Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #76
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh, sorry--my bad; I don't know what I was thinking. The Clip Zip and Clip Sport models definitely can play flac files, as can the AGPTek mp3 player I'm currently using. The newer Clip Jam from Sansa can't, though.
The Clip Jam was the only Clip that didn't support FLAC.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #77
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Honest confusion? There *are* five (last time I counted) different models of "Sansa Clip" devices, some of which have nothing in common with the rest besides the name.
There are 6 models:

Clip (2007), Clip+ (2009), Clip Zip (2011), Clip Sport (2014), Clip Jam (2015), Clip Sport Plus (2016)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #78
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I remember ripping my CDs to mp3. It took me an entire weekend and broke the DVD drive on my then-new laptop* It was time-consuming in annoying way because the rip of each CD took < 5m. Long enough so there was 'idle time' in the task itself, short enough to not really allow you to start doing something else entirely.

There's no way I would want to go back and re-rip them. Too much effort for too little benefit. I might consider buying them again before I did that.

FWIW the handful of CDs I've bought in the last few years I have ripped to FLAC (as well as mp3).

(*not completely, it would still read DVDs, but after ripping > 200 CDs it no longer read CDs)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #79
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I remember ripping my CDs to mp3. It took me an entire weekend and broke the DVD drive on my then-new laptop* It was time-consuming in annoying way because the rip of each CD took < 5m. Long enough so there was 'idle time' in the task itself, short enough to not really allow you to start doing something else entirely.

There's no way I would want to go back and re-rip them. Too much effort for too little benefit. I might consider buying them again before I did that.

FWIW the handful of CDs I've bought in the last few years I have ripped to FLAC (as well as mp3).

(*not completely, it would still read DVDs, but after ripping > 200 CDs it no longer read CDs)
I remember when I did all my CDs. I rearranged my kitchen in <5 minute intervals. The CDs and the kitchen took about the same length of time. It amazed me how much one can accomplish in a minute or two.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #80
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't remember finding it time-consuming to rip the CDs to mp3, though it's been a while since I did all the old ones; what takes forever is tagging them! I still have a lot that haven't been properly tagged (I am rather OCD about it).
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #81
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Honest confusion? There *are* five (last time I counted) different models of "Sansa Clip" devices, some of which have nothing in common with the rest besides the name.
Except that I undercut my own argument--I said it didn't seem worth bothering with flac since only my computer could play the files, whereas in truth all my portable devices can play them! Duh!

(My home stereos can't, though. I double-checked that.)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #82
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
(My home stereos can't, though. I double-checked that.)
Well, if you plug your portable into your home stereo as a source.....

Are you wanting to be convinced to switch to FLAC?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you RIP to FLAC and then want a different format, you can use Foobar2000 to convert to the other format from FLAC. You'll still have the FLAC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #84
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Well, if you plug your portable into your home stereo as a source.....

Are you wanting to be convinced to switch to FLAC?
Plugging it in means I can't use a remote, plus there's the issue of battery life unless I also connect the player to an outlet. That's why I like burning mp3 CDs to use in my home stereo. Or I can play mp3 files from a flash drive.

I don't see myself switching to flac, but I do worry about all my preferred file formats becoming obsolete.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ripping to FLAC means that you have all the bits from the CD. So if you do someday want to use a different format other than MP3, you don't need to rip again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #86
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i don't buy music cds anymore. but when i did, i would put it into a computer only once. with this one time, i create an iso image of it and stored the image on an external hard drive. then using a virtual cd rom software, i would load the iso image, creating a virtual cd drive with the music cd loaded. from here i begin the ripping process. it's much faster than ripping the physical disc. and it prevents scratching up the physical disc from repeated use. i still have a hard drive with more than 700 images on it. and i've given away most of the physical cds.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #87
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
I've done four library rips over the years.

The first time was on a G3 iMac (one of the last G3 iMacs) for my Creative Nomad Jukebox, one of the first hard drive-based players with a whopping 6GB drive which I replaced with a 20GB drive. The rip and conversion took a long time as did transfer via USB 1.1.

The second time came shortly after Apple introduced AAC as an option in iTunes. By this point I'd replaced my Nomad with a larger iPod in no small part due to the many times faster Firewire connection.

The third time came soon after ALAC became widely available. Computers and optical drives were fast enough by this point that rip and encoding times per disc were many times faster than the G3 iMac days. And I figured this would be the last time I would re-rip the entire library. I was wrong.

The fourth and final happened over a span of several months late last year and early this year. This time I went FLAC with solid images (each file = 1 complete disc) with CUE sheets and accuraterip checks for everything. This really will be the last time barring total catastrophe with my storage and backups.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #88
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The fourth and final happened over a span of several months late last year and early this year. This time I went FLAC with solid images (each file = 1 complete disc) with CUE sheets and accuraterip checks for everything. This really will be the last time barring total catastrophe with my storage and backups.
What do you gain by ripping to a single lossless image vs one lossless file per track?

Personally I've just ripped stuff to one ALAC file per track. Though sometimes it is quicker to find a lossless torrent of a CD (important: that I own) than to re-rip it...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #89
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I don't see myself switching to flac, but I do worry about all my preferred file formats becoming obsolete.
Now that MP3 is no longer encumbered by patents, it is less likely to become obsolete than before (at least in the sense of having available programs for decoding it). It is only obsolete as a revenue source for Fraunhofer. So, no need to worry.

Last edited by rkomar; 05-24-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Got the company name wrong.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #90
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What do you gain by ripping to a single lossless image vs one lossless file per track?
Bit-perfect pre-gap and post-gap between tracks.

Also, more efficient storage on large FAT32 file systems.

Quote:
Personally I've just ripped stuff to one ALAC file per track. Though sometimes it is quicker to find a lossless torrent of a CD (important: that I own) than to re-rip it...
C.f. MicroSparc, Inc. vs. Amtype Corp. for why you might not want to be admitting that in public.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote