Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 AM   #1
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Page Numbers in Nook & Kobo vs Kindle

Greetings. I started e-reading with the Sony PRS-350 Reader Pocket Edition (5" screen) which served me well for many years. A few months back I bought my first Kindle, the basic version, and am somewhat disappointed. I bought a Kindle as my reading habits run more to the niche market that Amazon caters to and Kobo does not. I thought it would be nice to not be converting and side-loading everything for a change, and the Kindle does have some features I thought I would enjoy and I do. I have one major frustration however. The Sony Reader gave you page numbers for every single book, small press or not, converted or not. I really don't like reading without some idea where I am in a book. Location 627 or 19% doesn't really cut it for me. Kindle does give you page numbers for mainstream books, but several of the last ones I've purchased have been without. Amazon say it's up to the publisher whether to include page numbers or not, but how did Sony figure out how to include page numbers on all books all those years ago and the developers at Amazon still haven't? So...my question is, do Nook or Kobo behave like the Kindle (some books have page numbers, some don't) or like the Sony? I haven't been on the forum for a while and just read about the Nook Glow 3 which definitely has me intrigued (Night Mode very appealing). I also just saw an article on a google search from 2013 where you could download apps for Kindle and Playstore on the Nook, but then saw something that contradicts that. Gosh that would be great. Do the new Nooks allow that? At any rate, if anyone can enlighten me on the Nook & Kobo page numbering issue, that would be swell. Many thanks!
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I don't know about Nook but Kobo behaves as Sony as both of them relies on the same support (Adobe reader) and the page number is not something manually added but calculated.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would also note that if you send a book to the Kindle using Calibre, it will always have (again, calculated) page numbers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As I understand it, the Kindle "true" numbers that you are talking about reflect the actual pages in a particular edition of the paper version of the book.
Kobo, Nook, Sony, Adobe Digital Editions are using "artificial" pages calculated on a certain number of characters equaling one "page" (# of pages is independent of font size, margins etc) OR (at least in the case of Kobo's own book format) the number of "screens" of text at the current font size/margin/line spacing settings (so if you increase the font size the total number of pages will go up). Since it sounds like you just want the relative position in the book for your own information any of these should work (if you're trying to share a specific page with someone else it gets more complicated).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As I understand it, the Kindle "true" numbers that you are talking about reflect the actual pages in a particular edition of the paper version of the book.
That's correct. They are in a separate ".apnx" file which is present for some books you download from Amazon, but not for others. It's up to the publisher to provide it. If you send books to the Kindle using Calibre, the Kindle driver in Calibre generates a ".apnx" file using calculations similar to those used by ADE-based readers.

Quote:
Kobo, Nook, Sony, Adobe Digital Editions are using "artificial" pages calculated on a certain number of characters equaling one "page" (# of pages is independent of font size, margins etc) OR (at least in the case of Kobo's own book format) the number of "screens" of text at the current font size/margin/line spacing settings (so if you increase the font size the total number of pages will go up). Since it sounds like you just want the relative position in the book for your own information any of these should work (if you're trying to share a specific page with someone else it gets more complicated).
Yep.
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's worth getting used to using locations and percentages as they're really a lot more relevant in ebooks. Like you I found them confusing and unintuitive at first but once I learned what they were and got used to them they became more meaningful than page numbers.

As I recall a location is 128 character spaces in the book, including invisible characters for formatting. The advantage of that is that it remains constant regardless of font size or margins. You can use that to go right where you want to go, where page numbers get you fairly close.

When I begin a book I'll usually make a mental note of how many locations are in it. On the Kindle you'll find that with the Goto button. From then on I pretty much know where I am if I want to.

Actually i go more by percentages these days but I have the bottom of the page show time left in chapter so I don't normall see either while I'm in the book. I don't really care that much anyway.

I think the best handling of this is in the Moon+ app on Android. They have a number at the bottom like (7/9) meaning you're on screen 7 of the 9 screens in the chapter. If you change the font size those numbers also change but since you see both you kind of know where you are in the chapter. Then off to the right there's the percentage of the way through the book. I wish all readers did it like this.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I dislike that about my Kindle also. Can't get used to it at all. Between that and no page turn buttons, I don't understand how anyone prefers Kindles.

I've never had an ereader that doesn't show page numbers. All my Sonys do, my Nooks, and my lone Kobo. It's only the Kindle that doesn't have it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I dislike that about my Kindle also. Can't get used to it at all. Between that and no page turn buttons, I don't understand how anyone prefers Kindles.
Well, I'm with you on this, but I still prefer Kindles. I just prefer the models with buttons - Voyage and Oasis. As for page numbers, I sideload all my books from Calibre and the main reason for this is to get page numbers on my Kindles. I just couldn't get used to locations. But Calibre-generated numbers are perfect for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I'm curious as to why you consider ADE's computed page numbers to be superior to the Kindle's equally computed positions. Both are a construct, and bear no relation to the printed page.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Page numbers are something I understand. Read a paper book, and there are page numbers. If I read an e-book, I want to see that same thing. It has much more meaning to me than location which is useless. I'd turn that off if I could. Luckily, I have many other ereaders to choose from that give me what I want.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

ADE page numbers and Kindle locations are both numbers which show your position in a book. Neither has any connection with actual "pages".

The overwhelming majority of Amazon's books do have page numbers (which do correspond to pages in a printed book). If you send books to your Kindle using Calibre, every book will have (fake) page numbers.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you read an ePub eBook on a nook and you read the same ePub on a Kobo, you will have the exact same page numbers as they both use ADE page numbers. If you read an ePub converted to kepub (via Kobo's store or a Calibre plugin) then you don't get page numbers that make the nook at all.

Kindle page numbers do not match Kobo or nook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Thank you so much for the help! Delighted to see that working through Calibre absolutely does the trick. Correct, "artificial" page numbers are just fine as I'm not in a classroom or book club situation. While I realize for most readers the majority of Amazon's books will come with page numbers, the last five I've purchased did not, hence the frustration. Though I currently share Hemmi's feelings, Barryem and HarryT -- interesting perspectives.
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The Sony page numbers seem to be only approximate anyway - typically the numbers at the bottom of one page will read something like "page 97-98 of 300", then the next one is "page 98-99". I have occasionally seen a book where one page would be 97-98, the next would be 98, and the next 98-99.

I would be OK with having a percentage instead of a page number if the percentage were based on the actual book and not the book plus any excerpts, etc. that follow The Overdrive app, which I use occasionally, just shows a "book progress" percentage based on everything so I don't know how much is left in the actual story. At least with the Sony page numbering system I can look at the table of contents to see what page the book ends and subsequent stuff begins, so I have some idea what is left in the story itself.

Last edited by 4691mls; 11-19-2017 at 05:18 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IIf you read an ePub converted to kepub (via Kobo's store or a Calibre plugin) then you don't get page numbers that make the nook at all.
This is incorrect--if you convert ePubs to kepubs via Calibre, the resulting kepub will still have ADE page numbers. If you set the Kobo to display page numbers for the entire book, it will display ADE page numbers. If you have it set to display page numbers for the current chapter, it will display "screen counts" which change when font size, margins, and line spacing changes. I personally haven't bought any kePubs from Kobo, but I'm betting this is how they work as well.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote