Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Root for Note Air 2?

I'm curious if anyone has attempted to root their Note Air 2. I'm guessing that the process would be similar to what others have described for other Onyx devices on this forum. I wondered if rooting the Note Air 2 would even be worth the effort, but I can see a couple of possibilities.

If anyone has experience or suggestions, please pass them on.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you have ADB working, please try this: (Sorry if I've asked this already.)
Code:
C:\>adb shell grep Hardware /proc/cpuinfo
My Poke3 says: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc SDM636

If it's the same (or close), you can use EDL mode to download and subsequently modify the boot image.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I get is Qualcomm Technologies, Inc BENGAL

Not sure how close that is!
Old 11-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh? It seems that's a code name for the new Snapdragon 662
There's a 660 driver here https://github.com/bkerler/Loaders/t...alcomm/factory
Not sure how compatible that is.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard

I’ve never worked with EDL mode before. Do you know of some kind of step-by-step guide as to how I’d root my device this way? I assume it involves Magisk and getting a boot image!
Advert
Old 11-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard

Rule #1: There is no need to write anything to flash. You can run a boot image that is not in flash, so hold off writing anything.

Rule #2: If you've got the space, make a full backup on your desktop, then you're bomb-proof.

Do you have ADB working? Have you used UsbView.exe (presuming that you are running Windows? Linux is actually easier with lsusb.)

Step #1: Determine if you can get to EDL. This does no harm but you will have to do a LONG power press to restore usage.
Code:
C:\>adb reboot edl
Does it go off into voodoo-land but the screen remains the same (frozen)?
Does UsbView.exe show VID/PID 05c6/9008? That's EDL mode.

If you want you can use my UsbLog.exe which is found on my website up a level, down to the Windows section. It's quite handy to figure out where all the Windows "bongs" are coming from.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Rule #1: There is no need to write anything to flash. You can run a boot image that is not in flash, so hold off writing anything.

Rule #2: If you've got the space, make a full backup on your desktop, then you're bomb-proof.

Do you have ADB working? Have you used UsbView.exe (presuming that you are running Windows? Linux is actually easier with lsusb.)

Step #1: Determine if you can get to EDL. This does no harm but you will have to do a LONG power press to restore usage.
Code:
C:\>adb reboot edl
Does it go off into voodoo-land but the screen remains the same (frozen)?
Does UsbView.exe show VID/PID 05c6/9008? That's EDL mode.

If you want you can use my UsbLog.exe which is found on my website up a level, down to the Windows section. It's quite handy to figure out where all the Windows "bongs" are coming from.
I have a Mac that has a Windows VM on it. This may or may not complicate the process. I haven't done anything yet! I could set up an Ubuntu VM if that would make anything easier - and assuming that the Ubuntu VM can connect with the Note Air.

I have ADB working on Mac and have ample room on my Mac to back up my Note Air 2. I set up ADB on my Windows VM, but I haven't been able to get Windows to see my Note Air 2 yet. That keeps me from using USBView. There is probably a Mac alternative out there.

I tried adb reboot edl. It goes the voodoo-land route. I was able to reboot it into normal mode before too long.

That's where things are as of now.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

The Mac is fine. Stick with that and skip the VM stuff.
You can run "lsusb -v" on the command line and look for the 9008=good, 900e=not good.

If you have that you can follow the instructions here for install: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

Code:
python edl.py --loader=try-that-660-file.bin --memory=emmc
python edl.py print-gpt --memory=emmc
python edl.py r boot boot.img --memory=emmc
Old 11-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
The Mac is fine. Stick with that and skip the VM stuff.
You can run "lsusb -v" on the command line and look for the 9008=good, 900e=not good.

If you have that you can follow the instructions here for install: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

Code:
python edl.py --loader=try-that-660-file.bin --memory=emmc
python edl.py print-gpt --memory=emmc
python edl.py r boot boot.img --memory=emmc
When I ran "lsusb -v", I didn't see (exactly) either alternative you gave! here's what I got:

USB 3.1 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleT8103USBXHCI

BENGAL-IDP _SN:C3253440:

Product ID: 0x4ee2
Vendor ID: 0x18d1 (Google Inc.)
Version: 4.19
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/s
Manufacturer: QUALCOMM
Location ID: 0x00200000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 896
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Last edited by downeaster59; 11-22-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Yeah, but you have to do that when you're in EDL mode!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #11
downeaster59
Wizard

Oops! Here's the EDL mode result. Looks like I have the 9008 option...

USB 3.1 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleT8103USBXHCI

QUSB_BULK_CID:041C_SN:C3253440:

Product ID: 0x9008
Vendor ID: 0x05c6 (Qualcomm, Inc)
Version: 0.00
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/s
Manufacturer: Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM
Location ID: 0x01200000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 8
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Old 11-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard

Looks good. Now try to install and run that software above. If you run it with no arguments it should? tell you what driver it wants, I believe and tries to load it if you have downloaded all the drivers. You can try with the explicit driver path as in the first line. Once you have a driver, subsequent commands do not need anything to do with that unless you do a reset and then go back to EDL (when you do have to load the driver).

Your ultimate goal is to retrieve boot.img, install Magisk, let it modify boot.img, then fastboot that image so you have a low-risk trial.

Last edited by Renate; 11-22-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard

Time for me to call it a day, so I’ll install and run that software tomorrow! Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Looks good. Now try to install and run that software above. If you run it with no arguments it should? tell you what driver it wants, I believe and tries to load it if you have downloaded all the drivers. You can try with the explicit driver path as in the first line. Once you have a driver, subsequent commands do not need anything to do with that unless you do a reset and then go back to EDL (when you do have to load the driver).

Your ultimate goal is to retrieve boot.img, install Magisk, let it modify boot.img, then fastboot that image so you have a low-risk trial.
I have the software installed. To run it with no arguments, would I enter just edl? I assume I do this with my device in EDL mode?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard

Sure, give it a go. EDL mode, "python edl.py" or "edl.py" or "edl" or whatever works.
I don't know if your install installed the drivers too.
The message that edl will tell you.
If you have no drivers, at least download that 660 driver and explicitly reference it.
If "print-gpt" works, try "r"
As long as you stay away from other commands you should be safe.