Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When I say absolute layout I dont mean position:absolute, I mean a layout that tries to position elements on the page manually with fixed sizes/positions or moving elements relative to where the layout algorithm would normally place them .
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Kovid, the relative div is not moved at all, it has only position: relative. There's no top, left, right, bottom, float and/or absolute/fixed childs, as you can see in the code I've posted.

I mean, my Kobo Touch and non-touch Kindle have no problems to render the original document nor the testcase.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-24-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh, do I have to spell everything out in baby language?

You have #container set to a width of 500px and have its overflow set to hidden.

In paged mode, the content is laid out horizontally instead of vertically (using the CSS3 columns module). That makes it wider than 500px, therefore it gets hidden.

Change that overflow to visible and it will work, regardless of position:relative.

Setting a container to a fixed width with overflow hidden is an example of a non-reflowable layout -- since it prevents the content of the container from being reflowed horizontally.

I assume the Kindle and Nook viewers use a different strategy to break up an html document into pages, therefore they dont show this problem. They will however, show other problems, for other classes of non-reflowable markup.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #19
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I do not really know what sort of babies you're used to talk with, but I prefer it to monosyllabic language.
Talking about (probably?) serious things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In paged mode, the content is laid out horizontally instead of vertically (using the CSS3 columns module). That makes it wider than 500px, therefore it gets hidden.
I do not really understand why you're using the CSS multi-column layout. It's used to divide horizontally the content of an element in more than one column, not to divide it vertically in more than one page. Can you explain me this?

Anyway, I added

PHP Code:
-moz-column-count4
-
webkit-column-count4
to the #content element of the previous testcase and I do not see any problem in Firefox or Chromium. I can rise this value to 11 without problems. I think i's enough since your ebook reader divide it to only 3 pages.

Quote:
Setting a container to a fixed width with overflow hidden is an example of a non-reflowable layout -- since it prevents the content of the container from being reflowed horizontally.
Again, I do not understand why you're talking about horizontal reflowing. Furthermore what you said is not entirely true: you can reflow the content of an element without problems as far as the new width of the reflowed contents does not exceed the width of the element, as I demonstrated above.

Ideally you do not want to use fixed layouts, especially for ebooks, but this is not a perfect world. On the contrary we'll simply have all documents in one rigorous format and we'll not need Calibre.

What kind of rendering engine do you use for Calibre?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-25-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is open source, go read the source, I'm done spelling out the obvious to you.
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Ideally you do not want to use fixed layouts, especially for ebooks, but this is not a perfect world. On the contrary we'll simply have all documents in one rigorous format and we'll not need Calibre.
You verified that the calibre viewer (in reflow mode) worked with your document in post 8, why are you belaboring the point that it doesn't work in paged mode?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Because I'm reporting a bug? The fact that the viewer works in flow mode is not pertinent, I'm reporting a bug that affects paged mode. Yes, mr. Goyal, this is a bug even if you don't want to admit it, and I do not intend to fix it without the help of someone that knows the source code.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because I'm reporting a bug?
You're not reporting a bug you are whining on a public board that calibre's viewer works for your book in flow mode, but not in paged mode. If you were reporting a bug you would be doing it here.

Quote:
The fact that the viewer works in flow mode is not pertinent,
It is pertinent, it means the book can be viewed via calibre's viewer.

Quote:
I'm reporting a bug that affects paged mode.
Great you informed the developer of the "bug", time to move on.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-28-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, Mr. Malor, it is not a bug, even if you wont admit it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #25
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You're not reporting a bug you are whining on a public board that calibre's viewer works for your book in flow mode, but not in paged mode. [...] it means the book can be viewed via calibre's viewer.
"Whining"? I'm very happy to see how people are handled here... I'm not "whining", frankly I can live without paged mode or Calibre, but a bug is a bug. What if your car slips on wet but not on grass, and all the other cars doesn't? Don't you think your car has a bug?

Quote:
If you were reporting a bug you would be doing it here.
I've reported it here because I was not sure this was a bug or a problem of the document.

Quote:
No, Mr. Malor, it is not a bug, even if you wont admit it.
Demonstrate it. Or is it too much obvious?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-29-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Demonstrate it. Or is it too much obvious?
I have, the fact that you refuse to see it, is not my problem, it's yours.

And I am done talking to you, I have better things to do with my time.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #27
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
"Whining"? I'm very happy to see how people are handled here... I'm not "whining", frankly I can live without paged mode or Calibre, but a bug is a bug.
In post 8 you stated that the solution presented by calibre's developer worked and your book was readable. But, if I'm being very generous, maybe you can claim that you were reporting the bug up until post 13. After post 13 you were simply whining...

Quote:
What if your car slips on wet but not on grass, and all the other cars doesn't? Don't you think your car has a bug?
What does a car have to do with calibre? If you purposefully ignore the traction control button then your car might slip. Push it and your car won't slip on wet or grass.

Quote:
I can confirm the book is displayed well using flow mode.
In post 8 you said that if you push a button in calibre's viewer that your document is viewable, so push the button.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-29-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If this was a poll question, I would mark Whining.

Dr Ohh has great answers

If I bought a car without traction control, Would I call it a Bug if I chose to drive it in places where traction control was required?

If I did buy a car with Manual 4WD (I had one of those), and failed to engage the gearing on low traction surfaces, would that be the fault of Subaru?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
If you purposefully ignore the traction control button then your car might slip. Push it and your car won't slip on wet or grass.
So you're saying the flow mode is the correct way to see a document like my testcase? Interesting... so can you explain me why Kobo and Kindle and KOReader and CoolReader can show the document as expected? Since, as far as I know, Kobo and Kindle viewers works in paged mode only, and I used page mode for KOReader and CoolReader.

As I said to Goyal, demonstrate me this is NOT a bug, using HTML, CSS, epub specs, in one word facts. Everything else is chatters and provocations.

@theducks: please read post #13 before.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 10-29-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Koreader and Coolreader added
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A BUG is the code NOT working as designed.

Kovid DESIGNED the code; it is working AS HE INTENDED.

Get off your high-horse in calling it a BUG. Maybe open a enhancement reqiest.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote