Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am another who found it deplorable. It's an awful book. Don't read it. You'll hate it and you'll hate the fact that you could have read some good books instead.
I don't think running another user's recommendation in to the ground is cricket. I have no interest in Battlefield Earth based on my previous experiences with Hubbard's writing. But maybe try to throttle back some?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #17
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been very sick with a cold and finally feel like reading again.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am another who found it deplorable. It's an awful book. Don't read it. You'll hate it and you'll hate the fact that you could have read some good books instead.
I read the book way back in high school. I liked it. Each to their own I guess.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #19
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

well over a 1000 pages.

I know most hate this book but I like it myself and have read it at least 3 times.

The movie, starring Travolta, has been considered by many as the worst movie ever made.
The movie was true shocker.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I'm looking for big chunkster fantasy or scifi stand alone recommendations.

Fantasy

The Worm Ouroboros - E.R. Eddison
Gormenghast series [Trilogy] - Mervyn Peake
The Well at the World's End - William Morris
The Well of the Unicorn - Fletcher Pratt
Silverlock - John Myers Myers
Earth Abides - George R. Stewart [This one is not that 'fat'; more sci-fi]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

well over a 1000 pages.

I know most hate this book but I like it myself and have read it at least 3 times.

The movie, starring Travolta, has been considered by many as the worst movie ever made.
I'm not know if most people like or dislike the book, but I think there is a vocal minority who have to express there dislike of the book every time it is mentioned.

I read it (a long time ago) and I liked it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not know if most people like or dislike the book, but I think there is a vocal minority who have to express there dislike of the book every time it is mentioned.

Maybe they know what he was doing after he stopped writing.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
The movie was true shocker.
It's one of those books (like Dune) where a good movie is going to be very difficult to make.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-23-2020 at 12:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Taking an eclectic and somewhat obscure tack, here:

The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Wanderers by Chuck Wendig
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
The Copper Promise by Jen Williams
Once A Hero by Michael A. Stackpole
The Wreck of The River of Stars by Michael Flynn
The City & the City by China Miéville

My take on "big and chunky" might not always equate directly to page count, either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think running another user's recommendation in to the ground is cricket. I have no interest in Battlefield Earth based on my previous experiences with Hubbard's writing. But maybe try to throttle back some?
It has its place when it’s a rational review with reasons for one’s negative opinion. Serious commentary is always useful in assessing whether or not a book is for you and shouldn’t be taken personally. However, saying “It’s an awful book” advances understanding not at all, and you can’t say “You’ll hate it” unless you’re closely familiar with an individual’s tastes. In any case, it’s good to recognize that because a book isn’t to your tastes means neither that it’s to no one’s tastes nor that it’s objectively awful.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the major problems with Battlefield Earth is that is could have ended in a number of places and after the first place where it could have ended, it then felt like Hubbard was writing more just for the same of writing more. It was very wordy. The story went too long and really dragged. It would have been tolerable if it had ended a lot sooner then it did.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
One of the major problems with Battlefield Earth is that is could have ended in a number of places and after the first place where it could have ended, it then felt like Hubbard was writing more just for the same of writing more. It was very wordy. The story went too long and really dragged. It would have been tolerable if it had ended a lot sooner then it did.

I'm reminded of that story by Fredric Brown where a man stranded on an island spent years writing a poem that he constantly revised while waiting to be rescued, and finally ended up with a poem consisting of one word when he was finally rescued. The word started with an 'F'.

Perhaps Hubbard's book would have been a better story if he, too, had written a novel with only one word.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #28
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Is the word you're referring to generally referred to as "the f word"?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Is the word you're referring to generally referred to as "the f word"?
I just assume it was "Found".
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm reminded of that story by Fredric Brown where a man stranded on an island spent years writing a poem that he constantly revised while waiting to be rescued, and finally ended up with a poem consisting of one word when he was finally rescued. The word started with an 'F'.

Perhaps Hubbard's book would have been a better story if he, too, had written a novel with only one word.
If Battlefield Earth was just one word, I would give it 5-stars on Goodreads and highly recommend it on MR.