Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #16
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
You forget to add the Clara HD to your site.
Thanks for reminding me. I'll do it now.

Edit: done (https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html). The new FW versions have been added, the date for them has been corrected, and the Clara HD has been added.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-04-2018 at 10:47 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've written a tool to extract the version info from a firmware zip (4.7.10413+). It can be downloaded here. On windows, just drag either the update zip, KoboRoot.tgz, or libnickel.so.1.0.0 on to the kobo-versionextract.exe. It extracts the real release date (the URLs have been inaccurate recently), the version, and the revision.

This tool should make it easier to check for this kind of thing (where kobo has misleading update filenames and URLs), which has been happening quite a bit in the recent versions. It's almost as if Kobo is doing this on purpose to mess with my firmware page .

P.S. That same repository also has other tools (and more coming as I find a need for them), such as kobo-find (finds the path to a connected kobo device, useful in scripts) and kobo-info (gets various information from the kobo).
Advert
Old 07-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard

This firmware has been released for quite a few more devices now.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
This firmware has been released for quite a few more devices now.
By the way, you should fix the dates, its July.
Or i could have traveled in time again, idk.That bug with my memory being erased every time i travel is kind of annoying, but the device is still in beta after all.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaLx3m View Post
By the way, you should fix the dates, its July.
Or i could have traveled in time again, idk.That bug with my memory being erased every time i travel is kind of annoying, but the device is still in beta after all.
I'm pretty sure the date being shown is taken from the firmware build date. 4.9.11311 says t was built 29/06/2018. There is usually a few days of testing between the build and release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 02:01 AM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I haven't installed this firmware yet, but it looks like the problem of the narrow line spacing used for the book synopsis on Glo/Aura/Aura2 might have been fixed?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 AM   #22
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
After upgrading (OTA) my KA2 from 4.8.11073, I did experienced a strange phenomenon: in the home screen the menu-bar (indicating the menu, "home", background lighting, wifi, etc.) was completely gone and remained gone.
It did reappear when opening a book, only to be absent when returning to the home screen.

I did a device off/device on cycle and that seems to have cured it.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I haven't installed this firmware yet, but it looks like the problem of the narrow line spacing used for the book synopsis on Glo/Aura/Aura2 might have been fixed?
I don't think I ever noticed a problem, but looking at the synopsis on my Glo, they look fine to me. It doesn't look any different to how the Glo HD displays them. Or the Aura H2O.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #24
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think I ever noticed a problem, but looking at the synopsis on my Glo, they look fine to me. It doesn't look any different to how the Glo HD displays them. Or the Aura H2O.
The problem is where a line could get cut off at the end of the synopsis container.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 AM   #25
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the date being shown is taken from the firmware build date. 4.9.11311 says t was built 29/06/2018. There is usually a few days of testing between the build and release.
Yep. The dates are taken from the revinfo modification date. I could add a few days to it to make up for the difference, as I don't think Kobo has ever released a firmware version right after building it.

Also, do you happen to know anything about the messed up firmware URLs recently? And, do you know if versions older than 4.7.10413 have a easy way to extract the firmware version from libnickel?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem is where a line could get cut off at the end of the synopsis container.
In that case, I still haven't seen it with this firmware. But, I haven't looked at many that went over one page.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yep. The dates are taken from the revinfo modification date. I could add a few days to it to make up for the difference, as I don't think Kobo has ever released a firmware version right after building it.
I'd stick to the date in the firmware. That is what will be displayed on the Device info page of the settings.
Quote:
Also, do you happen to know anything about the messed up firmware URLs recently?
The only one I noticed that was different was for the initial Clara release. That might have just been the fact it was a new device.
Quote:
And, do you know if versions older than 4.7.10413 have a easy way to extract the firmware version from libnickel?
No, but I never looked very hard.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I'd stick to the date in the firmware. That is what will be displayed on the Device info page of the settings.
Ok.

Quote:
The only one I noticed that was different was for the initial Clara release. That might have just been the fact it was a new device.
Here are some examples: https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader/issues/78

Quote:
No, but I never looked very hard.
Ok, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To be honest, I don't see an issue with them. The first two are the firmware for the Clara HD. That had two versions, one was a little before the official release of the device, so it was probably for the reviewers. The other was around the time of the device release and I assume they didn't see a need to have the full version number.

The other "problem" is the directory name. The use of a date in it is actually fairly new. They used to use all sorts of things but apparently the person creating them was a hockey fan.

In any case the URL doesn't matter. It isn't really for public consumption. It is intended to only be used by the device or the desktop application to download the firmware. The API tells the device what the URL is and they could generate something different each time if they wanted to. They could easily use something random, but it is probably simpler on their server to do something meaningful.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #30
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
To be honest, I don't see an issue with them. The first two are the firmware for the Clara HD. That had two versions, one was a little before the official release of the device, so it was probably for the reviewers. The other was around the time of the device release and I assume they didn't see a need to have the full version number.

The other "problem" is the directory name. The use of a date in it is actually fairly new. They used to use all sorts of things but apparently the person creating them was a hockey fan.

In any case the URL doesn't matter. It isn't really for public consumption. It is intended to only be used by the device or the desktop application to download the firmware. The API tells the device what the URL is and they could generate something different each time if they wanted to. They could easily use something random, but it is probably simpler on their server to do something meaningful.
You do have a point there. The main thing is that having consistent firmware URLs makes my life easier so I don't need to do hacky stuff like this. I may just end up making more of the page server-side so I can actually get the version and date from the update itself.