Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon is sitting on a lot of inventory. Time for a fire sale.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Maybe they will give them away with Prime membership?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Maybe they will give them away with Prime membership?
I like that idea
Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #49
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like that idea
Me too. Not sure what I'd do with one though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Me too. Not sure what I'd do with one though.
It's a Fire Mini; a pocket-sized tablet. A media player to compete against the iPod touch.
Advert
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #51
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
It's a Fire Mini; a pocket-sized tablet. A media player to compete against the iPod touch.
Mmm, but I already have a 64GB iPod Touch.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I finally opened my Fire Phone. Nice build, though a bit on the thin side. It'll bulk up once I get a case for it. Still haven't decided. Leaning toward the Poetic Revolution.

* First Impressions --> the UI is a nightmare. It's worse than the tablets. The first thing I did was to replace the apps in the dock. I removed - Phone, Messaging, Email, Silk Browser and replaced them with - TuneIn Radio, Slacker, Prime Music, Pandora.

After that, I downloaded a bunch of apps and shoved 'em into folders. Then I moved the app dock to the top to eliminate the carousel. Now when I turn the phone on, it opens to app folders.

* Bluetooth --> paired nicely without a hitch to two different speakers - Amazon Echo and Photive Hydra. Really great sound from both. I was surprised at how loud the smaller Photive got.

* SIM Card --> not supplied.

* Fire OS 3.6.8 --> why hasn't Amazon upgraded the OS for the phone to OS 4.5.1 (the one used on the newer Fire tablets)? I don't like using two very different UIs when switching from the phone to the HD 6. Of the two OSs, OS 4.5 is superior to OS 3.6.

* Music --> why is there a separate app for Prime Music? Why isn't it integrated into their music app like it is on the Fire tablets? Also, why is Prime Stations missing?

* Primary Use --> I'm using this phone as a tablet - it's a pocket-sized Fire HDX.

* Value --> it's worth the $100 I paid for it. If I had to pay $200 with the current OS, it's a no go.

...more later

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #53
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1AD8OEJ10P2K4

This is the case I decided to go with!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #54
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
I finally opened my Fire Phone. Nice build, though a bit on the thin side. It'll bulk up once I get a case for it. Still haven't decided. Leaning toward the Poetic Revolution.

Now for first impressions -- the UI is a nightmare. It's worse than the tablets. The first thing I did was to replace the apps in the dock. I removed - Phone, Messaging, Email, and Silk Browser. I replaced them with - TuneIn Radio, Slacker, Prime Music, and Pandora.

After that, I downloaded a bunch of apps and shoved 'em into folders. Then I moved the app dock to the top to eliminate the carousel. Now when I turn the phone on, it opens to app folders.

...more later
Inquiring minds want to know... how?

I wouldn't mind the carousel if I could turn of the preview area below it. Preview is just a waste of screen space.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Inquiring minds want to know... how?

I wouldn't mind the carousel if I could turn of the preview area below it. Preview is just a waste of screen space.
The carousel isn't really eliminated. What I did was to eliminate it from view.

When looking at the home screen, the carousel is on the top and the app dock on the bottom. Place your finger on one of the apps in the app dock and flick it to the top. Now the app dock is on the top and your apps on the bottom. Leave it that way. Then when you turn the phone on, it always returns to that view. If you want the carousel back, pull the app dock to the bottom.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #56
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Betting you can turn those suggestions on the bottom Off... You can on the Fire Tablets ... Tho I cant remember how

Found it.... go to settings> Applications>Amazon Home Recommendations> choses show or Hide.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-02-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #57
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Betting you can turn those suggestions on the bottom Off... You can on the Fire Tablets ... Tho I cant remember how
Try this -- Settings --> Applications & Parental Controls --> Turn off product recommendations --> Recommendations --> Off
Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #58
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

They don't bother me cause I use my tablet in Landscape mode. Mostly

Thanks TM I found it just before you posted
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #59
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Monkey, does it come with a Sim card?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Monkey, does it come with a Sim card?
No; it asked me to put one in and I skipped it.