Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
hrashk
hrashk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Azbooka, PocketBook 301 Plus
Gargoyle, an interactive fiction player, is ported to Open Inkpot

Greetings everyone,

I've been working on porting Gargoyle – a popular open source interactive fiction player – to Open Inkpot during the past couple of months. I'd appreciate if you could help me with beta testing. The port works on Hanvon n516 and its clones (with MIPS CPU architecture), e.g. Azbooka. The screenshots attached give an idea of how it looks like. Let me know if you're running Open Inkpot on other types of devices (with ARM CPU architecture), I'll try to build a corresponding package.

Here is how to install it. Grab the package from here. Make sure your device is running a recent version of Open Inkpot firmware (see here for details). Connect the device to your desktop computer, following the instructions here. You need to press the Zoom key on n516/Azbooka devices after connecting the USB cable. Copy the package to the device using, for instance, the following command on Ubuntu desktop:

[ubuntu-shell]# scp gargoyle-mipsel-2011-1.deb root@192.168.111.1:/tmp

Login in to your device as described here and run the following commands:

[open-inkpot-shell]# fc-cache -f
[open-inkpot-shell]# dpkg –i /tmp/gargoyle-mipsel-2011-1.deb

fc-cache will take a couple of minutes to finish. Then restart the device for its file manager to pick up new file associations. After that you can copy IF files to your device and launch them from the Library as an ordinary book. Make sure you read the Help after launching a game for the first time to get familiarized with controls. Press the 0 button after starting a game to get to the help screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garplay.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	70407   Click image for larger version

Name:	garhelp.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	70408  
Old 04-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
hrashk

further info

If you've never heard of interactive fiction before, then I suggest quickly skimming through the beginner's guide and then playing a couple of classic games of the text adventure genre. And don't forget the cheat sheet

If you get around to playing a game, then I'd appreciate if you could provide your feedback on the following topics. It would help me to fine- tune the software.

1. Is the font size alright?
2. Currently only lower-case English letters can be entered which is enough for most games. However, there are many games in other languages. Is i18n needed?
3. I really only thoroughly tested games written for Glulx and Z-machine interpreters, whereas Gargoyle supports a handful of them. If you happen to play any of them, then let me know how it went.

You can raise bugs either in this thread or in the Gargoyle bug tracker.
Advert
Old 04-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Cool! I like it.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I wish this was for Kindle (along with Open Inkpot)!

Gargoyle is great...I use all sorts of interpreters from Adrift to Winfrotz, but Gargoyle is always useful!

Good luck with your project, I wish I could participate.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
hrashk

Frankly speaking, the thought to port Gargoyle to Kindle crossed my mind several times while working on the OI port. However, there was no (stable) SDK at the time (and I think there still isn't). Besides, it's Java whereas Gargoyle is plain old C. I could get away with proper OI port and keep the Gargoyle code base virtually intact due to its clear design. But if you migrate the code to Java, you can forget about getting improvements and bug fixes from the main Gargoyle supporters.
If you have ideas how to graft a C library into a Kindle application, e.g. with some JNI magic, then porting to Kindle may be possible. I would even be willing to help you out and get my hands dirty with that :-)
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ah yes IF. It was all the rage back before computer graphics tech. took off. There are a lot of great old IF games out there on the web.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah yes IF. It was all the rage back before computer graphics tech. took off. There are a lot of great old IF games out there on the web.
And tons of new ones! IF is thriving.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, I love IF. The online community has created a large body of much more approachable gems than the old "more bang for your buck" games. I'm not one of those who just want puzzleless IF, but I'd say puzzles are much better integrated and paced into the plot than those from old days, aside from a few classics.

Haven't played much these days, though. Mostly just reading centuries old static fiction...