Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Look for a book called "The Rabbit Factory". It has been green-lit to be made into a movie. One of those books you regret when it ends because it has interesting characters and good drama.

Look for the Agent Pendergast by Doug Preston and Lincoln Child. About a dozen books in the series about an un-usual FBI agent who takes on the unusual cases.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with Moon+ Reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
Also by Martin Cruz Smith is one titled December 6. It's similar to Casablanca but set in Japan right before Pearl Harbor with an American nightclub owner caught between two worlds. I thought it was great. Also, I have to mention Alan Furst's books for more literary, espionage-flavored mysteries. His plots aren't always cooking on high but he makes up for it (for me) with the characters and period detail.
Good take there by Steve Anderson. How could I have missed Alan Furst when making a recommendation for Espionage? His atmosphere is par excellence.

December 6 (aka Tokyo Station) by Martin Cruz Smith is a good novel as well, and I did enjoy it a great deal, but I hesitated to mention it because the ending may be difficult for some to accept. Smith is known for his anti-climatic endings, and this one is the mother of them all. For people already familiar with Japan, it makes sense. For those who are not familiar with Japan, especially the Samurai, it may be off-putting. I suggest reading up on the Samurai code of honor first.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
This last week I read a collection of three short stories/mysteries by Mary Anna Evans called Offerings. Very well written. It made me want to try out one of her novels - although I have a bit of a TBR list before I can get to it! Anyway, I recommend this collection.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can name three really good crime writers,

Karen Rose
Lee Weeks
and um... Me! ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/2c9ve9w Amazon. USA
http://tinyurl.com/332dv5k Amazon. UK
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28137

Mel
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The Chamber or The firm both by John Grisham
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
allanguthrie
Enthusiast
allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allanguthrie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle and Sony PRS-600
The 'new Ian Rankin' is fellow Scot, Stuart MacBride, who sets his police procedurals north of Edinburgh in Aberdeen. Great storyteller, very knowledgeable about police work. The books are dark, very funny and highly recommended.
allanguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
mandahill
Either reading or writing
mandahill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
I don't suppose you need any more suggestions, but I'd recommend Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books - Case Histories, One Good Turn and When Will There Be Good News?. Ooh, just seen there's a new one out, too - Started Early, Took My Dog. They're detective stories with a sharp, blackish sense of humour. Similar to Ian Rankin, in a number of ways.

Amanda
mandahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #23
DebbiM
Enthusiast
DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!DebbiM is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I highly recommend Reed Farrell Coleman, Walter Mosley and Mercedes Lambert (who also wrote as Douglas Ann Munson).

Two other classic mystery/suspense authors: Ross MacDonald and Margaret Millar.

Best,
Debbi
[In-text promotional links deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.
DebbiM is offline   Reply With Quote