Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 AM   #436
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
So, you can use more engines than Pico? How do you evaluate the quality?
I suppose you can use it on all software that use TTS?
Hello Mdp,

You've missed my reply to your last question : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=427

I would like to test Acapela but I don't know how and if exist any risk, or if NeoReader 2 can works this new TTS system.

I've test the French Pico voice, it's not bad, but for a composed word like 'mi-hauteur', the system said 'mi' followed by 'tiret' ('dash') followed by 'hauteur'. It doesn't know how to read the composed word

And I don't connect the Max2 to Internet, so it's complicated for me to know to install a such application - I'm again a 'newbee' with Adnroid.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #437
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
You've missed my reply to your last question ... I would like to test Acapela but I don't know how and if exist any risk, or if NeoReader 2 can works this new TTS system
Yes I remember that input, I was now wondering on which software packages the use of that "Pico" is applicable, and if Pico can be flanked by other engines.

Acapela (note: the exact pronunciation I figure should be
"[local voice] Acapela [sudden off-screen echoing voice] A-CAPPELLA!!!")
works on FBReader, which - though probably with some tricks and caveats - is a very good tool to have in your shed. I hope I will be able to try that soon (kind of swamped in this period, I have to catch up with thousands of hours of study).
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #438
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes I remember that input, I was now wondering on which software packages the use of that "Pico" is applicable, and if Pico can be flanked by other engines.

works on FBReader, which - though probably with some tricks and caveats - is a very good tool to have in your shed. I hope I will be able to try that soon (kind of swamped in this period, I have to catch up with thousands of hours of study).
Thank you. Take you time.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:32 AM   #439
everalm
everalm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Boox 2
It would APPEAR that a new firmware version for the Max 2 will be released in June. Not holding my breath that it will fix issues like security locking, changing to a more stock Android version, better customization of power management etc, still....

http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...are-update/396
everalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #440
onyx2001
onyx2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Max 2 and T86
great to hear about the new firmware!
can't wait for the urgent fix of the missing home button omission.

I'm using my pen with a very light touch now because after one month of usage of a swype keyboard the area became ugly with scratches. so it is obviously not just the erazor/ back of the pen which destroys the display.

two more things I would love to get fixed

one is the useless volume control: even when I have it switched to " page mode" it still doesn't do page up and page down in most applications.

2. it doesn't fall asleep anymore. even though I close all apps it could be a background app. but still maybe they find a way to force close all apps to standby, otherwise the battery gets drained within a day if I don't switch it off manually
onyx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #441
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:

The Pico TTS system is not good with a French text. The sentences are cut in small parts per example. It's too bad to be really useful.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #442
onyx2001
onyx2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Max 2 and T86
Quote:
So, you can use more engines than Pico?
Yes, there are much much better voices in the play store!
onyx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #443
Remus Mocanu
Remus Mocanu began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Factory Update just deleting installed apps

I bought recently a Boox Max 2. I made an update last week and installed some applications from Google Play. Yesterday I learned about the new update, 1.9.0, and tried to install it. For a while all seemed to be OK, but after the reboot I discovered that in the "recent screens" there is an open application called "OnyxOtaService" with a message - "Cannot find upgrade package!".

Unfortunately in the "system update" section of the settings the update 1.9.0 appeared as installed. Any retry to download it again fails due to "no update package available".

And now the supreme failure: I made a "factory reset" (systems-->privacy-->facatory data restore), that only delete the installed applications and accounts. The update to the system remains intact - the update 1.9.0 is still there in the update section of the settings, but not really installed: no new "knote" application on the home page, still the old "note".

Now I requested a return from Amazon, but the idea to be for some 3 weeks without a "Max 2" makes me very unhappy. I love this eink tablet A LOT. It's what I hoped to buy for the last 15 years of using all kinds of ereaders.

So please help me to make the device go through a real "factory reset", hopefully without using difficult methods that exceeds the abilities of someone that isn't a software programmer - my biggest success was to just install koreader (and the launcher) on a Kobo Aura H20, some years ago - of course, with your help. Maybe the guy here that works with Onyx for software enhancements can tell me about a key combination that triggers a factory reset.
Remus Mocanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #444
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
@ Remus : try to contact him as described here

or create a topic on Boox forum

Last edited by DenisR; 07-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #445
Remus Mocanu
Remus Mocanu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisR View Post
@ Remus : try to contact him as described here

or create a topic on Boox forum
Thank You!
Remus Mocanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #446
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus Mocanu View Post
So please help me to make the device go through a real "factory reset", hopefully without using difficult methods that exceeds the abilities of someone that isn't a software programmer - my biggest success was to just install koreader (and the launcher) on a Kobo Aura H20, some years ago - of course, with your help. Maybe the guy here that works with Onyx for software enhancements can tell me about a key combination that triggers a factory reset.
1. Downgrade locally to older version system.
2. Upgrade again.

However I can't find older version available on http://www.boox.com/downloads/, maybe someone else has one saved in their google drive. Good luck!
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:24 AM   #447
Randy11
Wizard

Library : no abstract for books.

Hello,

When I used the 'Library', 2 notice that :
  • for many books the cover is not displayed;
  • the abstract is not present. The abstract is visible with 'Calibre' or 'Librara' with the Max2.

I use the firmware 1.8.3 .

Any idea ?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #448
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

When I used the 'Library', 2 notice that :
  • for many books the cover is not displayed;
  • the abstract is not present. The abstract is visible with 'Calibre' or 'Librara' with the Max2.

I use the firmware 1.8.3 .

Any idea ?
update the firmware and scan for metadata the library
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #449
sheepman
sheepman began at the beginning.

Wifi stopped working completely

Hi, my wifi was working perfectly fine the other day and is infinitely stuck on 'Turning on' now. Bluetooth does not want to turn on either.

I tried several reboots to no avail, then I performed a factory reset and still nothing. I searched online and also tried to change back the date and turned off automatic date & time. Nothing works. Is this a known problem with the Boox Max2 and can anyone suggest a solution? Or is it perhaps a hardware issue?

Thanks for any insight.
sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #450
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman View Post
Hi, my wifi was working perfectly fine the other day and is infinitely stuck on 'Turning on' now. Bluetooth does not want to turn on either.

I tried several reboots to no avail, then I performed a factory reset and still nothing. I searched online and also tried to change back the date and turned off automatic date & time. Nothing works. Is this a known problem with the Boox Max2 and can anyone suggest a solution? Or is it perhaps a hardware issue?

Thanks for any insight.
looks like you are the only one, maybe a factory reset from the recovery?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote