Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Software Stew

I'm preparing for an upcoming trip. Let's load some books on the Sony Reader, shall we?

First of all, let's move some books from the Sony eBook Library to the Reader. Whoops! For some reason, the Library shows titles but the books themselves have disappeared. Why? Who knows? It happens frequently, that's why I make backups. Where is that USB drive? Let's re-import again. Now we have duplicate titles. Click each one, delete the "empty" entries. Back everything up... again. Where was I? Right... move to Reader. Please recognize the Reader...

Next, the Adobe DE book. Fire that software up, register the Reader (again, it seems to forget about it every so often), send to Reader. Hey, that worked. Good.

Ok. Now, I also purchased some MobiPocket books. Open the Mobipocket Reader, get the PID. Mobitools... backup. Now, convert them to LRF. So, start up Calibre, import, convert, send to Reader.

This is normal? Count them. 1, 2, 3... 5 software programs to manage books. Plus the books are everywhere. I don't even know where some programs KEEP their books (neither does some of the software, Sony's in particular seems to "forget" where the books are).

I need the one ring to find them all, and in the darkness bind them.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but things are a LOT simpler with MobiPocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have never had problems like that with eBook Library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Wishfull thinking my friend... whisfull thinking.

As long as there are different formats with no standard, thats how it's going to be. Not too mention the thrice-damned DRM! I bought the damn thing, right, I can do with it whatever I want apart from giving it away to someone else. So lay of that already will ya?

But It sure would be nice to have one MEGA-application that will support ALL formats, DRMed or not, could convert perfectly from any format to any other AND that could handle all present and future e-readers .... Oh, and while I am at it, I'd really like to win the lottery as well
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Harry, keep preaching, brother. My habits are evolving toward buying only Mobi titles, and using mobitools and Calibre to get them onto my Reader. That is still technically 3 software programs from three different sources, however.

It's nice to buy directly from Sony, download the book and get it into the Reader with a single software program - but 1) the selection is still limited 2) the prices are significantly higher and 3) Sony DRM isn't yet "broken", so I can't format shift the books for true back-up (in case I ever get a non-Sony reader).
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Open Inkpot....Open Inkpot.....

More seriously, That why I still use my Cybook 1st gen, rather than my Cybook Gen 3. None of the firmware on either the Sony or the Gen 3 is solid enough for open format book types. HTML and .txt are the the most common open formats, but both Cybook and Sony are focused on propriatary formats. <shrug> I'd rather feed Microsoft money for WinCE and be able to get a good open format reader (such as mu-book - and folders too!) than work with all of this half-baked firmware....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I keep all my books on my iLiad, but getting them there was an interesting adventure, and I still occasionally run across one that never got converted to a format supported by FBreader or iPDF. (Though sometimes they're just still zipped, and I know I could deal with that by enabling FBReader to read zip.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
MS Reader format has DRM that's very easily broken. Then converting to LRF is easy using Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The culprit here is DRM. Here's my typical workflow for a non DRM book.

1) Download book
2) Drag and drop into calibre
3) Press convert button
3) Connect reader and wait for conversion to finish (typically 1 minute)
4) Press send to device button
5) Read

Eventually, when I integrate various online books sources into calibre 1) and 2) will be combined into a single step.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The culprit here is DRM. Here's my typical workflow for a non DRM book.

1) Download book
2) Drag and drop into calibre
3) Press convert button
3) Connect reader and wait for conversion to finish (typically 1 minute)
4) Press send to device button
5) Read

Eventually, when I integrate various online books sources into calibre 1) and 2) will be combined into a single step.
Will someday Calibre export files in something different from LRF?

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
epub is just around the corner.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
epub has the advantage that you can touch it up by editing directly where lrf is a binary format.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Will someday Calibre export files in something different from LRF?

When you say "export" do you mean "convert" or "save to disk"? Because the beta calibre does the latter with any format stored in the database. I use it to manage mobi and sony books since I have both devices. While I do have to drop to the command line and use mobiperl to convert a LIT to mobi I can still then index/manage the mobi file with calibre.

Although I think I will buy mobi rather than LIT now that I've got mobi de drm on my PC and working.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
epub has the advantage that you can touch it up by editing directly where lrf is a binary format.
Which is exactly the reason that some authors don't like ePUB without DRM. If you can touch it up you can also alter the text which makes many authors cringe at the thought. Even some of the folks who create the fine eBooks posted here don't like the idea that someone can take their eBooks in source form and modify them or convert them without giving the original person who did all the work any credit. It can be a sensitive subject.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote