Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #36061
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just now I'm browsing MobileRead, of course, but shortly I'll be out to cut another hedge. (I have three. This is the third.)
And I need to wash dishes and then continue cutting Crystal.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #36062
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Resting after cutting the hedge. Alas, the rain came before I could finish clearing all the debris. Tomorrow.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #36063
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
avoiding actually doing some work.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #36064
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Wondering why I'm at the computer at 5am?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #36065
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Rain finally ended last night! After a cool breezy day I dashed out with the lawn mower before I had a lush jungle develop overnight!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #36066
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to find the cat... I wonder if she fell asleep in one of the boxes and got sealed in. I haven't seen her all afternoon, and she's not in any of her usual sleeping places. Well, another hour and I'll find out for sure. That's feeding time and she knows that we bought some fresh sashimi just for her. Where ever she is, she'll be asking for dinner very soon!

Stitchawl
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #36067
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Trying to find the cat... I wonder if she fell asleep in one of the boxes and got sealed in. I haven't seen her all afternoon, and she's not in any of her usual sleeping places. Well, another hour and I'll find out for sure. That's feeding time and she knows that we bought some fresh sashimi just for her. Where ever she is, she'll be asking for dinner very soon!

Stitchawl
So have you found her yet? Cats can pick up the vibes that something is going on, and start to act a bit strange, including running off, so hope that doesn't happen just as you are about to move...

I'm preparing myself for a day of "Dad's Taxi", including taking 3 11 yo girls swimming. Such fun.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #36068
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
So have you found her yet? Cats can pick up the vibes that something is going on, and start to act a bit strange, including running off, so hope that doesn't happen just as you are about to move...
She strolled in, exactly when Mickey's little hand pointed to the 5 and his big hand up at the 12, announcing her presence, sitting down next to her bowl giving us dirty looks. When we just looked back at her, she came over, jumped up into my lap, put herself nose to nose with me, and ever so politely howled like a banshee for five full seconds (which, relatively speaking is an eternity when you are nose to nose with a cat,) jumped back down and sat next to her bowl again. I got the message... She got her maguro sashimi.

Quote:
I'm preparing myself for a day of "Dad's Taxi", including taking 3 11 yo girls swimming. Such fun.
Consider yourself lucky. My Hong Kong friend had to play host to a group of 11 year old girls indoors watching 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' for the day. All things being equal, you got off easy.

I'm sitting here fabricating a traveling kitty litter box. We'll be arriving at the hotel in the evening, and I'm sure after spending the day inside her travel box Felicity will be more than happy to find some nice kitty litter to pee in. By cutting up a plastic storage drawer, I can get it to fit exactly into the bottom of my wife's carry-on case without taking up any real usable space. With a bit of duct tape to hold it all back together again, and a plastic bin liner, it will comfortably (and safely) hold a kilo or two of kitty litter. It's just a shame that I can't let her out of her travel box while inside the plane. She'd be a lot more comfortable sleeping in my wife's lap than in her travel box.

Stitchawl
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #36069
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I flew across the US (Washington state to NC) with my cat in a carry-on travel box under the seat in front of me. He was tranquilized with Valium for the flight and did fine (I could have used some myself) - slept the entire flight - even with the flight attendants asking to see him.

The only hitch in the trip was passing through Atlanta air port - the security folk wanted me to open the box to make sure the cat wasn't wearing an explosive vest. I pointed to the expanse of the airport and refused .... they eventually shone a flashlight through the slits and agreed it was a sleeping cat. They were too dumb/tired/apathetic to suggest we move to a private room and open the box.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #36070
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I flew across the US (Washington state to NC) with my cat in a carry-on travel box under the seat in front of me. He was tranquilized with Valium for the flight and did fine (I could have used some myself) - slept the entire flight - even with the flight attendants asking to see him.

The only hitch in the trip was passing through Atlanta air port - the security folk wanted me to open the box to make sure the cat wasn't wearing an explosive vest. I pointed to the expanse of the airport and refused .... they eventually shone a flashlight through the slits and agreed it was a sleeping cat. They were too dumb/tired/apathetic to suggest we move to a private room and open the box.
We tranqed Felicity for the flight from Thailand to Japan, but as it's a nine hour flight, she was awake for the last 4-5 hours. The vets in Japan don't like the idea of dosing the cats before flights (I don't know why,) but I may give her some anyway. I need to figure out the correct dosage for her. And I wonder if Alprazolam might be better anyway. That's a better anti-anxiety drug than Valium, even though they are both in the benzodiazepine class. I keep a large medical supply of everything on hand in Japan, as Japanese doctors prefer to hospitalize rather than home medicate. They will give two days worth of amoxicillin saying that if that doesn't cure your bronchitis you need to be hospitalized. Most meds are available over the counter in Thailand (except narcotics or stimulants) so I always stock up with fresh stuff each visit. I was a medic during the war, and have kept up with the newer medications and treatments just out of interest. I do, however, leave organ transplants to the professionals.

Stitchawl
Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #36071
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I do, however, leave organ transplants to the professionals.
There are limits to self-medication, I guess...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #36072
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
There are limits to self-medication, I guess...
Very true. But one never outgrows the fun of playing doctor.

Stitchawl
Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #36073
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
We tranqed Felicity for the flight from Thailand to Japan, but as it's a nine hour flight, she was awake for the last 4-5 hours. The vets in Japan don't like the idea of dosing the cats before flights (I don't know why,) but I may give her some anyway. I need to figure out the correct dosage for her. And I wonder if Alprazolam might be better anyway. That's a better anti-anxiety drug than Valium, even though they are both in the benzodiazepine class. I keep a large medical supply of everything on hand in Japan, as Japanese doctors prefer to hospitalize rather than home medicate. They will give two days worth of amoxicillin saying that if that doesn't cure your bronchitis you need to be hospitalized. Most meds are available over the counter in Thailand (except narcotics or stimulants) so I always stock up with fresh stuff each visit. I was a medic during the war, and have kept up with the newer medications and treatments just out of interest. I do, however, leave organ transplants to the professionals.

Stitchawl
Cats can have quite individual reactions to different drugs - even to drugs in the same class. I had tried Buster on phenobarbital - which everyone assured me was the best choice for cats - but it had no effect on him at all. Valium, however, worked dandy.

So, the rule is to try the drug at home to make sure it works, before the day of the trip. I've seen a lot of differing reports on Xanax & cats - some say it's the best choice for travel, others report aggressive reactions and behavioral changes. YMMV. You can never predict how cats will react.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #36074
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Ordering knives. I'm getting the Victorinox SwissChamp in black for myself, plus a bottle of oil, and for my sister I'm getting the Victorinox Classic Magnolia (she wants a simple knife for work but thinks the standard designs are ugly).

They haven't got the black SwissChamp in stock so it will take 2-4 days, with a bit of luck it'll arrive before my trip to Antwerp next week .
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #36075
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I'm enjoying a lazy 3-day Memorial Day weekend ... spent the morning wandering around Duke Gardens (the frogs were croaking at full volume), then watched the magnificent Merchant & Ivory film adaptation of Henry James' "The Golden Bowl" - I would never have believed one could cast Nick Nolte and Uma Thurman in a Henry James film - but they were outstanding.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?