Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've got me interested to know what the meaning was. In British English it either means "lazing around", or the room in your house in which you engage in such an activity (ie the living room).
Sofa. It's not exclusive to eastern Australia - some in the West use it too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Sofa. It's not exclusive to eastern Australia - some in the West use it too.
Interesting - I hadn't come across that usage. Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
You've got me interested to know what the meaning was. In British English it either means "lazing around", or the room in your house in which you engage in such an activity (ie the living room).
In eastern Australia it can refer to a piece of furniture - equivalent to sofa or couch. I can even direct you to Australian furniture stores that sell lounges. Curiously, meeera told me that sofa is more common in the west, although she understood my usage.

BTW: It was a UK friend of mine who kindly agreed to review drafts of my books that found this - along with many other issues. It pays to have good attentive friends in diverse locations :-)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
BTW: It was a UK friend of mine who kindly agreed to review drafts of my books that found this - along with many other issues. It pays to have good attentive friends in diverse locations :-)
Absolutely - an international perspective is always useful. There are many words that can either be misunderstood, or not understood at all, in other countries. I was interested to discover, for example, that the word "fortnight", which is extremely common in Britain, is not known to many Americans.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #35
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
In eastern Australia it can refer to a piece of furniture - equivalent to sofa or couch. I can even direct you to Australian furniture stores that sell lounges. Curiously, meeera told me that sofa is more common in the west, although she understood my usage.
They're both used, and I have suspicions that it might be a (soft) class marker as well. The occasional Pommy import might still say "settee". Possibly the most common word around here is "couch", though "couch" users will still talk about a "lounge suite".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
They're both used, and I have suspicions that it might be a (soft) class marker as well. The occasional Pommy import might still say "settee". Possibly the most common word around here is "couch", though "couch" users will still talk about a "lounge suite".
"Settee" and "sofa" are probably used pretty much equally in Britain. I was interested to note a couple of years ago when I was proof-reading one of the Jane Austen books I created for the MR library, that she used the word "sofa" (although spelt "sopha"); for some reason I'd (wrongly) assumed it was a modern word!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To my mind a sofa is a very soft (lots of cushioning) two-seater. A couch is a large quite hard seat (like a bench with a bit of upholstery stapled to it), while a lounge is a more luxurious version of a couch. When I grew up with had a couch and only fussy older (female) relatives had sofas ... I don't remember using "lounge" as a piece of furniture back then, not sure if that's because it wasn't in common use or if I just didn't know anyone that had one.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Absolutely - an international perspective is always useful. There are many words that can either be misunderstood, or not understood at all, in other countries. I was interested to discover, for example, that the word "fortnight", which is extremely common in Britain, is not known to many Americans.
a 'fortnight' is around 2 weeks isn't it?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Here in the U.S. sofa, couch, and davenport are all used.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #40
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Here in the U.S. sofa, couch, and davenport are all used.
It must be awkward sitting more than one person on a davenport (I always thought it was a small writing-desk - though I see the OED gives me the American definition too).
Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
To my mind a sofa is a very soft (lots of cushioning) two-seater. A couch is a large quite hard seat (like a bench with a bit of upholstery stapled to it), while a lounge is a more luxurious version of a couch. When I grew up with had a couch and only fussy older (female) relatives had sofas ... I don't remember using "lounge" as a piece of furniture back then, not sure if that's because it wasn't in common use or if I just didn't know anyone that had one.
I always think of a two-seater as a 'love couch' or 'love seat'.

The image below is not my love couch, but I invite anyone to come and visit me and plop your tail end right down next to mine!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	156686  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #42
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I grew up calling the full-sized three-seater, fully padded, a couch. I later heard people call it a sofa. The two-seater we called a loveseat, but isn't that one of those things that keeps two people separated? Lounge meant a verb, a room and a piece of furniture, and I suspect it's responsible for the common misspelling of chaise longue.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #43
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
Quick guide to get trolls:
1. Get a Twitter account.
2. Tweet a link to your book.
3. Pin Tweet to the top of your profile.
4. Show support for whatever political party you're with. That's a sure-fire technique. Or just express an intelligent opinion in general. No, screw that, just say anything you think is fact and can't be argued. Seriously. "The world is round," will suffice.
5. Sit back and wait. It won't take long, I can assure you. Political-party opinions guarantee results anywhere from seconds to about ten minutes.
I'm afraid step one eliminates me from this gay pastime. Although I am intrigued by the prospect of using my tweets to twit twerps, I've never actually taking the step of joining the Twitter club. Am I to be forever left behind?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
a 'fortnight' is around 2 weeks isn't it?
Exactly two weeks.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Exactly two weeks.
Yes. The word originates from an Old English phrase meaning "fourteen nights".