Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #16
MartinElk
MartinElk began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 8
Angry New Version 2.0.0 has many bugs/issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My Calibre Companion updated on my iPad Pro, and all of my books are gone from the app.

All 2,332 books are still in my iPad mini CC ap, which I've not updated.

I'm not happy.
It did the same on my iPhone 8 when I updated Calibre Companion last night.

It deleted over 2500 books! After I added them all back in, the search feature and the Filter options find just a handful of the Authors, Titles, Series, etc.
I can't use any of them to find the Titles or Authors that ARE there! And with over 2500 books it's almost impossible to find a specific Title, or ALL the Books by an Author.

These issues need to be fixed ASAP!!

Please comment back on the numerous issues people have left you here on these issues.
MartinElk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Mims
Zealot
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I have one iPad that unfortunately was set to automatically update apps so everything was wiped from cc. My other three device are fortunately okay. If we do not update, can the developer change the wireless and content server connection within the main Calibre program thus rendering the older version useless? I recently ran into the password issue that others have mentioned.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
samcohen
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi everyone,

Sorry you are so upset. This is a serious mistake that we are currently working on fixing. I'm doing my best. This new update was to get the codebase up to swift standards. I did not anticipate the issues with it deleting everything in everyone's library.

As for the crazy difference in prices. We were just running different pricing models to check out the differences in conversion rates.

The subscription model is best for the business as a whole and will incentivize the team to work on a lot of updates. Unfortunately, our first update was crap so I'm sure that left a bad taste in your mouth. If you do not wish to continue with the updates I completely understand. The change is going to be to $.99 per month. We have had a lot of community members add lots of great suggestions to the trello board which we plan to immplement. Hope you all stick around to see all the new (much better) updates.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's a real shame to force people to use yet another system to comment on changes; one where I can't even view without registration
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
orchid500
orchid500 began at the beginning.

Device: WIN10/Iphone/Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid500 View Post

- Before the update I could one-tap on the "On device" button and download several books at the same time - Now I have to make three clicks all over the screen for one book and wait until it is downloaded until I can click the next one! Or is there somewhere a collection function to download several books at once?
For me this means literally hours to download all my books with 3 clicks each again and then also manually set them as read - simply not acceptable.

- Overview (Tap on "Back" in the top left corner, usual view when not connected) does not show the thump nail pictures, just white placeholders and title + author in black writing. Could not find anything disabled in the settings that would explain this.
Also I am disconnected every time I look at the overview - when I change the view, I then have to connect again every time.

Also I am interested in the explanation for the "subscription model" change.
Update:
one-tap download works now - still downloading and marking as read each and every book manually.

Overview shows now thump nail pictures, but not from the earlier downloaded ones. Had to delete the books without thump nail pictures and when downloaded again, those books also showed the thump nails.
But am still disconnected every time I go to the overview and have to connect again in order to view another view.

Wanted to sort the overwiev according to the date I added them to the main calibre but this does not work! I do not know how it's sorted but definitly not according to when I added the books to the main calibre.

Surprisingly I never had problems to connect with the content server to transfer, that worked always without a hitch.
orchid500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
orchid500
orchid500 began at the beginning.

Device: WIN10/Iphone/Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry you are so upset. This is a serious mistake that we are currently working on fixing. I'm doing my best. This new update was to get the codebase up to swift standards. I did not anticipate the issues with it deleting everything in everyone's library.

As for the crazy difference in prices. We were just running different pricing models to check out the differences in conversion rates.

The subscription model is best for the business as a whole and will incentivize the team to work on a lot of updates. Unfortunately, our first update was crap so I'm sure that left a bad taste in your mouth. If you do not wish to continue with the updates I completely understand. The change is going to be to $.99 per month. We have had a lot of community members add lots of great suggestions to the trello board which we plan to immplement. Hope you all stick around to see all the new (much better) updates.

Do I get that right: In order to update the calibre companion app in the future we all have to pay 99 Cents every month?
orchid500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
So, if we don't pay the monthly subscription fee, we will lose functionality of the app? Plain answer please.

