Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
buckeroo987
buckeroo987 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Ebook Site

Hi there,

As eager e-book readers I am keen to gauge your response to a new website that I am developing. This is not a spam post by the way and I am not including a link to the site (not yet up and running anyway!).

My idea is to provide a space for new/unpublished authors to sell their work as an ebook. There seem to be a few sites doing this but none seems to really have taken off.

I have a few ideas on how to increase visitors numbers and build a community to hopefully make it an attractive place to shop and also to sell.

Would you be interested in a such a site and what would you want to see in it? If you do know of such a site please let me know so I can stop wasting my time!
buckeroo987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Smashwords

http://www.smashwords.com/
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Yeah, I was going to say this. Smashwords is actually really picking up speed. They offer books without DRM in pretty much every format out there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
buckeroo987

Thanks for pointing that out. Mine will be UK-based but this site does appear to be pretty much what I had in mind....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, buckeroo987
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
buckeroo987

Hello again,

Last edited by buckeroo987; 02-21-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
buckeroo987

Take that as a no?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeroo987 View Post
Take that as a no?
I think we need to know the terms stated in your contract.

Can you give us key points in your CV concerning publishing or your knowledge of publishing, along with any past experience dealing with authors or anything else related to publishing?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-19-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As Don suggests, Buckeroo, publishing is a complex business that needs experienced, tried and tested, qualified professionals at the helm who know what's going on (you didn't even know about Smashwords, which hardly suggests you have a finger on the pulse).

There is really no call for enthusiastic amateurs. If you 'decided' to set up -- with the best intentions -- as a surgeon, would you expect us to be lining up to have liver transplants and appendectomies? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote