Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Going to set the 2015 goal post at the place where I round out 2014, given that 2014 was a banner year for me I can only hope that 2015 is as good to me as the previous year was. I am going to set a secondary goal of getting to one hundred books read, something that I am not likely to hit however its a nice goal. Haven't started entering progress information as yet, will start that around XMas.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I have two goals for 2015:

1. Read more of the books that have been sitting on my kindle/phone since 2012.
2. Read at least 40 books this year including 5 classics off my audible account.

Since I started keeping track of my reading again in 2012 I have averaged 40-45 books a year not including the piles of Short Stories I consumed.

Last edited by Red Falcon; 12-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I think mu goal for 2015 is going to be pretty similar to 2014, but I may up my goal from 80 books, as i blew through that in July, and look set to beat 2013's record of 135, given I'm already on 131 books. I may set my goal at a nice round 100, and see what happens.I definitely want to get through some of my tbr pile sitting on my Kindle, so that will be my secondary goal.

Summary

Primary Goal: Read 100 Books

Secondary Goal: Reduce TBR pile on Kindle
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #19
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I will set my target for 80 books for next year
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #20
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My reading goals for 2015 centered around a genre-centric group I joined on Goodreads. We concentrate mainly on Speculative Fiction, which includes: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, and their many sub genres. We also added Young Adult as its own category.
I'm joining the 42 SF Challenge for 2015. This is not *just* a reading challenge. Participants are asked to "Review 42 sci-fi related items: short stories, novellas, novels, radio show episodes, television show episodes, movies, graphic novels, comic books, audio books, essays about science fiction, biographies about sci-fi authors, etc." We all know that "42" is a number with special meaning to SF fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
C) Reduce "Purchased but Unread" balance to below $100 (currently at $167 and change)
Now that's a cool metric. I ought to go tally up the purchased/unread eBooks that I have. That should be so easy since I have a spreadsheet of all the purchased eBooks with an indicator of whether or not they've been read. I also have close to 1000 unread dead-tree-books, but I purchased very few of them, and the ones that I did buy were typically 4-for-a-dollar at the annual library sales. At any rate, I wouldn't begin to be able to determine the monetary value of those books.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #21
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
No goals or challenges for me in 2015. I had enough of structured reading for past two years. 2015 is reserved for reading whatever I feel like, when I feel like it. If that means reading 50 or 5 books in a year, it's all the same to me. Time to have more fun with reading.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I'm joining the 42 SF Challenge for 2015. This is not *just* a reading challenge. Participants are asked to "Review 42 sci-fi related items: short stories, novellas, novels, radio show episodes, television show episodes, movies, graphic novels, comic books, audio books, essays about science fiction, biographies about sci-fi authors, etc." We all know that "42" is a number with special meaning to SF fans.
That sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
No goals or challenges for me in 2015. I had enough of structured reading for past two years. 2015 is reserved for reading whatever I feel like, when I feel like it. If that means reading 50 or 5 books in a year, it's all the same to me. Time to have more fun with reading.
I hope you have a great time reading in 2015.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh - one thing I'm going to add to my challenge for 2015 is to read all my bought but unread ebooks from 2005 AND 2006!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hope you have a great time reading in 2015.
Thank you. You too.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
So, I've set my overall reading goal at 60 books, with a sub-goal of 5 non-fiction books. Reading over my reading list from this year, I realised that I had not read any non-fiction books which I don't think has ever happened before (although, I did only start tracking in March). Usually, at least one quarter of my reading (often more) is non-fiction. I think it is because I got my first e-reader and so I read lots of fiction, as I don't really find non-fiction readable on an e-reader. Next year, I want to get back to my usual pattern of reading several non-fiction books.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've decided on my goals for 2015:
  1. To read my 54 unread ebooks from 2005 and 2006.
  2. To spend no more than £25/month on ebooks on average over the year.
  3. To reduce my TBR list in calibre to below 700. (Currently it's around 750)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #28
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have less a goal than a "here is the most number of books that I have ever read in a year." I don't even remember what year that was and I had to go find my 2014 list to copy it because I couldn't remember the number. (No worries about meeting or exceeding it this year either.)

I like having a list of the books I read. When I was younger, I would arrange my bookshelves so that the books I read were stacked in the order I read them and I could see them all lined up together, at least until I started re-reading them. The lists do something similar for me -- it is very satisfying to watch it grow!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think in addition to just reading and recording stuff (the latter being the real challenge every year, TBH, since I read more than the 100 books that were the original suggested challenge way back when all this started, IIRC), my challenge is going to involve trying to read more in the way of the non-English translated books I've acquired over the years.

You see, francophone publishers are generally quite good about publishing translated sf/fantasy from even relatively obscure authors, but they often have a short shelf life for their editions' availability, with my having learned the hard way that if I don't pounce on anything I might want that isn't a Terry Pratchett Discworld (which have excellent French translations, by the way) pretty much the moment it appears, it's going to disappear and become unavailable to order very shortly afterwards (and then go for $$$ in the used section, if they show up there at all) and not get reprinted for years, if ever.

So I've kind of gotten into the habit of auto-buying my very favourites once they hit French mass-market-sized paperback (or money-saving omnibus editions), and 2015 is probably the year I should finally get around to reading more of them and see how good/bad/monkey* the translations† are and how well the stories hold up.

* Sometimes I miss Warren Ellis' Nextwave, which I like to pretend is the canon version of the Marvel Comics Universe.

† Forever disappointed that the translation of Barbara Hambly's 1st Benjamin January antebellum New Orleans mystery novel did not teach me the French equivalent of the word "absquatulate".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
@ATDrake: Now that's a worthwhile challenge. If my French were better, I might give it a try. Or my Spanish, either one. How has the wide availability of eBooks changed that publishing picture? Do they do eBook versions? Or just paperback?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote