Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
cheflo
Enthusiast
cheflo began at the beginning.

Device: none
How is the PocketBook 626 Touch Lux 3 when it comes to reading scientific PDFs?

Does anyone have any experience with the PocketBook 626 Touch Lux 3 when it comes to reading scientific PDFs?

I am looking for a device that is great for reading ebooks, and preferably also decent for reading and performing rudimentary annotation on scientific PDFs (2-3 columns, some figures). I am currently choosing between the Touch Lux 3 and the Kindle Paperwhite3 (a tablet is not an option for me due to eye strain).

The pocketbook is 30 CAD more expensive than the Kindle, for slightly worse screen resolution and slower processor. But pocketbook seems to have great PDF features based on this video. Hardware buttons, and support for all ebook formats are also advantages to me.
cheflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
If the decision is between the Kindle and the Pocketbook, you can't go wrong with the PB. Kindle is terrible in handling PDF, PB has great features like reflow. You might consider getting the new PB Touch HD with more RAM and thus faster PDF handling.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
cheflo
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply LucyOne! Have you tried reading a multicolum pdf with images on the pocketbook? If I have reached the end of the first column, will the device usually find the right starting point in the second column? Even if there are images or tables on top? This has been my biggest problem when trying my friend's kindle, I think the kindle is good for reading one column, but it is difficult to get to the next one, especially if there is some other element on the page apart from the two columns.

I also saw that someone mentioned that pocketbook is really slow in annotating PDFs with notes and highlights. Is this true in your experience, or is it pretty much as fast as with the kindle?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
cheflo
Enthusiast

And do you happen to know any places selling the Pocketbooks? I live in Toronto, Canada, and the cheapest I have found online is 175 CAD (~120EUR) for the Touch Lux 3 and 270 CAD (~190 EUR) for the Touch HD (shipping is really expensive for this one...).
Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think there is any 6" reader that is good for reading scientific two-column PDFs. You can do it, but it's no fun. You also brought up annotating. PocketBook devices allow you to annotate the PDFs, but it is in a proprietary format that isn't really portable to any other program out there. The annotations are designed to only be read on the device. So, you either need a larger ereader to read those PDFs, or use the 6" model for reading fiction and get a tablet for the papers.

P.S. I used to buy my PocketBook devices through a French webstore (Canada is considered to be in the Francophone region), and the shipping prices were reasonable. But the one French store left now (maliseuse.com) seems to be down for maintenance, and I don't know if you can buy ereaders there anymore. As you say, buying from other European shops can mean very high shipping costs.

Last edited by rkomar; 03-23-2017 at 12:07 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
I agree to both of the previous writers. LucyOne is right the pdf performance of Pocketbooks is better than that of the kindle variety. But as rkomar states it is not very delightful to read the pdf's you mentioned on a 6" device. Even on some Android ereaders which offer some more comfortable apps to read pdf's it is still not very easy on the eye (fllackering, slow page turning, screen too small).
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
cheflo
Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice everyone!
I tried a scientific PDF on my friend's Kindle Paperwhite3 and I think the 6 inch screen will not be a problem for me. Of course, it is difficult to view very complex figures and color images, but this is what I expected, and I primarily care about reading the text and viewing standard graphs/plots.

As long as the device does a good job following along the columns as I press next page, I think I will be happy with it. This was the only part I found annoying on the kindle, it would change the zoom level when switching columns if there was an image, table, or some differently formatted text above the columns on the page. If the Pocketbook handles this, I think it will be great for my needs!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a problem, sometimes it will, often not.
This depends very much on the pdf and how it is created.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
cheflo
Enthusiast

That's unfortunate. Thanks for letting me know.

I previously heard a reviewer mention that the Pocketbook software is slower than Kindle and Kobo when it comes to reading PDFs. Is this something you have noticed? In their test they used a 100 MB PDF, which is much bigger than my typical uses (~0.5-3 MB, occasionally ~10-15 MB).
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru

Since you don't have a store nearby to check it, I offer you to videotest a pdf you provide. Just provide 2 (one normal and one of extreme proportions) and PM me a link to them.
I only have the PB 626 which is supposed to be a little slower than the PB631.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
cheflo
Enthusiast

Thank you! I just sent you a PM.

For reference, if anyone else is interested, I sent these two open access articles for testing:

1. A pretty standard pdf in my field, ~300 kb. http://msb.embopress.org/content/msb/5/1/326.full.pdf

2. A more complex article, some tables, and lots of small elements (even takes a while to load on my computer), ~10mb. http://msb.embopress.org/content/6/1/415.full.pdf
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
nhedgehog
Guru

I did the tests and the pocketbook looked better than expected in it. I have to convert the videos before giving links to them.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You might consider an Onyx or a Boyue. Both are available on banggood. They Android OS readers which means you will have access to a lot of different PDF reading apps.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
cheflo
Enthusiast

Exciting!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
nhedgehog
Guru

PDF performance on PB 626

As requested:

Big size 17MB test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVQwWq5nbg

Small size (250KB)test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtCg2zG8Dnk

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-24-2017 at 01:30 AM.