Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Matthew McConaughey as "The Lincoln Lawyer?" All Wrong!

Who would you cast in the role of Mickey Haller, who practices law out of his car in "The Lincoln Lawyer," Michael Connelly's legal thriller?

I'd go with Paul Giamatti or Chris Cooper or John C. Reilly, character actors with lived-in faces. But Hollywood needs star power to open a picture -- they think -- and I'm watching a preview with Matthew McConaughey. Wrong. All wrong.

What do you think of the casting?

What are your favorite and least favorite casting choices?

BTW, when they make a movie from Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken," I'd like to see James Franco as Louie Zamperini.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i think that mark ruffalo might be a better fit
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I thought the same thing about McC when I saw the trailer. Who's a younger version of Harvey Keitel or Gene Hackman these days?

I didn't like Clint Eastood in Blood Work either.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
i think that mark ruffalo might be a better fit
or Janeane Garofalo, , btw I really enjoy her sardonic humor and actually how it translates into her acting. So my comment is only half in jest.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have to admit that I think McConaughey in the lead role is an excellent reason to bypass any movie. I find him smarmy. The only movie he has been in that I remotely enjoyed was Sahara, and that was because of the supporting cast. I really hated when he lead the scene.

I haven't read The Lincoln Lawyer so I'm not familiar with the character, but regardless I would prefer the suggested alternatives (except Mark Ruffalo) to McConaughey.

Surprisingly, one of the best-played lawyers in movies was Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men. Gene Hackman is great in most roles but I'm not sure how well he'd play as a lawyer today.

As I said, I haven't read The Lincoln Lawyer, but if I had to pick out of the air a great character actor, I could easily go for Phillip Seymour Hoffman or Robbie Cole. If I were casting 12 Angry Men today, I could easily put Hoffman in Henry Fonda's role and surround him with Gene Hackman, Denzel Washington, and Jack Nicholson.

BTW, one of the best roles Paul Giamatti has played, IMHO, was the ploice officer in The Illusionist. I consider that movie to be one of the best movies of the past 20 years.

Last edited by rhadin; 02-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
I'd go with Paul Giamatti or Chris Cooper or John C. Reilly, character actors with lived-in faces. But Hollywood needs star power to open a picture -- they think -- and I'm watching a preview with Matthew McConaughey. Wrong. All wrong.
Have you seen McConaughey's face lately? It's looking very "lived in"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I haven't read The Lincoln Lawyer so I'm not familiar with the character, but regardless I would prefer the suggested alternatives (except Mark Ruffalo) to McConaughey.
Have you see Kids Are All Right? I rather liked Ruffalo in that, but I haven't seen him in much of anything else. He had a minor bit in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind that was also good.

Last edited by queentess; 02-14-2011 at 04:26 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
when i read the book i imagined haller to be youngish, quick witted, but kind of non-macho. i think ruffalo could pull that off. edward norton also comes to mind.

i'd much prefer looking at ms garafalo.

for a big dose of ruffalo see "the kids are all right."
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Did I speak too soon? Is McConaughey just fine?

Perhaps I spoke too soon. The movie opened today, and...

The New York Times review treats both the movie and Matthew McConaughey rather gently.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Can't remember the title immediately , but Paul Newman, in his first unashamedly "old" role, as a drunk lawyer, was just eye-wateringly believable.

[It's on the tip of me tongue, but I'll never get it now....]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Can't remember the title immediately , but Paul Newman, in his first unashamedly "old" role, as a drunk lawyer, was just eye-wateringly believable.

[It's on the tip of me tongue, but I'll never get it now....]
The Verdict
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Years ago McC played a lawyer. In Amistad. He did a great job in that. Nothing smarmy at all.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I vote for Paul Giamatti
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
MightyMoe
MightyMoe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Having only just seen the film a couple of hours ago, i actually thought it was a good performance

Last edited by MightyMoe; 07-26-2011 at 06:22 AM.
MightyMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMoe View Post
Having only just seen the film a couple of hours ago, i actually thought it was a good performance
And it's an excellent series of books. I just finished The Fifth Witness and really liked it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Fuchsia
Fuchsia began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possibly someone knows what is the model of mobile phone that Mickey is using?
Fuchsia is offline   Reply With Quote