Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 PM   #16
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's a tired argument. It's also a giant non-sequitur.
A conclusion you are welcome to, incorrect though it is. Reading is a visual activity, not an aural activity. One reads with eyes and listens with ears, and not vice-versa. Reading has been adapted to the sightless through their sense of touch. Nothing aural is reading.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:16 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
A conclusion you are welcome to, incorrect though it is. Reading is a visual activity, not an aural activity. One reads with eyes and listens with ears, and not vice-versa. Reading has been adapted to the sightless through their sense of touch. Nothing aural is reading.
I implore you to read the many long discussions already present in the forum archive. Read however you want.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 06:12 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No. I was not incorrect. Regardless of what you or I believe should be deemed "reading", your argument IS actually a) old; and b) the portion of your post I quoted is, in fact, a classic example of a non-sequitur.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I know I am reading less. Damn work has kept me super busy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #20
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. I was not incorrect. Regardless of what you or I believe should be deemed "reading", your argument IS actually a) old; and b) the portion of your post I quoted is, in fact, a classic example of a non-sequitur.
Ok, it's old. I guess that shows people have known for some time that reading is visual not aural and no reading is done with the ears. Listening, and tangentially, consuming books by listening, is done aurally but that isn't reading. It is consuming. And I confirmed this with she who knows all. Literally.

And it's an interesting and very enjoyable discussion.
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You enjoy that dogma you've got happening.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Ok, it's old. I guess that shows people have known for some time that reading is visual not aural and no reading is done with the ears. Listening, and tangentially, consuming books by listening, is done aurally but that isn't reading. It is consuming. And I confirmed this with she who knows all. Literally.

And it's an interesting and very enjoyable discussion.
I agree, reading and listening are both legitimate ways to consume literature but reading is visual and listening is aural.

Look at it in reverse - What if someone makes a speech which is recorded on audio and then transcribed for written publication. If I consume only the written version, would anyone say I had listened to the speech?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Given your opinion,. how can the sightless read given that they cannot see?

I consider reading to be digesting the material be is by hearing, seeing, or touching.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am probably reading less, because I am no longer reading during commutes to work, waiting for an appt, etc. But I still read before going to sleep, at least an hour most nights. So a couple books a month. More if the book is really good, as I am reading at 3 am.

I met someone last week who casually mentioned they never read. I am still pondering how I feel about that, although it is not for me to feel anything.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #25
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given your opinion,. how can the sightless read given that they cannot see?
In my original reply I specifically mentioned Braille for those without sight.

No, reading a transcript of a speech isn't listening to the speech.

There is no overlap between aural and visual (visual being ocular and/or touch).
Old 01-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #26
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I'm thankful for audiobooks - I'm relatively young (late 20s) and audiobooks were my gateway drug. Even when I had trouble paying attention to reading, I could get into a book on tape.

It wasn't until the pandemic that I actually tried to read books physically out of my severe boredom, and now it's blossomed into an obsession.

But the amount of entertainment available to us is astounding nowadays, both amateur and professional alike. I'm not surprised by lower reading rates. Though with social media, I imagine people are still reading in large volumes, just of disjointed content rather than actual narratives.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
I'm thankful for audiobooks - I'm relatively young (late 20s) and audiobooks were my gateway drug. Even when I had trouble paying attention to reading, I could get into a book on tape.
For me, it is the opposite. If I listen to an audiobook while doing something else, my concentration will drift.

I do listen to Old Time radio shows and have no trouble following them. But they tend to be half hour plays and I tend to listen to them at night, before bed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For me, it is the opposite. If I listen to an audiobook while doing something else, my concentration will drift.

I do listen to Old Time radio shows and have no trouble following them. But they tend to be half hour plays and I tend to listen to them at night, before bed.
If you can find it, find Sorry Wrong Number with Agnes Moorehead. It's excellent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can find it, find Sorry Wrong Number with Agnes Moorehead. It's excellent.
It's right here: Sorry, Wrong Number. Part of Suspense, the greatest of the old time radio shows.

It was also made into a pretty good movie starring Barbara Stanwyck and Burt Lancaster: Sorry, Wrong Number
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
In my original reply I specifically mentioned Braille for those without sight.

No, reading a transcript of a speech isn't listening to the speech.

There is no overlap between aural and visual (visual being ocular and/or touch).
Abelist, much? Why are you trying so hard to police how people with disabilities consume content that they literally cannot every consume by your definition of reading? None of us sighted folks have any business telling those with limited or no sight whether or not they are "reading" a book just because they do it differently than we do.

Also, I don't know why you feel that "touch" as reading qualifies it to be reading more than hearing.

Audiobooks are cheaper to buy than braille books, easier to store, and easier to find. This also ignores those who lose their sight later in life and are too infirm or otherwise incapable of learning how to read braille.

Last edited by astrangerhere; 01-21-2022 at 10:28 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote