Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I installed it and it looks good.

The font size slider now has 14 choices, there were 8 previously. Much better for picking a size that I like. Before I had to choose between a little to small or a little to large.

The boldness slider with 5 settings works well also.

Added: One thing I noticed is that Bookerly at a given size setting appears to render significantly smaller for books in KF8 format than for KFX format. I will need to do more testing of this.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-12-2017 at 09:40 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #17
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
the new update is now available! :-)
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Interesting. I tried the other ones, and they are all still on 5.5.10. Maybe they are in the process up updating them now.
I stand corrected (forgot to change the actual link address to the new version number ) Updating now.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
jstm
jstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enoughjstm will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle paperwhite 2014, IPAD, IPAD Mini, Iphone 6
Hello
Did the Jailbreak Survive??
jstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
- - - -
I haven't tried links for other Kindle models.
I have:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291179

Thanks for the idea.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #21
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Wow! This is the biggest update improvement I have seen in a long, long time. The new font size and boldness selectors look a lot like what Kobo has done for years. There are 14 size selections and 6 boldness selection (if you include 0). Don't know what took them so long, but I am tremendously happy they finally did it. I had been using font size 4, and now can comfortably go down to 3 by increasing the boldness up to 2 from zero. Feels almost like I have a brand new reader. Thanks Amazon!
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Interesting. I tried the other ones, and they are all still on 5.5.10. Maybe they are in the process up updating them now.
I don't know how or where you checked:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291179
because they have been up for a week now.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
In Settings, Device Options, the Update Your Kindle tab is greyed out. Is this the normal setting? Don't usually check--but have been doing so obsessively after learning about the latest update. And I can't recall if Update Your Kindle being greyed out is status quo?
The link is for PW2 and your information box says you have a PW3.

So a grayed out update button is correct, they packages are "Model Locked".
The package does not match your device model.
See my post in the dev sub-forum here.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's up on amazon.co.uk now, just uploading to my Voyage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
It's up on amazon.co.uk now, just uploading to my Voyage.

It is up world wide.
Amazon quit using regional distribution about the same time as they introduced the PW3-32.

Maybe you have been blinded by the advertisement you include in every post.
How much do you get paid for every time you post that advertisement somewhere?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
In Settings, Device Options, the Update Your Kindle tab is greyed out. Is this the normal setting? Don't usually check--but have been doing so obsessively after learning about the latest update. And I can't recall if Update Your Kindle being greyed out is status quo?
Link for PW3... https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...ite_5.8.11.bin You just have to side load the firmware and then you can select Update your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #27
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
goodereader about 5.8.11 update: "If you love reading e-books there is more font sizes than ever before—and five levels of boldness—for whichever font you choose to read with. In addition to the Opendyslexic font, Amazon has just added a new feature to invert black and white on the display, which is useful if you have light sensitivity. Finally there is a new Ragged Right Alignment feature that allows you to read using left-aligned (ragged right) text."
I just updated the Kindle Voyage to 5.8.11 but I don't see black invert.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #28
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is up world wide.
Amazon quit using regional distribution about the same time as they introduced the PW3-32.

Maybe you have been blinded by the advertisement you include in every post.
How much do you get paid for every time you post that advertisement somewhere?
If your slightly unpleasant comment is aimed at me, I'm afraid I've no idea what you're taking about.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Received by a lot of things on my Linux desktop system.

Yes, I mean you.
It is poor form to include advertisements with every post.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #30
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
I just updated the Kindle Voyage to 5.8.11 but I don't see black invert.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk
I don't see that or the options to change fonts in the menus either (not that I am that bothered about those, though).

Tags
font_ramp