I've been able to send 216 books back to my iPad Pro, and have been working on it for 2 hours.It's taking way too long, I'm not going to bother with the rest of my 2,000 books if the subscription charges are coming.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #23
LostJen
LostJen began at the beginning.

Device: Pi server - Win10/iPhone/iPad + 2 others with Kindles in house
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
Hi everyone,

This is an intermediate tool for a FREE open source server. You still have to have a reader which may or may not cost. A subscription is ABSURD! How much are you giving to Kovid Goyal and the other contributors of the server that you require to function? Do they know how much you are trying to profit off their work?

This release is flat out broken and unusable for OPDS users. Did you seriously just threaten us that we don't pay for sub, you won't fix?

I'm guessing I got stung by your variable pricing since I remember $5 before, but when I was finished with the port to the new server it was $10. As for me I've already written off the $10 I paid for 4 days worth of CC. I will never use it again because I feel slimy by exposure to an app written by people exploiting open source servers for money.

Marvin is a beautiful reader that supports OPDS (albeit slow to update - which isn't really that bad - kindles don't update daily either)

Let's do the math.
Marvin
$4.99 - EVER

CC
$9.99 + $0.99/month and also $x for reader of choice

I just still can't wrap my mind around someone with the guts to charge so much for an adapter to an open source server.
LostJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #24
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Speaking here to the members of MR...how many of you signed up at Trello? You can't read there without signing up, and I was hesitant to do so.

I'm even more hesitant now.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #25
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro 2018, Lg 8.3, Ipad Mini 5, Nexus7.2, Note 8, Kobo Aura 1
I'm new to IOS, but not CC on Android. Too bad a fine piece of software has been ruined by someone's greed. Obviously IOS CC is no longer an option to me - can someone direct me to where I can find out how to get ebooks from Calibre to Marvin?
I don't know what OPDS means.

Found out how, in case anyone else needs to know:
https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Calib...nc-with-Marvin

Last edited by peaceridge; 09-18-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: found answer
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #26
jehrler
Enthusiast
jehrler began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Speaking here to the members of MR...how many of you signed up at Trello? You can't read there without signing up, and I was hesitant to do so.

I'm even more hesitant now.
Not even sure where info to sign up even is. I couldn’t find it.

Never mind, saw it in the sticky. Not nearly as open and easy to read as here. Plus the extra login.

Last edited by jehrler; 09-18-2019 at 08:26 PM.
jehrler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
Deskisamess
Wizard

Can you export books out of Marvin once they are downloaded? That was why I liked CC...I could get a book from there into Dropbox, then use Send to Kindle to get it to my Oasis or Paperwhite without having to use my computer.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehrler View Post
Not even sure where info to sign up even is. I couldn’t find it.
There is a thread "Stickied" at the top of this forum that says Calibre Companion Trello Board, and another sticky about Changing Of the Guard, which introduced this new fellow who took over the reins at CC.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #29
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.pazos knows what's going on.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
MultiPie was a great company delivering good products. They closed and transfered assets to interested third party. Some background:

multipie, (it was the main calibre companion site)
who's working on calibre companion
Calibre Companion has been sold
Changing of the Guard

IMHO the new direction is pushing PR/social marketing over development: hence we have the new web and asociated private chats.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I got wiped out by the update as well. Yea, not happy since my library has around 3700 books in it and it takes a long time to download everything and it's not exactly something you can do in the back ground.

As far as the subscription model goes. I'm a lot more understanding about that. First, Apple is pushing developers to use the subscription model. Second, if you want someone to keep maintaining and updating the program, this is likely the only model that works. Otherwise it's simply a hobby for a developer who either updates it when he or she has time, or perhaps loses interest. $12 a year doesn't strike me as excessive, as long as there are updates, bug fixes and improvements on a regular basis. It certainly beats having to deal with an abandoned App like many apps I've used over the years. Before they announced that the iOS version was being taken over by a new programmer, I had assumed that the iOS version was abandonware and that it would only be a matter of time before I had to figure something else out.

I'm understanding that doing a big rewrite to bring the code of to specs in Swift might introduce some bugs, but generally, that's why programmers do beta testing. Hopefully, this is a lesson learned.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote