Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
knadles
knadles began at the beginning.

Device: all
Odd Sigil behavior = <span style="font-size: 0.9em;">???

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched the forum and elsewhere on the net and didn't find an answer. I've been using Sigil for a few months now on a couple of different platforms (Win and Mac). Trying to set up a work flow for converting our paper magazine into ePub format.

I've noticed an odd behavior that I can't believe hasn't driven someone else batty: whenever I highlight a group of items and make a bulleted list by clicking on the list button, Sigil adds the span tag seen in the header above. For example:

<ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 0.9em;">Walla Walla</span><br /></li>

<li><span style="font-size: 0.9em;">Kukamunga</span><br /></li>

</ul>

You may also notice that Sigil is adding a completely unnecessary <br /> tag. Is this normal Sigil behavior? Is there a way to stop this? It happens no matter what computer I'm using, even with a fresh copy of Sigil. Obviously, I can do a find/replace to get rid of this junk, but I don't understand why it's showing up in the first place!

Thanks,
Pete
knadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Probably an unwanted side effect of converting the text to HTML. The reason why you have not seen it before, is probably because most people here work in codeview, not bookview. Most only use bookview to get a grasp on how it probably will look and since the preview window the bookview is hardly used by a lot of users...
I advise to create a bug report at the Sigil site.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knadles View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched the forum and elsewhere on the net and didn't find an answer. I've been using Sigil for a few months now on a couple of different platforms (Win and Mac). Trying to set up a work flow for converting our paper magazine into ePub format.

I've noticed an odd behavior that I can't believe hasn't driven someone else batty: whenever I highlight a group of items and make a bulleted list by clicking on the list button, Sigil adds the span tag seen in the header above. For example:

<ul>
<li><span style="font-size: 0.9em;">Walla Walla</span><br /></li>

<li><span style="font-size: 0.9em;">Kukamunga</span><br /></li>

</ul>

You may also notice that Sigil is adding a completely unnecessary <br /> tag. Is this normal Sigil behavior? Is there a way to stop this? It happens no matter what computer I'm using, even with a fresh copy of Sigil. Obviously, I can do a find/replace to get rid of this junk, but I don't understand why it's showing up in the first place!

Thanks,
Pete
It is a side effect of joining line in BV (Del at the end of a line).
I made a cleanup REGEX.

Better yet, do your joins in CV and it does not happen.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
knadles
knadles began at the beginning.

Device: all
Thanks to you both. I do a lot in code view, but I copy/paste in book view because code view loses all the line breaks, and it's easier to switch back to code view and clean things up with a find/replace than to find and p-tag all the paragraphs back into a 1500-word article.

@theducks I'm not joining any lines, just taking clean text and making a list. It's very clean in code view. I'm kind of anal about clean code. I only make the list in book view because for whatever reason the list buttons grey out in code view.

I'll submit a bug report and hope they take care of it. I do appreciate you both taking a swing at this.

Pete
knadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is beter to import a HTML source than to copy/paste as formatting can/will be lost.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This sort of behavior is seen too if you cut and paste in bookview from one place to another where the text size surrounding it is different. It will obnoxiously change the existing size to the new surrounding size using a span tag. For me it usually shows 30pts as the new size.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
This sort of behavior is seen too if you cut and paste in bookview from one place to another where the text size surrounding it is different. It will obnoxiously change the existing size to the new surrounding size using a span tag. For me it usually shows 30pts as the new size.
I'm learning to work more and more in CV, but sometimes BV is easier, esp. if I'm re-arranging things.

Does Sigil had an Excel-like 'Paste Values' or a Word-like 'Paste Text' option?

If it does, then I can assign a key to it

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I'm learning to work more and more in CV, but sometimes BV is easier, esp. if I'm re-arranging things.

Does Sigil had an Excel-like 'Paste Values' or a Word-like 'Paste Text' option?

If it does, then I can assign a key to it

Paul
Clips is the feature.
Do explore it's varied uses:

There is a simple Paste
and there is what I call: Apply to: eg. surround the selected text in <div> tags

Sample (starter set) clips were supplied. You can tailor those to your taste.
A while back I posted 'My Clips' (as they were then. They (d)evolve over time)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember your clips posting - very helpful

I cannot find the simple Paste, i.e. just the text w/o any formatting that works in BV

So if I wanted to copy the H1 para in BV and paste just the text into the next para HERE, the tags also get pasted. I was wondering if there were a 'format-less' paste.

CV works fine, but BV will often try to 'help' me by maintaining the formatting with a lot of {style = ....} and I end up with the screen shot

Quote:
<body>
<h1>One One One</h1>

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla ac tellus nunc. Phasellus imperdiet leo metus, et gravida lacus. Donec metus ligula, elementum at pellentesque pellentesque, suscipit ac nunc. Etiam lobortis, massa ac aliquam auctor, augue nisl sagittis urna, at dapibus tellus erat ullamcorper ligula. Praesent orci dui, pulvinar id convallis a, faucibus non mauris. Donec tellus augue---- HERE -----, tempus sed facilisis sed, fringilla quis leo. Mauris vulputate, leo ac facilisis vulputate, enim orci interdum augue, in blandit quam turpis quis dui. Morbi dictum luctus velit nec faucibus. Cras vitae tortor purus, ut tincidunt mauris. Sed at velit nisl. Donec eu mauris tortor, interdum condimentum erat. Nam egestas turpis eget nibh laoreet pharetra. Suspendisse a sem eros, ut pulvinar enim. In sed elit eu nulla accumsan tincidunt eget sit amet ipsum. Nullam ut massa rutrum dolor placerat tempor accumsan eget purus.</p>
</body>
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	108466  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I remember your clips posting - very helpful

I cannot find the simple Paste, i.e. just the text w/o any formatting that works in BV

So if I wanted to copy the H1 para in BV and paste just the text into the next para HERE, the tags also get pasted. I was wondering if there were a 'format-less' paste.

CV works fine, but BV will often try to 'help' me by maintaining the formatting with a lot of {style = ....} and I end up with the screen shot

Paul
Technically, you can't have a format less paste.
In Sigil has to be a P or H or possibly a Div.

But it is easy to change in BV or CV

Paste that h# text

Now set the insert point (click) on the line: Ctrl-7 (same as clicking the P button
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
phossler
Wizard

@theducks --

Agreed

In BV your recommendation seems to paste the h# tags, and then the [P] does change to <p> format. Issue is that it leaves the old H# text in a para by itself, (1) in the screen shot. (the Bold-Italic-Underline just a marker)

For this sort of stuff, CV will be my friend

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	259
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	108468  
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theducks --

Agreed

In BV your recommendation seems to paste the h# tags, and then the [P] does change to <p> format. Issue is that it leaves the old H# text in a para by itself, (1) in the screen shot. (the Bold-Italic-Underline just a marker)

For this sort of stuff, CV will be my friend

Paul
any class assigned does not change when switching
<h3 class="foo"
becomes
<p class="foo"

Now if your style sheet was:
h3.foo (
and you only had a:
p {
The foo would be ignored
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
phossler
Wizard

Sorry, I'm not being more clear, but I wasn't refering to class = ....

In the screen shot

1. Copy the "One One One"

2. Select the HERE in the text and Paste (ctrl-v)
(makes another h1 as a seperate para, and 'splits' the text para)

3. Ctrl-7 or [P] on the pasted "One One One" (makes it <p> level)

I was wondering if there was a way to just insert the clip board text at the HERE, without any tags or formatting, so that I'd end up with just the one para, and not 3 (the 2nd screen shot only has the one para)

I probably won't C&P headers (that was only a convient test), but Sigil inserts { style = "font .........} ad hoc formatting to try and emulate the styleing of the source text

CV will work, but sometimes BV can be easier for things like that

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	251
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	108469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	108470  
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Now I see,
And I don't think so.

I wonder if the could make a 'modified' (from the default behavior) paste.

Something like:
Shift while selecting 'Copy' with the mouse to copy raw text.
or Shift-Paste to paste without style tags
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This would be in line with normal behavior. It might be paste, then paste special that allows you to specify. It might be a bit of a two step with extra keystrokes, but it would be worth it to save eliminating the unexpected extraneous styles inserted.

Often you only know this issue has happened when you try to do something else with the related text in book view...nothing happens.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote