Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjmb View Post
I am mystified as to how to tell Kindle to open to the cover. I can use the "text" semantics to open the book anywhere else, but as you pointed out, my html cover is not supposed to be included in the book. your enlightenment on this matter would be much appreciated!
Well, kiddo, I should very much love to enlighten you--but I cannot. Oh, sure, I can foist a bunch of drivel on you--some folks say that they do this, and do that, and their book opens to the cover--but the reality is, that's not where Amazon wants, and intends for, it to open. Amazon's intent is for the book to open to the first full page of text after the TOC--period.

Their use information indicated, long before the advent of SRLs and all that, that the typical Amazon buyer doesn't ever look at the cover, or (I know, no author wants to hear this!) the frontmatter. The cover never gets thumbed back to, etc. So, Amazon gave the reading customer what they wanted--the SRL opens where most people open the book. And I guess that Amazon assumes that the buyer who does want to look at the frontmatter has the brainpower to flip back to it.

So: the short of it is, if you try to set your SRL, you have a better-than-75% chance that--important--even if you get it working, as you expect, in your preview--it will be changed AFTER the book goes through the PW--the "publishing Workflow," which is everything at Amazon that occurs after you hit "save and publish."

If memory serves, Notjohn does something that he says sets his SRL to the cover, but I think that he's also concerned about the LITB starting at the cover. I'm sure he'll elucidate further.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 3.0, nav.xhtml, table of contents