Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Alice98
Alice98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Kobo glo HD .vs. Nook glowlight plus-Help

Hi, after my ebook (Kobo glo) stopped working (it froze :\) i'm looking for a new one. I'm going to the army soon so i need it to be a bit sturdy&durable(It will be in a bag with a lot of items).
I really like Kobo's software with all the different options for fonts, but i read that it breaks easily to a lot of people. I also saw that the nook's lightning is a bit more blueish in tone-which i didn't like.

*sorry for bad English*

Which one is better and why? Do you recommened a different one?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Alice98; 11-05-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Alice98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice98 View Post
Hi, after my ebook (Kobo glo) stopped working (it froze :\) i'm looking for a new one. I'm going to the army soon so i need it to be a bit sturdy&durable(It will be in a bag with a lot of items).
I really like Kobo's software with all the different options for fonts, but i read that it breaks easily to a lot of people. I also saw that the nook's lightning is a bit more blueish in tone-which i didn't like.

*sorry for bad English*

Which one is better and why? Do you recommened a different one?
Thanks in advance!
I don't know that any e-reader is tougher than any other (except for waterproofing. The current Nook Glowlight Plus, the Aura H20 and the Aura One offer that). Sounds more like you should get a good case for whatever reader you buy.

The best I can say beyond that is take reasonable care of the thing. My Aura goes into a satchel along with my phone, tablet, wallet, keys, etc and it is fine.

You didn't mention your location, but since you are looking at the Nook, I'm guessing you are in the US. You might want to check out the seller Spinningnoon on eBay. You could get a Kobo Aura and the official case for about $65. At least if you break it in your travels, you didn't spend a ton.

Good luck!

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-05-2016 at 12:09 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You might have a problem getting a Glo HD; they're still out there, but Kobo no longer sells them.

That said, I don't see why you wouldn't stay with Kobo, especially since you've been happy with your Kobo experience. It looks as if your Glo had a long life; I think breakage reports can be exaggerated in that people don't report unbroken readers.

Since you liked your Glo, why not consider the new Aura 2? It has the same resolution as the Glo, so should be good enough. Its only drawback compared to the Glo is that you can't add an SD card. If that's important to you, there's the pricier H2O with better resolution. The larger size might be a plus or minus.

Buy a Kobo, get a decent aftermarket cover (because Kobo covers are insanely expensive) and you'll be fine.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Alice98

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You might have a problem getting a Glo HD; they're still out there, but Kobo no longer sells them.

That said, I don't see why you wouldn't stay with Kobo, especially since you've been happy with your Kobo experience. It looks as if your Glo had a long life; I think breakage reports can be exaggerated in that people don't report unbroken readers.

Since you liked your Glo, why not consider the new Aura 2? It has the same resolution as the Glo, so should be good enough. Its only drawback compared to the Glo is that you can't add an SD card. If that's important to you, there's the pricier H2O with better resolution. The larger size might be a plus or minus.

Buy a Kobo, get a decent aftermarket cover (because Kobo covers are insanely expensive) and you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't know that any e-reader is tougher than any other (except for waterproofing. The current Nook Glowlight Plus, the Aura H20 and the Aura One offer that). Sounds more like you should get a good case for whatever reader you buy.

The best I can say beyond that is take reasonable care of the thing. My Aura goes into a satchel along with my phone, tablet, wallet, keys, etc and it is fine.

You didn't mention your location, but since you are looking at the Nook, I'm guessing you are in the US. You might want to check out the seller Spinningnoon on eBay. You could get a Kobo Aura and the official case for about $65. At least if you break it in your travels, you didn't spend a ton.

Good luck!
I'm actuelly from Israel (I bought the e-reader online).
I found a Kobo glo HD and ordered it
Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I found a Kobo glo HD and ordered it
Sticking with Kobo sounds like a good idea. The software on the Aura has really won me over.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Nook Glowlight Plus and, while there are a lot of things I like about it there are a couple of showstoppers, at least for me.

First, the Nook button, which is the Home button, is no longer a button but is a capacative areas in the lower center of the device front, right where I want to hold it. I'll be involved in my reading and forget not to touch there and find myself back at the home screen. This isn't just an occasional problem. It happens on more pages than not. It's very irritating and I can't seem to break the habit.

I did try putting various things in that area to help remind me, warn my finger away, etc. and I did have a little success with that but anything that lets me use the Nook button at all let's me accidentally use it far too often. And at times I just have to use it so I can't cover it completely.

The other problem is the dictionary. I use dictionaries a lot for words I don't know or when I see a word used in a different way. This thing actually shows the dictionary entries in greyed out text that's very difficult to read. I would say it was the dumbest design feature in the history of technology if it weren't for that dratted Nook button.

Honestly if it wasn't for those two problems I'd really like this device. The screen is great. Everything works well. But those two things completely ruin it for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Hi, after my ebook (Kobo glo) stopped working (it froze :\) i'm looking for a new one.
Froze, or does it have a broken screen? If it's just frozen, it may well be fixable, unless you were looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
Alice98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Nook Glowlight Plus and, while there are a lot of things I like about it there are a couple of showstoppers, at least for me.

First, the Nook button, which is the Home button, is no longer a button but is a capacative areas in the lower center of the device front, right where I want to hold it. I'll be involved in my reading and forget not to touch there and find myself back at the home screen. This isn't just an occasional problem. It happens on more pages than not. It's very irritating and I can't seem to break the habit.

I did try putting various things in that area to help remind me, warn my finger away, etc. and I did have a little success with that but anything that lets me use the Nook button at all let's me accidentally use it far too often. And at times I just have to use it so I can't cover it completely.

The other problem is the dictionary. I use dictionaries a lot for words I don't know or when I see a word used in a different way. This thing actually shows the dictionary entries in greyed out text that's very difficult to read. I would say it was the dumbest design feature in the history of technology if it weren't for that dratted Nook button.

Honestly if it wasn't for those two problems I'd really like this device. The screen is great. Everything works well. But those two things completely ruin it for me.

Barry
haha i ordered the Kobo glo HD, and your comment really helped me understand that i made the right choice for me (i would go crazy from that home-button)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Froze, or does it have a broken screen? If it's just frozen, it may well be fixable, unless you were looking for an excuse to replace it anyway.
It's probably a broken screen (it looks fine but nothing helps-soft-reset, factory-reset). I wrote a post here about it and from how the e-reader reacts people told me that it's probably a broken screen :\

Tags
ebook, kobo, nook