Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Omnibus /box set books

Anyone prefer omnibus/box set books?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Yes, if it's more, then why not take the full dosage at once
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
If it's well done, then yes. By well done I mean the ToC links to each book and the chapters within the book in a consistent manner. And with few pages between the books which don't have text. I understand a title page, dedications page, and maybe one or two others but we don't need the copyright page, ToC, etc. per book.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@ MGlitch you mean: "Done as an omnibus in contrary to simply 'sticking' the single volumes cover to cover behind each other. Of course +1 to that.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
@ MGlitch you mean: "Done as an omnibus in contrary to simply 'sticking' the single volumes cover to cover behind each other. Of course +1 to that.
Yes, though I have seen Omnibus editions with a lacking ToC which were otherwise fine, i.e. they didn't use epub merge (or a variation of it) to just slap the ebooks together. And while it was eventually corrected it was frustrating to see. Especially given the generally limited view we get pre-purchase of ebooks.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Boxed sets: Only if I do not own any singles contained AND they are not 'Monster sized'. Poor old reader really wheezes on multi-Meg books.

I would rather have a 'Bundle' of individual books (A true boxed set) at a discounted price, rather than a Monster sized Book

Omnibus: It might make production sense from a PRINT run standpoint, but the economics are really not there in e-book (Format for e-book, Split, Ship)

<rant>
Boxed sets/ Omnibus (same series) with inconsistent visual formatting between 'books' is just laziness.
</rant
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I like them as long as they work well (TOC) and the file isn't too large to access easily.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There has been a thread about this before...

...and this is my reply to it.

In short, I don't like omnibuses. I buy them, but I either split them up when they're not too many books (most of them), or I extract the book I'm going to read (Delphi Classics).

By the way, in that thread I said:

Quote:
I think that the size of the books is a matter of pride for Delphi. As they are all public domain works, and they all have no DRM and are all downloaded through the Delphi website, there is NO reason to sell an omnibus that's 20.000 pages in size. They could just as well sell a zip-file.
They actually started doing that with their Parts Editions, but those are more expensive than the omnibus versions.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-21-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Anyone prefer omnibus/box set books?

I'll sometimes combine them, if I have a complete set and if I can find an omnibus cover.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Why not, if they're cheaper than the constituents bought separately?

Some omnibuses I've split because I've already got other books in the series as individual books, and it doesn't look good to have a few clumped together in one file in between.

Some omnibuses are complete in themselves (Sherlock Holmes, for instance), and those I keep as omnibuses.

I don't think I've ever merged books into an omnibus before. It might be an instructive experience to do it if any books in my library require the treatment.

Psychologically, I like them separate, tbh. It feels a greater achievement to finish reading three books, instead of finishing one really long one.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 05-21-2016 at 03:33 PM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I don't think I've ever merged books into an omnibus before. It might be an instructive experience to do it if any books in my library require the treatment.
I did this with the short stories of Arthur Machen. I downloaded those from Feedbooks.com, but because there were so many, I merged them into an omnibus, removed the non-needed parts, added a TOC per story, and gave it its own cover.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I like them if they are on sale. I do split them up because I want to know how far I'm into a book. You can't do that with a box set. If using Time Left to read it would be quite confusing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'll buy them, but won't read them as bought, I'll split them before reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I like them if they are on sale. I do split them up because I want to know how far I'm into a book. You can't do that with a box set. If using Time Left to read it would be quite confusing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'll buy them, but won't read them as bought, I'll split them before reading.
Me three.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If it's a collection of books that I expect to enjoy, and it's cheaper than buying them individually, then I'll buy the omnibus/box set..
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote