Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Beta Firmware 4.6.9995

https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Caution!Still beta version,may contain bugs

Last edited by evirtue; 10-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
Presumably this is a performance fix for the pulled version. Will be interested to see how it goes.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by evirtue View Post
https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Caution!Still beta version,may contain bugs
Why do you think this is a beta version? If it is, it would be the first time that Kobo had released a beta to the public. Based on the affiliates that site shows it has been released to, it is just the normal release to limited affiliates and then expand to others over time.

In any case, I am pretty sure this is the release with the performance update. I'm trying to find out some information about it at the moment. Kobo had released an update to the beta group that fixed. I have seen no issue with it, and I'm tempted to say that it is faster than previous releases. But, that might just be a perception issue after using the 4.6.9960 for a few days.

The release notes show four differences to 4.6.9960 in the "Issues we’ve resolved" section. These are:
  • Improved performance, memory, and stability.
  • The screen flashed twice when saving a highlight in an EPUB.
  • Renewed OverDrive books would sometimes show as expired.
  • OverDrive search results did not always sort correctly.

The first is probably referring to the performance issues with 4.6.9960. The second was actually in 4.6.9960.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
evirtue
evirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it isevirtue knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura One-Kobo Glo HD
The reason why i noted as beta is I experienced some recurring slow downs when moving towards menus
evirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.6.9995

Kobo firmware 4.6.9995 has been released. As of October 13, 2017, it has been released to the devices: Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura Edition 2. It has not been released to the: Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, rakutenbooks, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try these generic links at your own risk:
Generated by Kobo Firmware Download Links by Patrick G. Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm tempted to say that it is faster than previous releases. But, that might just be a perception issue after using the 4.6.9960 for a few days.
Just finished upgrading my H2O, and first impression is positive.

It is definately faster than 4.6.9960, and it is also faster than 4.5.9587, at least in the area that bothered me most.To be clear, when i finished a comicbook it took 15+ seconds on 4.6.9960 to get me to home screen after the last page press, and about 7+ seconds on 4.5.9587. With this one its about 3+ seconds.
Waking from sleep if no book is opened is also fixed and its without delay.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Just installed on my H2O2 and it looks good to me. I didn't really care about the slow performance in the last version but it's definitely snappier now.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by evirtue View Post
The reason why i noted as beta is I experienced some recurring slow downs when moving towards menus
If you saw problems, you should have stated them. But, contrary to what some people like to say, Kobo do not release anything to their general users as beta software.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #9
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Back to normal speed for me!

I also like the large print feature, so thanks to the person who brought that up in a previous thread.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I sideloaded to my Glo, all working well. Same as 4.6.9960 but faster.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #11
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo Firmware 4.6.9995Download Links
Hi Guys, just a request please for people like me with a bad memory. Could you please include this link (or something similar if there are better sources) as well with firmware links please.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...81&postcount=3

I have to search for this every time unfortunately. The perils of old age.

Glen
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenk View Post
Hi Guys, just a request please for people like me with a bad memory. Could you please include this link (or something similar if there are better sources) as well with firmware links please.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...81&postcount=3

I have to search for this every time unfortunately. The perils of old age.

Glen
See Kobo Firmware Releases, The thread is a sticky in Kobo Developer's Corner sub-forums.

It have the install firmware guide you post, all the firmware links, discussion threads, patching instruction threads...
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:33 AM   #13
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thanks for the information.
On my H2O the new firmware looks good, too. I didn't have the performance problems, like some other users, but the actions (call up books, call up collections, from the book to the start page, etc.) go faster.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To install the firmware...

1. Plug your device into the USB port of the computer
2. Unzip the contents of the firmware ZIP file into the .kobo directory of your device
3. Eject the device from the computer and it will start to install the firmware

That's all there is to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #15
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Happy to say that everything is back to normal with my Glo HD
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote