Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
UniquelyMoi
UniquelyMoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR 600
Saving Mobi on PC

I bought a Kindle and I share it with my teenage daughter. I have books on there that I'd rather she not read, but when I did a search to see if I could delete them from the archives on my Kindle, it said that I had to delete them from my Amazon kindle content page and that I'd no longer be able to access them for download from the Kindle store.

So, my question is this - since the books are saved on my computer's hard drive, can't I access them from there when I want to read a specific book, even if I've deleted them from my amazon kindle content? Or do I really have to give up the ability to put it back on my Kindle? Surely this can't be right?

If a book is downloaded via Whisperlink, is a hard copy also saved on the computer?

Thanks!
UniquelyMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
When you delete your books via the Manage Your Kindle page, you delete them permanently. They're gone forever from your account and if you ever want to get them back, you'll have to buy them a second time. Each and every one.

Whether or not you can continue to use your previously downloaded books after deletion depends on which device they were encoded for. If you have a copy of a book that you got via Transfer via Computer for your Kindle, you will only ever be able to open it upon that Kindle again, and you will not be able to read it upon any future Kindle you buy, or Kindle for PC/Mac/iPhone/Android, unless you strip the DRM.

Same thing works in reverse in that books downloaded via Kindle for PC/Mac/etc. cannot be transferred to any other Kindle device, unless the book happens to be one of the relatively rare DRM-free offerings on Amazon's site (or you strip it).

Whispernet downloaded books do not have an automatic tandem computer download. You can back them up by copying them from the "documents" folder on your Kindle, but again, they're coded to work only on that Kindle.

What I suggest if you don't want your daughter to see your books and aren't prepared to trash however many purchases you may have made, is to create a second, separate Amazon account and register your Kindle to that. That way, she won't ever see your regular archives.

If you download the Kindle for PC/Mac app and install it, you can still do your shopping via your original account. To transfer your books to your Kindle for reading, just temporarily re-register it to your original account just long enough to put the books you want on there, then de-register it back to the new account which won't have anything in the Archives that you might worry about your daughter seeing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-19-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Omitted two words.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Kindle book is encrypted for a specific device, so if you save the book on your PC then you will be able to copy it back to your Kindle, yes, but what you won't be able to do is read it on any other Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
UniquelyMoi

Thank you both, ATD and Harry. I appreciate the information. I wasn't aware of the register/de-register option. I'll have to check into that!

Harry, I wasn't aware you COULD read books on more than 1 Kindle. Each Kindle would have to be registered to the same account?

I don't like the automatic Whisperlink feature. I prefer to put a book on the reader when I'm ready actually ready to read it.

Thank you again, both!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquelyMoi View Post

I don't like the automatic Whisperlink feature. I prefer to put a book on the reader when I'm ready actually ready to read it.

Thank you again, both!
You can keep Whispernet off and only turn it on when you want to download a book or keep it off and load the book via USB cable. I keep it off until I need it (it also helps to extend the battery life).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you can read your books on as many hardware Kindle and Kindle for (platform) apps as the publisher will allow (the default is 6; some allow more or fewer).

They do have to be registered to the same account for the initial download, in order to get a file that's properly encoded to work on whatever you're reading with. And I think that Kindle for PC/Mac have to stay registered to the original account, since they check online every time you open them up.

But after that, on a hardware Kindle at least, you can switch the registration to something else and still continue to read the books from the first account.

This is how multi-Kindle households with separate accounts so that partners/spouses/parents can keep their purchases separate and maybe have a special kid-friendly "family" account to boot are able to share their books between themselves.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can keep Whispernet off and only turn it on when you want to download a book or keep it off and load the book via USB cable. I keep it off until I need it (it also helps to extend the battery life).
Thank you! I'll see if I can figure out how to do this. Thank goodness for the internet!

So, will Amazon still deliver it to my Amazon for PC and it won't go to my reader until I'm ready to download it? Or if I turn off Whispernet, will Amazon not deliver any books to my computer at all?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
This is how multi-Kindle households with separate accounts so that partners/spouses/parents can keep their purchases separate and maybe have a special kid-friendly "family" account to boot are able to share their books between themselves.
That's one of the things I was wondering about. I had considered getting my kids a Kindle for Christmas, but didn't want my books showing up in their archives area.

Which is something else I'm trying to understand... why do some books show up on the "home page" and others in the "archives?" Is it because the archived books haven't been accessed?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you buy a book via the Kindle store on your computer, you will be given a choice of which Kindle or Kindle app you want the book sent to (I have 3 Kindles, an iPod Touch and multiple PCs to choose from in the attached picture). If you decide to download it to your computer, you will be asked to choose the Kindle the book will be used with and it will download to your computer but can only be used with the Kindle you have specified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	choices.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	63101  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquelyMoi View Post

Which is something else I'm trying to understand... why do some books show up on the "home page" and others in the "archives?" Is it because the archived books haven't been accessed?
Archived books are the books in your Kindle Library which have already been purchased and are available for (re)download.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
If you buy a book via the Kindle store on your computer, you will be given a choice of which Kindle or Kindle app you want the book sent to (I have 3 Kindles, an iPod Touch and multiple PCs to choose from in the attached picture). If you decide to download it to your computer, you will be asked to choose the Kindle the book will be used with and it will download to your computer but can only be used with the Kindle you have specified.
Nice!!! So I can download to my desktop, or a special folder there, then move them to my Kindle like I do if I buy books from fictionwise, etc.

Thank you, so, so much!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard

Books show up in the "Archives" area when viewing from a Kindle or Kindle app when you don't have a local copy and would have to re-download to read it on that particular device.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Archived books are the books in your Kindle Library which have already been purchased and are available for (re)download.
So it's like a link to the file, but doesn't use up memory on the reader until I click the link. Awesome!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Books show up in the "Archives" area when viewing from a Kindle or Kindle app when you don't have a local copy and would have to re-download to read it on that particular device.
Awesome, thank you!