almost double in size.
So question 1 is, is that normal?

But if I used Save to Disk instead, it generated a normal-size file that showed the new cover and seemed to work fine.
So question 2 is, is there some reason (which I didn't see in my quick check) why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks.
angharad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best solution is to use the Editor in Calibre to edit the Kf8 eBook and replace the cover that's there with the cover you want. It's very easy to do. Also, you can then losslessly compress all the images for smaller file sizes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
angharad09
Enthusiast
angharad09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
As far as I can tell, replacing an image directly is not possible for Kindle files; the option isn't present like it is for epubs. What am I missing?
angharad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angharad09 View Post
As far as I can tell, replacing an image directly is not possible for Kindle files; the option isn't present like it is for epubs. What am I missing?
HOW are you making those MOBI files in the first place?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angharad09 View Post
For changing the cover image in an azw3 file, most of the advice I've seen online says (1) use Calibre; (2) change the image in the Edit Metadata window; then to make the image show up, either (3a) do an azw3 to azw3 conversion or (3b) use the Polish Books function.

For me, both 3a and 3b generated a file that was almost double in size.
So question 1 is, is that normal?

But if I used Save to Disk instead, it generated a normal-size file that showed the new cover and seemed to work fine.
So question 2 is, is there some reason (which I didn't see in my quick check) why this would be a bad idea?

Thanks.
I suspect you've got calibre set up to generate a combined MOBI+AZW3 when you convert to AZW3. Check the conversion preferences.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote