Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #76
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
So nobody knows anything till the new models are on the shelves? Are they that good at keeping things secret?
Amazon are very good at keeping things secret. Things might leak a day or two before any launch simply because the number of people who have to be told about it increases a lot at that point.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #77
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon are very good at keeping things secret. Things might leak a day or two before any launch simply because the number of people who have to be told about it increases a lot at that point.
Perhaps, but I think eReader technology is only of marginal interest among technology enthusiasts, much less the general population (apart from people on this forum, of course). If there were a leak, it would barely cause a ripple.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #78
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I don't see Amazon [...] introducing larger sizes. These are things that you want, but doesn't recognize how ereaders for the past eight years have been nothing but incremental improvements.
Some 'dreams' are more plausible than others. To me, your assertion does not tally with the fact that Kobo has introduced increasingly large screen sizes in their flagship devices since 2014 until peaking in 2018. Amazon followed Kobo's lead in introducing a larger screen, waterproofing, and adjustable lighting; Kobo joined Amazon in implementing page-turn buttons and asymmetric design. This competitive behaviour between these two companies suggests that they are both vying for the same customer base, thereby supporting the idea that Amazon will feel some pressure to produce a larger-screened device.

I agree with you that Amazon seems unlikely to produce an 8" device, but I wouldn't be too surprised to be wrong about that, either. It doesn't seem warranted to call a larger device the prediction of a 'dreamer', unless you can demonstrate the crucial difference between Amazon and Kobo in this respect.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #79
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Well the thread is called "Kindle 11th Gen: Rumours, Speculation, and Discussion": until now there are no rumors about a larger screen Kindle device but we are free to make speculation and discussion.

The Amazon gamma lacks of a device larger than the 7" screen of Oasis: almost all competitors have it. Of course they have other advantages over all of them, also compared with Kobo that is likely the second ebook and ereder vendor in the world so it is not indispensable to have it for them. But may be that at the end Amazon will produce a modern Kindle DX or, more likely, a 8" screen device.

And we can speculate also about colors: may be that they will wait to see if there is really a market for it, if the product can be good or not ecc. But I think that if people will desire a color ereader they will produce it.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #80
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps you should check your history. The first Nook I saw had an eInk screen and a colour LCD screen for controls and advertising.

And please don't try to revisit the ereader wars. Too many electrons have already died in those battles. eInk, LCD, RLCD, Mirasol, whatever. If it's main purpose to allow you to read books, it's an ereader.
I didn't know that such a device ever existed: I should try to read with it but if I can judge from photo the LCD screen is very fastidious.

Last edited by ps67; 08-03-2020 at 06:13 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #81
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There was even a clone of the Nook 1, the Alex: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Alex

I don’t think it shipped.

I’m warming up to the idea of the Kaleido screen for some future Kindle. If it didn’t cost much more than Paperwhite and text clarity remained reasonably good, I could learn to appreciate the color, muted though it might be.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #82
wj18
wj18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 11th with hifi speakers
Kindle Oasis 11th innovation

There is plenty of space for innovation in Oasis, what I would like to see in the next model are a pair of Hi-Fi speakers so that I can listen to an Audible book in a foreign language, a human voice - not a robot- and read the e-book at the same time, without the need for bluetooth earphones.
wj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #83
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
HiFi speakers need a big box each and a minimum of 6" drivers. Just use a $6 BT receiver with a 3.5mm jack socket patched to the HiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote