Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
TerryR40
TerryR40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre updates

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. My question is pretty simple, but haven't been able to find an answer reading through the different threads, so here goes:

Sometimes, when I open Calibre, I get a popup that informs me that a new update is available. My needs are very basic and I do no editing with Calibre, so often I just blow the update off.
Time goes by, and soon there is another update, a later version available to download and install.
The question is this: Say I skipped update 2.15 and now am looking at installing 2.16. Does 2.16 incorporate the changes that were included in 2.15? Or (if I decide that I want the changes in 2.15) do I need to download 2.15 and install it separately?

Thanks for any replies to clear this up for me.
TerryR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes every update is standalone. You dont have to install previous updates. You can skip any number of updates you like and directly install one that interests you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
TerryR40

But does update 2.16, for example, incorporate the changes that were introduced by update 2.15?

So, if I skipped 2.15 and installed 2.16, would I get the fixes that were implemented by the previous version?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
TerryR40

OK, I overlooked the word "standalone". So I surmise that the answer to my question as to whether 2.16 incorporates 2.15 changes is "NO". Correct?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, standalone means that it does include the changes. You do not have to installs it along with previous updates.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
TerryR40

OK, thanks for the clarification...
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is a new version, not a patch.

Any new release is the entirety of the program in that state, it will completely reinstall calibre from scratch.

Not a patch file which you modify the current install with. (These typically get used by programs which update themselves.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just to add clarification to eschwartz

It completely replaces the PROGRAM FILES.

A true Initial (First time) install, creates the User Preferences (folder) and a Library. These are never REPLACED during a re-install (update).

This is also the reason that NEW feature Icon do not automatically appear on existing toolbars. That would mess with your desired preference settings.

In very rare cases, The DB's internal structure was upgraded
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very true. Application Data is not removed by installers. In certain cases, uninstallation removes the program's AppData. calibre's uninstaller does not remove the calibre AppData.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For Windows installs I'm pretty sure it's the calibre Welcome Wizard that creates the default settings and library, rather than the the install process itself (msiexec.exe).

That explains why an uninstall does not remove the settings, the basic premise being that the Windows uninstaller will only remove that which the Windows installer created

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes, but some programs also offer to clean up your appdate. Can't remember offhand which ones, but they were the exception.

Not builtin uninstaller functionality, this was custom stuff.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, but some programs also offer to clean up your appdate. Can't remember offhand which ones, but they were the exception.

Not builtin uninstaller functionality, this was custom stuff.
Many prêt-à-porter programs provide the Windows uninstall applet with an uninstaller.exe to do the cleanup. As well as appdata, many of them also need to do some registry cleanup, which many don't do, or only half do Ψ²

Bespoke software often has to do its own thing as the developers are bearing the burden of legacy, also the NIH syndrome is often rife in bespoke software shops - especially amongst the out-saucering [sic] and subby communities.

Calibre uses the MS install/uninstall facility at its most basic level. There's nothing with that, given calibre is multi platform and multi edition on Windows, then IMO it's a wise move.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote