Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Firmware Requests

Think there should be a thread for this now (ideally sticky) as there are for earlier Kobos. Much as I like my Glo, there are definitely things which I think need addressing as of firmware version 2.1.5.

I'm sure there will be some crossover from requests already made for the Touch which will be equally applicable to the Glo, but there will also be things that only relate to the Glo.

Things at the top of my list are all related to the light.

1. Fix the bug whereby: if you turn on your Glo manually it uses the sleep settings you have set (good), but if you turn it on using a sleepcover it turns off after about one minute (not good).

2. Fix the settings so that Light and Sleep timeouts are properly independent of one another - at the moment, it is impossible to set a Light timeout longer than the sleep timeout (or to "Never"), which means that every time the Sleep timer puts the Glo to sleep it comes back on with the light off. There is no setting that allows you to keep the light on all the time.

3. Set a lower minimum light level (if this is possible in firmware and has not already been done) - this one doesn't bother me personally, but there are plenty of people requesting it in other threads for reading in very dark rooms.

4. A touchscreen button for turning on the light (for those with a case that doesn't allow easy access to the hardware button, and just for generally easier access) - there is already a light button that shows up on the bottom bar when the light is on, so this could be used to turn the light on and off as well as access the brightness slider. It doesn't have to disappear when the light is off, it could just go black etc. Perhaps hold to turn the light on/off, touch to go through to the slider.

Not Light-related:

5. A definite crossover from the Touch - NEVER allow books which are recently added or modified to knock the current read off the Home screen. I'm amazed this one still hasn't been addressed, as it is so obviously not desirable behaviour. Perhaps there is an argument for putting one or even several newly added books on the Home screen, but there should ALWAYS be a link to the most recent read (or even a list of most recent reads). I find this particularly annoying as it happens even when you merely alter book metadata (using something like Calibre) without adding anything to the library - so just trying to sort the library into appropriate shelves loses your current book. Not useful.

Anyone else want to chip in?

Last edited by markino; 11-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Less glitchy highlighting. It takes forever to do it accurately. Way worse than on my Kindle.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Is there a moderator / admin who could make this sticky, and possibly add the Glo prefix (which I foolishly forgot to add)?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I agree with everything in the OP and would add changing the widow/orphan behaviour to the list. I have to set both to 0 in Calibre and re-create the ePub file to avoid having 1-3 blank lines at the bottom of the page before a chapter is finished. Then the Glo would be just about perfect for me.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
markino
Connoisseur

Another thing:

The light should not switch off whenever the Glo is connected to a PC. If you have set the light to remain on while on battery, why would you want it to turn off when plugged into a power source?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
The Touch, Glo and Mini share the same FW base, the only differences being handling of the light and replacing the HW home button with a SW one. A thread specific to the Glo, or the Mini, will only add confusion if they do not limit themselves to those points of difference.

Quite frankly, until the FW for the three devices actually diverge, I'd rather rename the Touch thread to handle the Glo and Mini as well.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
markino
Connoisseur

So you're saying that the Touch and the Glo are the same... apart from the differences.

They are not the same device, and they obviously do not share identical code. In any case, whoever started the Touch thread may not want to merge - it hasn't been done so far. To put Glo requests into the Touch thread now would hijack that thread.

Also, personally, if I'm looking for something about the Glo, I don't want to wade through 73 pages of Touch requests (quite a bit of which may be out of date now) before I get to anything relevant - and I doubt anyone from Kobo would either.

You will also see that almost all of my points ARE related to the light.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Well, whether it is decided to keep these requests separate (my vote goes there) or merged into the Touch firmware requests I do have a request/ question. Does the apostrophe issue still happen for other Kobo users? Apostrophes in authors name or title causing issues in the sideloaded or calibre library issue, I mean.

If it does still exist I'd love that to see some attention. That way there would be very little adjustment to my epubs from the old nook configurations. I do still have two of those in the house. Hate to have two different epub versions for the different readers!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Big loud "me too" on number five, my biggest annoyance so far.

Current reading should be current reading, no matter what. I like that there are several choices, arranged by size, with the largest being the most recently read – that's a great way to display it. But adding or modifying books shouldn't gimp the ability to dive back into my current read.

However a separate "What's New" category, maybe as a Library option, would be a useful feature. It could even use the same most-recent-largest heirarchy and display the five newest books.

Last edited by 0x55; 11-25-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
Does the apostrophe issue still happen for other Kobo users? Apostrophes in authors name or title causing issues in the sideloaded or calibre library issue, I mean.
The Kobo Glo is my first Kobo device and I just happen to be currently reading an epub with an apostrophe in the title (The Truth-Teller's Lie). It was sideloaded from calibre. I haven't had any problems with it so far, so your post surprised me a little. I can't speak for Nook, but it's the exact same epub I have also copied to my Sony device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
However a separate "What's New" category, maybe as a Library option, would be a useful feature. It could even use the same most-recent-largest heirarchy and display the five newest books.
Doesn't the Library 'sort by Recent Reads' do this already, or have I misunderstood the problem?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
Well, whether it is decided to keep these requests separate (my vote goes there) or merged into the Touch firmware requests I do have a request/ question. Does the apostrophe issue still happen for other Kobo users? Apostrophes in authors name or title causing issues in the sideloaded or calibre library issue, I mean.

If it does still exist I'd love that to see some attention. That way there would be very little adjustment to my epubs from the old nook configurations. I do still have two of those in the house. Hate to have two different epub versions for the different readers!
What apostrophe issue? As with jackie_w, I have a few books on my Touch with apostrophes in the title. I have synced them from calibre and read them without any problems. And I don't remember seeing a problem with any version of the firmware or calibre driver. What problems are you seeing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Doesn't the Library 'sort by Recent Reads' do this already, or have I misunderstood the problem?
It does, but it includes new and/or changed items along with the recently read items. I'd like a distinction between what I'm currently reading and what I just added.

As an example, the book I'm reading at the moment was just bumped off the home screen, as well as onto the second page of Library > Recent Reads, because I added two new books and modified the metadata on several others.

It should be possible to quickly get to the last-read spot in my current book easily, without lots of menus and scrolling, no matter what other peripheral tasks I've done in the meantime.

In other words, I'd like the home screen to stop treating "new reading" as if it was "now reading."
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
As an example, the book I'm reading at the moment was just bumped off the home screen, as well as onto the second page of Library > Recent Reads, because I added two new books and modified the metadata on several others.
How did you modify the metadata in books that pushed them back onto the home screen? Was this actually a delete followed by a putting the updated book onto the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What apostrophe issue? As with jackie_w, I have a few books on my Touch with apostrophes in the title. I have synced them from calibre and read them without any problems. And I don't remember seeing a problem with any version of the firmware or calibre driver. What problems are you seeing?
I had just added Ender's Game to mine for my eldest son to read, side loaded onto a sd card. Once I plugged it back in I lost the other four books I had just added. After editing the titles manually I reinserted the card and all five books showed up.

Now, seeing that others are not having issues with apostrophes maybe I was just lucky enough to have an issue with it reading the card instead! I'll continue paying with it and see. Thanks for the quick responds though!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature, firmware, glo, request