Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
kokkolos
kokkolos began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch 4g
Lightbulb Stanza instead of iBooks? WHY?

Hi!

I read your 3d,

why do you suggest Stanza instead of iBooks?

Thanks a lot.

Regards
kokkolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Pretty sure that was written before the iBooks app came out. Stanza was what I used first, and I could get ebooks on my iTouch without connecting via USB. I know there are other reasons, but since I got my Kindle, I only seem to read from my Kindle device or the Kindle app.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Stanza and calibre together give you the server function. I just like iBooks though. I have no problem updating and putting books on it by plugging it in. Gives me a chance to update apps and back up the ipad anyway.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Stanza allows for much more flexible control over layout, being able to adjust margins, having a large number of fonts and fontsizes and much greater control over colour scheme.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Stanza allows for much more flexible control over layout, being able to adjust margins, having a large number of fonts and fontsizes and much greater control over colour scheme.
You've got to be kidding?! Stanza is a PITA in regards of layout control, at least if you create eBooks.

I don't how many stunts and tweaks I had to pull to get my files on Stanza right while they were looking fine on any other device.

Hyphenation is the one asset why I would recommend Stanza.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I like Stanza best because I can access my Calibre library wirelessly. I personally don't have a problem with either Stanza or iBooks for reading, but like Stanza slightly better.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I love how stanza integrates with Calibre's content server. Only thing missing from a reader's perspective, IMO, is support for series' in Stanza.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
I was trying to figure out which reader was preferable, too. I've been using Stanza on my iPod Touch since before iBooks was an option. I now have iBooks on my iPad, but I think I still prefer Stanza because:
  • Stanza has a more customizeable display (especially for white on black reading and margin control)
  • I can access my eBook library wirelessly in Stanza
  • I can get books from multiple on-line sources into Stanza without syncing through iTunes.
  • Stanza seems to handle certain metadata fields better than iBooks (I think my Series info, for instance, transfers from Calibre to Stanza well, but does not transfer to iBooks, or at least iBooks will not use/display that info).

To me the most compelling reason to use iBooks is the page syncing across devices. At the moment I only have one device capable of running iBooks, so that's not very compelling. I also converted a book to epub that had lots of endnotes. iBooks handled the links between endnotes and the main text well, but Stanza did not. There may be a fix for that. I haven't looked into it, but so far that's the only reason I've seen to prefer iBooks. That and it's pretty, but once I'm actually reading, I prefer no distractions to pretty page animations.

Some pros of Stanza over iBooks are discussed on the last pages of the thread you pointed to and on a thread I recently started on the same issue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101852
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul
You've got to be kidding?! Stanza is a PITA in regards of layout control, at least if you create eBooks.

I don't how many stunts and tweaks I had to pull to get my files on Stanza right while they were looking fine on any other device.
Nope, what other app others the same level of customisation for the user? iBooks doesn't even offer any sort of margin control. Stanza allows control over margin size, line spacing, paragraph spacing and paragraph indent. iBooks offers 2 colour schemes, normal and sepia. Stanza offers around 140 choices of foreground and background colour independently. iBooks offers 6 choices of font, Stanza about 45.
I'm not particularly interested in how the creator of the book wanted it to be laid out, I'm interested in how I want it to be laid out. Stanza allows me to override the formatting in the file and make my own choices, as a reader that is a good thing.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'm not particularly interested in how the creator of the book wanted it to be laid out, I'm interested in how I want it to be laid out. Stanza allows me to override the formatting in the file and make my own choices, as a reader that is a good thing.
This. Screw your layout. I want my layout. My fonts, my line spacing. If I want newlines between paragraphs and indentation, Stanza lets me do it even though the author didn't want it that way. I can read with a sans serif font even though the author thought the book would be best presented in comic sans. I can strip off the 2em left and right margins that cause the book to be only three words across on an iPhone because the author thought that made sense on an iPad. I can force it into full justification even though the author thought a ragged right edge was a good idea.

Stanza has its problems. The hyphenation can be weird sometimes, and it does have occasional layout issues. However when it comes to reading books how I want to read them, nothing beats it (on iOS, anyway). That's what ebook publishers and authors just don't seem to get. I don't want to have multiple ereader applications all with different look&feel, settings, etc (iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, etc). I want a single reader that does it all, and with Stanza as the reader, Calibre as the server, Sigil for occasional book cleanup, and the various de-drm tools I get what I want. That's why I use Stanza.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For non-english speaking people like myself, having in-device dictionary lookup is a great feature of iBooks. Overall I like Stanza a lot and it will be perfect for me if they add in-device dictionary which won't need Internet connection.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
margaretanne
margaretanne began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I have just received my ipad today. I have Calibre and am wondering how to transfer books from Calibre onto the ipad? I would really appreciate some help.
margaretanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I like Stanza's integration with Calibre (and lots of online book sources). However, I just really like the iBooks reading experience best. It's a personal thing. On my iPhone, Stanza was fantastic. On the larger ipad screen, just text on a color background doesn't seem right.

iBooks "look like a book" page decorations may be trite, but somehow they make the difference for me.

Otherwise it's Stanza all the way. Unless I'm reading kindle books, then it's the kindle app.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Stanza needs an upgrade. I asked them about a couple of issues this summer (Now Reading doesn't stick, and retrieving emailed books via Book Sources screws up the title) and they said these would be addressed in the next upgrade.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Stanza needs an upgrade. I asked them about a couple of issues this summer (Now Reading doesn't stick, and retrieving emailed books via Book Sources screws up the title) and they said these would be addressed in the next upgrade.
Did they offer any indication of when that might be?
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote