Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Crazy. This guy in a sister-thread says they're deleted.
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
wide-bob
wide-bob began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Crazy. This guy in a sister-thread says they're deleted.
I was convinced that my BBC News from the 29th September had been automatically deleted leaving 7 versions in my Periodicals: Back Issues but having now read this thread I'm wondering if I'm mistaken. I'm now generating a fresh BBC News to see what happens.
wide-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
wide-bob
wide-bob began at the beginning.

Ok - looks like I was wrong - I've now got eight BBC News entries in my back issues and the oldest two have an exclamation mark next to them but the oldest hasn't been deleted.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up...
wide-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
kidblue
Connoisseur

Bummer.

Is there a way to batch-delete or delete via Calibre when plugged in?

Last edited by kidblue; 10-07-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Ok, when I woke up my Kindle this morning and then turned wireless on, it started downloading my overnight news feeds.

As it downloaded, I had the Periodicals collection open. As each issue got downloaded, yesterday's issue showed up in the Periodicals collection marked as "new". When it downloaded today's issue of Washington Post Cartoons it moved yesterday's issue into the Periodicals collection and flagged the Wednesday of last week issue (9/29/2010) with an exclamation mark. The Tuesday, 9/28/10 issue did not get removed but is still sitting there flagged with an exclamation mark.

I now have eight issues of Washington Post Cartoons in the Periodicals collection, the oldest two of which are flagged with an exclamation mark.
Results from this morning: The Tuesday, 9/28 issue was automatically deleted! Now the two issues flagged with an exclamation point are Wednesday, 9/29 and Thursday, 9/30. There are still eight total issues, just like yesterday. (The Friday, 10/1 issue was accidentally manually deleted before I started this little test, as stated in post #11 above.)
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
kidblue
Connoisseur

Wow. That's great news for those of us with Kindle 3's and non-expandable space. You didn't do anything, correct? This was entirely functioning as a normal time-based deletion of an issue?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

That's correct. Yesterday the oldest issue was from Tuesday, 9/28 and this morning it was gone. Unfortunately, I left wireless on last night so everything was already downloaded when I turned it on this morning and I didn't get to watch the progress. I'll make sure it's off tonight.

Interesting, I just checked again and now the Wednesday, 9/29 issue is gone, leaving only seven issues in Periodicals. The oldest issue is now the Thursday, 9/30 issue and is flagged with an exclamation point. So maybe the retention period cycle is one on the Home page and seven in Periodicals.

I stopped deleting the issues of other periodicals on Monday and that's the oldest issue of everything else, so this coming Monday or Tuesday should definitively determine the retention cycle when things are left completely alone without accidentally deleting one.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Latest results

This morning I woke up my Kindle and went to the Periodicals collection. I left wireless off overnight. The first thing that I noticed is that the Thursday, 9/30 issue of Washington Post Cartoons was already gone. Since I had accidentally deleted the Fri, 10/1 issue sometime last weekend before starting this test, this left the Sat, 10/2 issue as the oldest issue. It was not flagged with an exclamation point.

After turning wireless on, yesterday's issues were pushed into Periodicals. When yesterday's issue of WPC was pushed into Periodicals, the Sat, 10/2 issue was flagged with an exclamation point.

I now have seven straight issues of WPC in Periodicals (Sat, 10/2 through Fri, 10/8) and today's issue on the home page. For the rest of my periodicals I have five straight issues, Mon, 10/4 through Fri, 10/8 in Periodicals and today's issue on the home page.

It now looks like automatic housekeeping in Periodicals might also occur independently of when new issues are being downloaded.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
kidblue
Connoisseur

Interesting. I guess especially since these are side-loaded, the Kindle isn't going to "ping" Amazon regarding any kind of subscription. So it probably just has an independent piece of code that checks at a predetermined time, which accounts for that small bit of time you had eight issues. Don't you think?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Yes, it appears that some piece of code in the OS checks the Periodicals collection periodically (no pun intended) and first flags issues that are 7-8 days old and then later deletes them if they're not saved.

Since my last post I did a one-time download of a publication. Based on my experience so far this should show up in Periodicals tomorrow and then get deleted sometime next weekend.

It will be nice not to have to do manual housekeeping of the Periodicals collection.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #26
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Sunday's results

This morning I checked the Periodicals collection and the Sat, 10/2 issue was still there and flagged. After turning wireless on, yesterday's issue was pushed into Periodicals and the Sun, 10/3 issue got flagged. The Sat, 10/2 issue is still there.

The behavior seems inconsistent. Sometimes there are eight past issues with two flagged, sometimes seven with one flagged, and sometimes just six with none flagged.

The one-time download I made yesterday of another publication did not show up in Periodicals today as I expected, but maybe there needs to be subsequent issues before previous issues get pushed into Periodicals.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #27
kidblue
Connoisseur

But has it ever gotten past eight issues? In other words, is there a "safe" maximum?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #28
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

It's only been a couple of days that I've accumulated eight past issues in Periodicals but I haven't yet seen more than that. The next few days will be telling as all the rest of my publications now have six issues in Periodicals.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Monday's result

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The behavior seems inconsistent. Sometimes there are eight past issues with two flagged, sometimes seven with one flagged, and sometimes just six with none flagged.
The results today are similar to Friday's, with the oldest of two flagged issues already deleted before turning wireless on. The Sat, 10/9 issue was already gone and Sun, 10/10 was still there and flagged. After turning wireless on the end result for WPC is eight issues in Periodicals, with the oldest two, Sun, 10/3 and Mon 10/4 flagged. The rest of my publications have now come into play and the Mon, 10/4 issue of every other periodical is now flagged.

It's nice not to have to do manual housekeeping!

The "inconsistent" behavior that I stated yesterday and quoted above is apparently just the way it works. I can state definitively that Calibre-generated newsfeeds are treated as periodicals by the Kindle and that as subsequent issues are downloaded, the previous issues get pushed into Periodicals. There can be from six to eight past issues in Periodicals with none to two flagged. At some point the flagged issues will be deleted.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
kidblue
Connoisseur

But it never gets past eight issues, right? Seems to me that maybe without the Amazon Subscription Service "informing" the device, it often just allows an extra issue if that issue is delivered before the housekeeping. As long as it eventually deletes the eighth issue and doesn't go further, that's pretty darn good, I think.