Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Sony software crash with copying files to reader

Anyone else having a problem with the software crashing when copying files to the reader?

I'm OK if I copy just s few at a time...

If I try to copy or import a whole folder (maybe 50 mostly RTF files) the software just exits and crashes....

Anyone?
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Yes, I have that problem too, very serious. My solution is to copy files directly to the SD card. Though this way the Reader has to format the files before they can be read, at least you can bypass the connect software hanging problem. I hope there is going to be an update on the connect software soon.
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Same here, although I haven't been "lucky" enough to have Connect crash and exit. It just hangs and hangs and .....
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
thax
thax began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770, Sony Reader (PRS-505, PRS-600), iPad 32GB
I had a thread about the CONNECT software and such, and I have problems with some RTF's.
No problems with TXT, LBR, or PDF. But sometimes an RTF is setup in such a way that importing it (all books in a collection have to be imported into CONNECT) crashes the software. If I could make collections on an SD card without CONNECT, I would skip the software completely.

I usually end up copying the content out of Word and pass it through BBEdit and save to RTF from there. They work after that *shrug.

thax
thax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yep. Mine crashes constantly. The connect software shows up at the top of my frequently used software on the Start menu only because I have to restart it so often.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Oh good... at least I'm not crazy.

Copy directly to the SD or MS? That's a good work-around

Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #7
melchioe
Addicted
melchioe began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nooks, PRS-505, Kindles, lots of old ones
reader crashing during download of books

I've experienced it crashing numerous times during initial download after purchase, and with transfer to a second (authorized) ebook after initial download - once it even required fully resetting the Reader, since it would no longer connect to the PC.

It seems to be a problem if I do ANYTHING else with the PC during transfer, like using Internet Explorer, Word, or any other program. Now I just start the transfer and leave it fully alone until the Status icon stops spinning.

-e-
melchioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
jtblohm
jtblohm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriesound View Post
Anyone else having a problem with the software crashing when copying files to the reader?

I'm OK if I copy just s few at a time...

If I try to copy or import a whole folder (maybe 50 mostly RTF files) the software just exits and crashes....

Anyone?
I just downloaded my very first book and the (*&% Sony software crashed while attempting to transfer it to the PRS-505 reader. The only solution was to copy-paste into the SD card bypassing the Sony software entirely. Of course I am running Vista which seems to be particularily misbehaved. Tried some of the other solutions proposed here and none worked. Guess we will have to wait for version 3.1.
jtblohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
justincoe
justincoe has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505 amd PRS-600
EBL3.0 crashed whenever I tried to transfer ebooks to my PRS-505 and PRS-600. What I do now is as the following:

1. To drop the books directly into the readers via window explorer (making sure to close the window explorer afterwards).

2. To open EBL 3.0, and create collections under the prospective readers (using EBL3.0, of course, after ticking open the ereader), using the + sign on the bottom left of the EBL screen.

3. To drag and drop books from the ereader library (not the EBL library) to the newly created collection folders according to your own desired cataloguing system. Please note that sometimes EBL 3.0 fails to refresh your ereader library after the step 1. You need to dismount and remount after step 1 to get the EBL 3.0 to list your newly added ebooks.

4. To dismount the ereader using the triangular symbol in the displayed left panel within EBL 3.0 window.

5. To disconnect the USB cable and allow the ereader to boot to home page.

That’s how I got my collections back. Please note that not all USB ports are created equal. My computer (Vista, 64 bit) has six USB ports, some work for PRS-505, but not for PRS-600. The ones that didn’t work for my PRS-600 had bricked the reader many times due to incomplete transfer.
justincoe is offline   Reply With Quote