Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think it has a piece of plastic covering it.
This makes sense. Thanks.
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #17
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
I'd have upgraded my PW2 to Voyage (Wife has Voyage) but for the absolutely horrid top hinged Origami cover. I dislike 3rd party covers, never seen one I'd buy.

If the PW4 has the same form factor as the PW2 and therefor fits my existing cover and costs about the same as the existing PW3 I'll probably buy. If not, assuming no increase in resolution Amazon wont be getting an order from me.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle PW2 and Voyage; Kobo Aura HD and One
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
I'd have upgraded my PW2 to Voyage (Wife has Voyage) but for the absolutely horrid top hinged Origami cover. I dislike 3rd party covers, never seen one I'd buy.
I admit I felt the same way about the origami cover as you when I first ordered my Voyage. I've since had a change of heart and ordered one, and actually find myself liking it quite well.

On the other hand, I also have a few 3rd party covers for my Voyage that I'm quite happy with. The ones I have work well-sleep/wake function works and they are lighter weight than the official Amazon cover. I find myself switching between covers fairly often.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Asus Zenpad
I like the positioning of the Voyage cover, it means that the device feels the same whether you are holding it in your left or right hand and the origami stand also seems less obtrusive than the usual ones you get on regular covers too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #20
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3, K4, KT, KT2, KT3...
I checked the Amazon website today, and it says that the Kindle Voyage is currently unavailable, with the option of signing up to be notified if it becomes available again. Also, sometimes I see the price $219.99 over the Kindle Voyage icon, instead of $199. Does this mean that a new one might be coming out in the near future, and that $219.99 is the price?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
$219 is the regular price without Special Offers. It means inventory is getting low.

If I were to guess the prototype is for a new Paperwhite with Voyage-like display. Voyage will go away. Maybe a price cut on the Oasis after that (e.g. In the fall). But we're all guessing at this point.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The following is a Google translate of the Chinese in the first post.

Quote:
You look forward to new products (KV simplified version of KPW4) and a few months and we will meet. (KPW4), high-definition map please go to my site to see (poke my name or signature the upper left corner) first clarify and break the top stickers XXXXX is about to come down the rumors, as far as I know, KINDLE OASIS really old Guo Ji line, not because other products are not good, because some of the expensive selling, product performance and KV this one overlap. KV although it is 14 years flagship, but the configuration is still the top level, as rumors of the KO next generation, we look forward to next year and it meet it Next year we will see two different sizes of Kindle high-end equipment, are metal materials and excellent waterproof function.
Good words return to the protagonist of the second half of this year to the past, the previous KPW series of products are followed the first generation of design, it is this bloated design, which led me to use half a month KPW2 turn to the shape of the special and compact KV up , KV has been in my hands for 2 years, I still like its shape, it may be the most beautiful inside the KINDLE family it The second half of 17 years will soon be listed on the new, is KPW4, not KV2 generation, KINDLE VOYAGE may no longer have the next generation, and replace it will be the status of the new KPW4, I also called it KV simplified version of this device The length is only 0.5 cm longer than the KV, width and thickness of the basic and KV consistent with a plastic material flat front panel, with waterproof function. The screen is still using the 300PPI 6-inch screen and the same as the previous paragraph, the memory CPU are not upgraded, a new generation of KPW series may have product control problems, as far as I know, the old Guo Department of the closure is not its OEM, and its OEM is a new factory in Jiangsu, a new generation of KPW series is likely to have a slight yin and yang screen, I hope this few months to overcome this many users are more concerned about the issue. There is the back of the appearance I do not disclose. Leave you a look forward to it
Finally talk about the price and strategic distribution, the current domestic brands of a new generation of models due to the rise in electronic devices, the price has reached 1100 ~ 1 200 or so, a new generation of KPW series is likely to be priced at around 1200. And KV price overlap, in order not to affect the KPW4 sales. KV will therefore stop the sale, the future product strategy is 2016 entry level (NK), 2017 of the mid-level (the new KPW4), and 2018 models of high-end machines (2 sizes and 6 inch). KV and KO may be in the first half of next year out of the stage of history. Well, I said so much. Give all the friends like to read a word: "The product is not the most important, love reading is the most important.”
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I do think Amazon is not doing users any favors by not giving them a choice of a larger screen size. 9.7" is too large for general use. 6.8" is a very good size for larger than 6". 7.8" is also good for those that want even larger. 9.7" is is niche size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #24
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I've had a couple of neighbors in my retirement home who need really large text to be able to read. One was able to make a 6.8" Kobo work for him but just barely. He couldn't afford a 9.7" one so he made do.

The other was unable to read on a 6.8" screen. I showed her a 9.7" tablet and a 10" tablet and she was barely able to read on those. I've wondered since then if she would have been able to if it had been e-ink. Of course I don't really know she could have but the problem that kept her from using it was eyestrain, not inability to read, so I think e-ink might have made a difference.

I think anything any company does to increase the number of choices is a good thing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #25
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Plug the HDMI output of the tablet into her 64" television, see if she can read that.
(Plus use a wireless mouse and keyboard.)

(Note, I actually had to do that for a friend - only in that case it was a 56" television.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
She moved out a long time ago into a nursing home. I did try letting her read on my 23" monitor and she could read the words but she quickly got eyestrain, probably from the LCD. In any case she said she wouldn't be comfortable reading that way and I can understand that. I have read a few books on a desktop lo those many years ago but I never liked it.

I finally helped her learn to use audiobooks, but that was a temporary solution since her hearing was going as well. I haven't seen her for a while so I have no idea how that all turned out.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
haydnfan
Fanatic
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Fire HD8 currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think Amazon is not doing users any favors by not giving them a choice of a larger screen size. 9.7" is too large for general use. 6.8" is a very good size for larger than 6". 7.8" is also good for those that want even larger. 9.7" is is niche size.
After using plenty of Kobo and Kindles I think that 6.8 is the ideal size for me, 6 feels too small, and I honestly don't need the real estate of a 7.8 screen.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #28
DrD123
DrD123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I checked the Amazon website today, and it says that the Kindle Voyage is currently unavailable, with the option of signing up to be notified if it becomes available again. Also, sometimes I see the price $219.99 over the Kindle Voyage icon, instead of $199. Does this mean that a new one might be coming out in the near future, and that $219.99 is the price?
Voyage shows as in-stock right now (on sale at $179.99 with special offers, 199.99 without) - looks like their order process has you choose a customization option (with special offers, without, with 3G, without, etc.) - maybe they were transitioning their site when you checked?
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #29
kcladyz
Enthusiast
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Nook, Voyage, Oasis, Ipad , Asus pad
I am new.

There seems to be no place for intro posts so I'll just jump in.

That photo is circulating all over the net. I am really eager for a screen over 6"
The waiting is killing me!
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA, KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I am new.
There seems to be no place for intro posts so I'll just jump in.
- - - -
Something like the forum named "Introduce Yourself" ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It is rather far down on the top level forum index, it could be your page-down button wore out before you got to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote