Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
xyris
xyris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Accessing CC ebooks via Nextcloud possible?

Hello all,

I've been using OneDrive to host my books and used a CC cloud connection from mobile devices.

I slowly want to get rid of Dropbox/Google/Microsoft/Facebook and all such data giants, and I have replaced my cloud storage with a Nextcloud hosted on a small cloud storage provider. I'm using Windows 10.

Now how can I continue CC? Is there an EASY way of using my Nextcloud storage to access my books (ca. 30 GB) from mobile devices?

I looked around some and understand that Nextcloud isn't currently available among the CC cloud connection choices. But there surely is a way to set this up somehow? Maybe as a different connection form? Server?

Unfortunately I'm inexperienced in setting up anything more complicated than providing URL, login and password, let's say. But I'm willing to experiment if someone can point me to some precise instructions!

P.S.: I'm aware of https://dev.to/setevoy/calibre-web-h...n-android-1ho0 -- but the described solution definitely goes beyond my computer know-how.

Thanks for any help,

xyris
xyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Calibre Companion has been abandoned by the current developer. Read through the other threads on the forum...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I'm checking options myself, and definitely Calibre-Web seems the most popular option to accessing your books from the cloud when you don't want to depend on Google and the like.
I feel like you, instructions for setting it up seem too complicated, maybe the docker route will get easier in the near future, anyway, the link you have provided seems overly complicated because it wants to achieve another integration besides setting up Calibre-Web, I would check first instructions to set up Calibre-Web in Nextcloud, and once I have that running, look for a way to integrate it with my preferred reader app. Calibre-Web is quite complete to skip your dependence with CC, although it has the drawback that you'll need to have access to the Calibre-Web server when you want to use it.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've been happily using calibre-web in docker containers running on a raspberry Pi.

I have two seperate containers running cw; one for my library and one for my wife's. I have them frontended by an nginx container. For all my containers I'm using ones created by the linuxserver community; linuxserver/calibre-web and linuxserver/swag (a combination nginx / reverse-proxy / lets-encrypt client).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
xyris

Oh, great, milady133, I didn't even know about Calibre-Web before.
I found this: https://dev.to/setevoy/calibre-web-h...n-android-1ho0 and I will have a closer look, maybe it will prove a reasonable alternative, perhaps using a good ereader app and the Nextcloud connection on mobile devices ... let's explore, as best as we can.

PeterT, I don't know enough computer technology to understand how containers would work. Also you seem to use Linux, while I'm still on Windows (I have started exploring Linux, but it's hard if you're not a computer person by training).
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
xyris

Coming to think of it, can I configure Calibre directly to access my books on Nextcloud? Would that have to be configured as a server connection within Calibre?

Does anyone have any pointers, instructions, ideas? Again, sorry, I'm so inexperienced in this network tech.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyris View Post
Coming to think of it, can I configure Calibre directly to access my books on Nextcloud? Would that have to be configured as a server connection within Calibre?

Does anyone have any pointers, instructions, ideas? Again, sorry, I'm so inexperienced in this network tech.
DO NOT put you real Library on any cloud or Share. Copies are fine, but you risk scrambling things when adding / making changes on a network (things need to happen in lock step and Net drives do not always comply)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also if you do make copies / sync between your computer and the cloud, please make it a one way sync (computer to cloud) so if any inadvertent changes do happen on the cloud they're not reflected back to the master copy

Old 05-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #9
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also if you do make copies / sync between your computer and the cloud, please make it a one way sync (computer to cloud) so if any inadvertent changes do happen on the cloud they're not reflected back to the master copy

I use a Mac program 'OneWaySync' to sync Calibre Libraries to OneDrive. This program has an option to 'delete on destination' which copes with the situation where a file has been deleted on the computer but remains on the cloud copy. Presumably without this option selected it would be there for evermore. Is that just a feature of this particular program or do they all have such an option?
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I'd be surprised if any program didn't have this ability, after all the rationale for a sync (whether one or two way) is to ensure the target is a mirror of the source. I know that under Windows I use freefilesync and that is what it does; any files in target NOT found in the source are dropped from the target.

Tags
nextcloud