Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #196
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I'm with the happy campers. Only updated on Saturday, because before I didn't have the patience to configure the patches - it's noticeably faster, and I like the direct "buttons" to get to reading settings and TOC.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What version RMDSK is this firmware using?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #198
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've been running 4.6.9995 for some time, and don't see any problems.

Then again, I don't use anything on the KA1 apart from the ability to open a book and read it... With some help of the users here, I fixed the full screen mode with some CSS (kobo_extra.css) a long time ago, and it still works.

The only problem I have is the KA1 not always powering down when the (original!) cover is closed. Sometimes, I open the reader and then suddenly I've been reading a book for 14 hours straight. Apparently. The Kindle Papwerhite 1 never did that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #199
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What version RMDSK is this firmware using?
RMSDK10. I haven't noticed any change since firmware 3.15.0, when the hyphenation bug was fixed.

Edit: If you're wondering about the different librmsdk.so file sizes in recent versions, I think that is just a result of Kobo using a different compiler.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #200
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The search function has some problems in this version:

* it seems to have become case sensitive for non-ascii characters, so searching for åk matches Håkan Nesser, but no longer matches Åke Edwardson.

* it doesn't match an ordinary space to other whitespace characters like it did before, e.g. an author name containing a hard space won't be matched by the search term containing an ordinary space.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #201
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I haven't done any time trials, but anecdotally speaking the PDF performance seems to be better. Page flipping isn't as fast as epub, but it's not taking 10+ seconds any more.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
RMSDK10. I haven't noticed any change since firmware 3.15.0, when the hyphenation bug was fixed.

Edit: If you're wondering about the different librmsdk.so file sizes in recent versions, I think that is just a result of Kobo using a different compiler.
Thanks. So how ePub 3 compatible is RMSDK 10?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #203
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. So how ePub 3 compatible is RMSDK 10?
As far as I can tell, ePub 3 support was added to RMSDK 11.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
As far as I can tell, ePub 3 support was added to RMSDK 11.
As far as I can tell, no Reader uses RMSDK 11. That sucks.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #205
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I am under the impression that RMSDK 11 uses readium for its rendering anyway.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #206
diahr
diahr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How to make my reading status show up in homescreen like old version?
diahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #207
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Not important, just an observation about the wake/sleep function

I just updated to 4.6.10075 so none of this really matters, I guess, but...

When I got my H2O, I ordered the wake/sleep cover along with it. I did not really like that cover though, I did not think it offered enough protection for my drop prone hands. So I bought a new cover from another company. They, however, had placed the wake/sleep trigger magnet in the wrong location and this feature would not work on the H2O so I turned that feature off in settings and just used the button on the top edge of the reader.

After two years of constant use, that cover fell apart so I started using the Kobo cover.

When I tried upgrading to this 4.6.9995 I experienced several problems that no one else seemed to have. I would go back to 3.19.5761 and the problems would go away.

A couple of days ago I tried a clean install of 4.6.9995 after a factory reset and using the Kobo desktop software. I set all the settings the way I like them, including turning off the automatic wake sleep feature. Everything seemed okay at first but then things started acting up again.

I then noticed that, when I opened the Kobo wake/sleep cover, the screen of the H2O would either flicker, go black, or show a generic looking book cover of my current read before showing the actual cover. It would not wake, but it would react. And when I pressed the button to wake the reader afterwards, it would awake but would sometimes be frozen.

My hasty and totally uninformed conclusion is that 4.6.9995 is affected by the closing and opening of the Kobo wake/sleep cover even if that feature is turned off in settings.

I turned this feature on and did not have any problems for the rest of the day. Not a very sound test period because the reader would often last a day before the freezing problems would show up, and, like I said, I have just updated to the newest firmware so I will see what happens.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #208
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've also noticed that when the kobo is asleep, pushing the button doesn't always wake it up correctly if the sleep cover would have it asleep. I disabled sleep cover because the kobo cover tends to put my kobo asleep when I fold the cover all the way back.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #209
supaevensteven
supaevensteven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One Screen Alignment Issue

Installed 4.6.9995 OTA and it's misaligned the screen rendering on my Kobo Aura One.

The issue goes away when I factory reset to 4.1.7729.

I've performed the update several times and the issue appears back again every time.

I've also tried restarting the device and that's done nothing also.

I've attached before and after pictures to show what I mean. The left side shows a line of pixels not rendering when full screen backgrounds/borders are drawn.

Has anyone else experienced this or know a tweak to some config file I can make to correct this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_Update-Connected_NO_Line_Issue.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	160276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_Update-Settings_NO_Line_Issue.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	160277   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Update-Connected_Line_Issue_Present.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	160278   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Update-Settings_Line_Issue_Present.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	160279   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Update-Cover_Line_Issue_Present.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	160280  
supaevensteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #210
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
@supaevensteven: Yes, I thought I was insane! At first, I had trouble seeing what was wrong with the book I was reading but it annoyed me very much. Then, I saw the cover page with the line and presumed that it was simply a bug in the cover.

I haven't got a clue on how it can be fixed. It would be a shame to have to revert from this version, everything else works fine...
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote