Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
mjmmcm
mjmmcm began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question I'm a newbie...Kindle or nook?

Hi, all. I'm a novice. My husband got me the kindle for our anniversary and we got the nook to compare the two side by side.

I just read that some public library books are available on the nook? For free? Can the kindle do this?

I'm ok with all the other features of both, although I don't think the toggle knob on the kindle is great, and the touch screen on the nook is overrated compared to my iPhone.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks-look forward to hearing from you.
mjmmcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You probably want to ask this in the "Which one should I buy?" forum. I'll ask a mod to move it for you.

(oh, and I'm a Sony partisan, so I'd have to answer "neither")
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Like Worldwalker, Mjm, I would give neither the Kindle nor the Nook house room. But it's all about horses for courses and I'm happy that so many friends here love 'em. As suggested, though, best to post your question in the *Which One Should I Buy?* section of the forums for a less narrow view than mine. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
mjmmcm
mjmmcm began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for moving the thread...I habve no clue...!
mjmmcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmmcm View Post
Hi, all. I'm a novice. My husband got me the kindle for our anniversary and we got the nook to compare the two side by side.

I just read that some public library books are available on the nook? For free? Can the kindle do this?

I'm ok with all the other features of both, although I don't think the toggle knob on the kindle is great, and the touch screen on the nook is overrated compared to my iPhone.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks-look forward to hearing from you.
No, I don't believe the Kindle supports books from public library. The Nook does for sure via Adobe Digital editions. You can checkout my eReader site for a large list of features for both devices, compared side by side.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I thought the Kindle could read mobi library books. I just didn't think there were as many libraries that offered the books in this format. I read library books all the time on my nook. There are a number of libraries that will sell out of state residents memberships, so even if your local library doesn't offer ebooks, there are still options available.

Both devices offer dictionaries and the ability to take notes, although I believe the Kindle is a little more user friendly in this category.

I researched both for a couple months before settling on the nook. The library was the biggest selling point for me.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I got my Nook because
  1. it will read the downloadable overdrive, ebooks from my Library.
  2. I liked ther look & feel of the Nook better than the Sony's I saw.
  3. I was getting very good customer service at my local B&N (the trend continues 8-) ) and poor service elsewhere.
  4. the tea leaves and the chicken's liver agreed, so the gods were favorable to the Nook.

I love my Nook, but your mileage may vary. I'd suggest looking at the eReader matrix, check the forums, and note the positive and negative experiences actual users are having. Then make a choice you love.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-09-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: If you lived here you’d be home by now. You'd also probably be pixillated.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
If you care about library loaned books, yes, the nook is the way to go as most libraries now only carry ebooks in either epub or pdf format both of which the nook supports. There are tools out there that can convert epub to the format that kindle supports, however, there are legal concerns for doing that on library loaned books. So, if that is one of the usage you have in mind, go for the nook or Sony.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote