Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
sigil doesn't see the TOC.ncx for some reason.

I'm admittedly new to Sigil, though I understand ePub basics and structure. I have a book that was initially converted to ePub from InDesign (ouch).. After much tweaking it was coming along nicely, until opening it in Sigil and trying to validate the ePub file. Having no warning that the files would get moved to /Text was a bummer, which messed up things and screwed the validation. But no worries, I simply rebuilt it in Sigil, thinking that would me it internally consistent.
I thought I was okay, until I needed to keep the original TOC. I've put the TOC.ncx where it should be, and it is in the OPF...but opening the .ePub afterwards shows no TOC at all now (it was working in the original ePub). Opening the book in ADE or Calibre, the book is there, but it says there is no TOC for it.
Anyone know why if the TOC is in the package it might be totally ignored? I wonder if there is some internal reference I'm missing. BTW, in Sigil with the TOC in there, the TOC editor also opens blank.

(Afterthought: ...as nice as Sigil is...it seems to me we need an option to leave internal structure alone since whether Sigil thinks its standard or not, its obviously not what is in standard use yet. A pop-up warning with a choice would be nice.
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The TOC must be referenced in the <spine> section of the OPF:

Code:
<spine toc="ncx">
where "ncx" is the id given in the manifest to the TOC file:

Code:
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Not sure I understand.

Take the same EPUB. Using Sigil with Wine on Linux.
- opened with Sigil 0.2.4. There is a TOC editor (F7) and I can see the TOC.
- opened with Sigil 0.4 beta. No TOC Editor.

Something seems to be missing or... ?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Not sure I understand.

Take the same EPUB. Using Sigil with Wine on Linux.
- opened with Sigil 0.2.4. There is a TOC editor (F7) and I can see the TOC.
- opened with Sigil 0.4 beta. No TOC Editor.

Something seems to be missing or... ?
IIRC ( I rolled back to 3.4 because of other issues I was having) the (F7) Toc Editor is Gone in 4 , you now have a NCX editor.

Sigil will no longer destroy an existing TOC (NCX file), you may edit it by hand or press the button to cause Sigil to do it the old way :P .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, sorry. I should have read it. Thanks.
http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/03/sigil-0401.html

Now, I am just trying to attach again the book browser window.

It seems that the right click with "restauration" does not work with Wine. Will have to download a new Sigil and never touch again this little button.

Done. Now with beta 3.

Last edited by roger64; 05-14-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Oh, sorry. I should have read it. Thanks.
http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/03/sigil-0401.html

Now, I am just trying to attach again the book browser window.

It seems that the right click with "restauration" does not work with Wine. Will have to download a new Sigil and never touch again this little button.

Done. Now with beta 3.
I run triple head (screens), I normally run detached , with Sigil on a Portrait screen

It is a major PITA to dock a detached Sigil window.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard

No PITA. Only one head here.