Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
judyni
Enthusiast
judyni began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, tablets
"Calibre Companion" for Windows 10

I just installed Calibre Companion on my Android phone and I am so happy! I want something "like" that for my Windows 10 tablet. Yes, I know Calibre can run on it but here's my problem...

I have a COPY of my library on MS OneDrive. It is large, even though I don't include the largest of my files in my "sync" to OneDrive. I want to be able to connect to OneDrive on my Windows tablet like Calibre Companion does. The points being:

1) I'm not always at my home where my Calibre library exists so I can't always connect to the computer directly,
2) I only want SOME of the books on the Windows 10 tablet.
3) I want to see the whole catalog from anywhere with internet access and I want to be able to download what I want when I want to, preferably through the program itself.

Yes, I know OneDrive TECHNICALLY supports this kind of thing by itself, BUT it has bitten me more than once. I even accuse it of destroying one Windows 8 tablet. Maybe they've solved this problem, but I'm not willing to trust them. What happens is the OS for some reason decides my external media (card or USB nubbin) is not available and proceeds to copy the entire library to the boot drive, which can't hold it all. Then I think what happened is the OS decided to upgrade itself, failed, probably because there was no space, and trashed the OS. I gave up and bought a new tablet and do not want that to happen to it.

I have kept OneDrive out of the loop by manually updating a USB nubbin, but I really would like something like Calibre Companion... It does everything I want -- shows whole catalog, updates itself automatically, and allows me to download ebooks (and delete them). AND stores them where I want them stored!

Oh, and my home internet is pretty slow, so although see I could set up calibre at home to serve over the internet and connect to it directly, I would prefer not to do that. I have the OneDrive copy for that purpose.

Am I missing something obvious?

Judy
judyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The content server is not a bandwidth hog. It only sends a page at a time.

How slow is your UPLOAD (down is the faster one)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
judyni
Enthusiast

speedtest.net, right now upload is .62Mbps. It's a pretty good day for us, with a download of 2.5Mbps. About as good as it gets with Verizon DSL in the boonies...
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyni View Post
speedtest.net, right now upload is .62Mbps. It's a pretty good day for us, with a download of 2.5Mbps. About as good as it gets with Verizon DSL in the boonies...
I think you will be satisfied using the content server. Not blazing fast... but that beats Dialup

another speed test (USA) speedof.me (just that, no WWW )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
judyni
Enthusiast

I don't have a fixed public IP address. I think for now I will continue updating the Windows 10 tablet's SD card and running calibre using that. Or maybe trying to get OneDrive to work again. I've not used it seriously since they changed the way it works when Windows 10 came out. Now I understand that if you don't sync an entire directory you will see only the files that are local. Makes it virtually worthless, seems to me, unless of course you do want to sync an entire folder. Which is what I do now where I do use OneDrive. Which is about half the value it had initially. That's one reason why Calibre Connection is so valuable on Android. And there are more reasons...